What I now miss about the VIP's

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
1. Inactivity Disable...NOT on the hopper, regardless of the option. Does not work.

2. GUI on Recordings. Tiles were Nice eye candy at first, but I wish there was an option to go back to the simple WORD lists.

3. Overall, less user friendly

4. No update time options

5. BUT, still some cool things.

2. GUI on Recordings. Tiles were Nice eye candy at first, but I wish there was an option to go back to the simple WORD lists.
I HATE HATE HATE the direction all GUIs are going nowadays, whether it's websites, DVRs, or full-blown OS's...a graphical tiled interface is fine for smaller screen smartphones and tablets, but not for everything.

KAB said:
1. Inactivity Disable...NOT on the hopper, regardless of the option. Does not work.

3. Overall, less user friendly

4. No update time options

5. BUT, still some cool things.

Just wondering what specifically you think is less user friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Just wondering what specifically you think is less user friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
The Menu system. Too many TILES/TILES/TILES to work through.

Inactivity adjustment works fine, just gotta find it. Was a bitch of mine at first.

I love the Gui and the speed. I generally dont like change, hated Win 8 at first, but it grows on you. Coming from Directv, I like the Gui a lot.

I had similar feelings at first. It's just what you're used to (at least it was for me.) Overall, I like the Hopper look and feel better now. There are still one or two things that the 722k can do that Hopper cannot. There are far more things that Hopper can do that 722k cannot, though. Slowly but surely, with software updates, Dish has been closing the gap between what 722k can and what Hopper cannot. Soon enough, I think that the gap will be closed completely, yet Hopper will still have far more features. Are you saying that you know where the inactivity timer setting is and it doesn't work, or are you having trouble finding the option? Works fine here.

One thing that I LOVE about Hopper that 722k cannot do, is sort shows by episode number. I wanted that feature for years. I also love that the Hopper actually makes use of the colored shortcut buttons, rather than the practically useless colored buttons on 722k. I also love the radio remote, that can backup timers automatically without having to be 2 feet away from the receiver. Then of course, there's WHDVR, and the massive upgrade in storage space. Then there's the ability to connect multiple EHDs. Those are just some of the many features I never had before with 722k that I now "can't live without."

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Inactivity standby is on Hopper, press menu, settings, diagnosis, updates. Not sure what you mean by it doesn't work?

What I said. Found it. Disabled it, five days in a row. After two hours, it's BACK.

KAB said:
What I said. Found it. Disabled it, five days in a row. After two hours, it's BACK.

Try setting to 4 hours or something. I personally use 4 hours and never get bothered with the popup.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

The Menu system. Too many TILES/TILES/TILES to work through.
completely agree. The whole thing could be condensed and rearranged to be more intuitive. Right now it just feels a bit clumsy. I would also include the limited ability to manage the recordings folder that we mentioned way back in March (when you have a 2TB hard drive).

One positive thing though... the last update of s230 really shows that Dish is starting to improve the usability of the Hopper. It's definitely a good sign.

The new interface is the cat's meow! I was skeptical, but it didn't take long to appreciate it. I have the recording icons sorted by DVR date and grouped by name. There are about the same number of shows on a page as there would be with a list, but seeing what you want is faster with icons. When I click on a program, I have the episode list sorted by episode number, another big improvement. Here icons aren't necessary as you know what program you are looking at. Lists on the initial page would never be as intuitive as the icons. Get used to it!

I have the recording icons sorted by DVR date and grouped by name. There are about the same number of shows on a page as there would be with a list, but seeing what you want is faster with icons...Get used to it!
So you use thumbnail view in Windows as opposed to list or detail view too? :)

Yep I've gotten pretty good at finding shows just by their icons. The icons are bigger than list view on the 722k too. It would be nice to have the option to switch back and forth though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Yep I've gotten pretty good at finding shows just by their icons. The icons are bigger than list view on the 722k too. It would be nice to have the option to switch back and forth though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys
It would be nice to have options, but one reason I upgraded to the Hopper was because of the new interface. If a list view were that important to me I probably wouldn't have made the hop....

What has the WAF experience been on the Hopper/Joey system when moving from a VIP based system?

Moderately positive. My wife isn't happy with a few of the glitches that the ViPs didn't have (for example the Hopper doesn't always react well to "catching up to live" when we start watching a timer that's still in progress), but overall she's happy with the system.

(Personally I find it a big improvement over the VIP's, warts and all)