DISH retention offers

PortlandChris

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Portland, OR
What are people getting from DISH retention to stay on.

My last deal - a $30 credit - is expiring.

I have Comcast internet and can save at least that on a bundle package.

I can keep Comcast internet and add the unlimited data option and get FUBO, HULU, or Youtube and save a bundle as well.

I give up a great DVR, PTAT if I leave DISH.

But its all about dollars. What are people getting right now? If DISH does not give me at least the same $30 off, it's academic, I have to leave. Not overpaying for all of this.

What are people getting from DISH retention to stay on.

My last deal - a $30 credit - is expiring.

I have Comcast internet and can save at least that on a bundle package.

I can keep Comcast internet and add the unlimited data option and get FUBO, HULU, or Youtube and save a bundle as well.

I give up a great DVR, PTAT if I leave DISH.

But its all about dollars. What are people getting right now? If DISH does not give me at least the same $30 off, it's academic, I have to leave. Not overpaying for all of this.
When mine was up, I asked to go back to the rate I was at previously, which was the current new customer rate, if I agreed to a new 2 yr agreement

My two year agreement ended a couple of days ago. I didn't bother calling and asking for a new one because the cost would go up $10, even if I was offered the same deal.

As little as I am watching Dish these days, even the old amount is too much. I considered switching to Sling Blue, but couldn't take the "window box" fast forwarding. So I switched from AT-200 to Flex with the news add-on (and no local channels) and got the monthly down to $69 and change.

That will hold me for the next few months, but I may end my subscription with next price increase.

Reactions: TheKrell
I do not like the reply "you are out of offers" when you ask for a discount. I got a few dollars for a couple of months and now they cannot help me. NO WAY I am signing a 2-yr deal with DISH, no telling what channels will fall next!!!! Sports Channels leaving fast. NFL, maybe. How can you trust DISH for 24 months? I have been with DISH for over 25 years and joined to increase my sports. I was able to watch MSG, SNY, etc. Even the sports package is useless as DISH cut so many regional packages!

Right now I am looking hard at either Comcast's own service, or Fubo as an alternative. With Fubo's family plan going for $65, it may be a winner.

But I will say that PTAT and DISH's DVR is the best in the business. So this is worth something.

But I feel like I need more than my old $30 credit to make this work.

Right now I am looking hard at either Comcast's own service, or Fubo as an alternative. With Fubo's family plan going for $65, it may be a winner.

But I will say that PTAT and DISH's DVR is the best in the business. So this is worth something.

It might help if you listed exactly what packages and equipment that you currently have with Dish now. We may be able to recommend options that you could cut back on, to lower your monthly bill. If you are already down to Welcome Pack with only one receiver on the account, then there may not be much lower you can go. If you have anything above that level, then there are always ways to cut back. :)

Reactions: HipKat
Why does it matter what offers others get? If I tell you I got $50 off/month (I don't), but they only offer you $20, are you going to say "this guy on the internet says he gets $50 off each month."?

Contact them and find out what you can get. Then decide if it's worth it. I just suggest doing so a week or two before you're due to expire, so you have time to cancel before the next bill.

Reactions: joegr and HipKat
If it were purely about the Benjamins, we’d all be at the library.

It’s about value for the money. To me Dish is good value. Cable isn’t, and last I looked, cost MORE than Dish for an equivalent package. Certainly, Verizon FiOS was notably more expensive, and had EHD support no more.

I have Dish Welcome Pack and a TiVo OTA. I also get Amazon Prime and that is mostly what I watch, since the pandemic has killed network tv. I rarely watch Dish anymore. Mostly Prime thru Roku. Networks now carry stupid reality shows and remote interviews, which suck. These stars wioking from home rarely even put on make up or comb their hair and half are drunk.

Good luck with Comcast. Garbage DVR, lesser PQ

Why does it matter what offers others get? If I tell you I got $50 off/month (I don't), but they only offer you $20, are you going to say "this guy on the internet says he gets $50 off each month."?

Contact them and find out what you can get. Then decide if it's worth it. I just suggest doing so a week or two before you're due to expire, so you have time to cancel before the next bill.
In my experience, you get better offers if you wait until after all of the old credits expire. Hopefully, the timing works out so that there is still time in-between the day the credits expire and the day the next bill is issued, giving you time to either negotiate a new deal or cancel service.

It might help if you listed exactly what packages and equipment that you currently have with Dish now. We may be able to recommend options that you could cut back on, to lower your monthly bill. If you are already down to Welcome Pack with only one receiver on the account, then there may not be much lower you can go. If you have anything above that level, then there are always ways to cut back. :)

My programming shifts between 120 and 120 plus, depending on sports seasons. Right now, I have no need for 120 plus, but most times of the year - yes. 120 Plus is geared more toward college athletics it seems. I am not going to the welcome pack, and doing all of that. The channels I normally watch are locals, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, FS1 (rarely FS2), and RSNs. Once in awhile I watch the news and business channels, but other that that, Io don't watch. And we know RSNs went south with DISH and they never carried CSN NW anyway. So that's already a strike on DISH. And sports right now is sparse, so that factors into it a little.

I have Comcast internet, and I have figured out the before/after comparable packages with 120 plus and Comcast (when I bundle) is pretty substantial - even after promo rate difference is not considered. And yeah I pay some local franchise fee taxes. But still unless DISH gives me a sweet offer (even more than my $30) Comcast is actually cheaper IF I don't carry ESPNU. That channel - for whatever reason on Comcast - is in a higher tier package. Seems silly and I think I can pick it up here and there with their sports pack. And yes, I have figured out all of Comcast's fees, RSN fees, broadcast TV fees, franchise taxes, box fees, etc.

Good luck with Comcast. Garbage DVR, lesser PQ

Sure, its not as good as the Hopper, no doubt. But non promo to non promo the rate is about $40 when I bundle. Cancelling Comcast's internet is not an option. The DSL service here is awful and not even realistically workable. So you are forced to pay Comcast's rates

Sure, its not as good as the Hopper, no doubt. But non promo to non promo the rate is about $40 when I bundle. Cancelling Comcast's internet is not an option. The DSL service here is awful and not even realistically workable. So you are forced to pay Comcast's rates
Well, it really comes down to which equipment you like better (clearly the Hopper). According to the link in post number 5, Dish's promo rate for either Flex Pack or AT120 would be $42.99, with AT120+ being $15 higher than that at $57.99 per month. With Flex Pack, you could add and remove the Sports packs , Local channels, and News Pack as often as you want, to watch the games and other programming you want to see, while still saving money. Removing the add-on pack the same day you add it results in a prorated credit that completely offsets the prorated charge, so there is zero cost to watch the pack that day. There is also no limit to the number of times per month that you can make programming changes. So, it takes a little micro-managing, but it is possible to come close to that $40 Comcast rate, while still keeping your Dish equipment. With Dish's offer, your price ($42.99) would be price-locked for two years. I am not sure what kind of price-lock comes with Comcast's offer. Also, Dish's offer includes a $5 discount and price-lock on the Hopper DVR fee. So, that is something to consider, if you are not already getting that DVR fee discount.

Well, it really comes down to which equipment you like better (clearly the Hopper). According to the link in post number 5, Dish's promo rate for either Flex Pack or AT120 would be $42.99, with AT120+ being $15 higher than that at $57.99 per month. With Flex Pack, you could add and remove the Sports packs , Local channels, and News Pack as often as you want, to watch the games and other programming you want to see, while still saving money. Removing the add-on pack the same day you add it results in a prorated credit that completely offsets the prorated charge, so there is zero cost to watch the pack that day. There is also no limit to the number of times per month that you can make programming changes. So, it takes a little micro-managing, but it is possible to come close to that $40 Comcast rate, while still keeping your Dish equipment. With Dish's offer, your price ($42.99) would be price-locked for two years. I am not sure what kind of price-lock comes with Comcast's offer. Also, Dish's offer includes a $5 discount and price-lock on the Hopper DVR fee. So, that is something to consider, if you are not already getting that DVR fee discount.

Yeah, I did look at the Flex packs, those are a no go with what I see in those packages. The current $30 off I have comes with no price lock, so not sure how that fits.

I had to get my buddy's bill and prepare a huge spreadsheet to track all of this.

I have a bit of time before jumping ship if I choose.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)