Dish/RVU

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
I wonder if Dish will support RVU technology in upcoming receivers. It really seams like this will *finally* take off with TV's this year. That 5 tuner Direct box looks incredible.

I'm worried Dish may skip it, due to Sling, but it just seems so cool to be able to access your 'server' from the TV directly.

I think DISH has sunk all it's resources into the sling thing and they don't want to try another new technology right now. They still haven't got the sling tech to work well with their existing receivers. Due to many factors but mostly the internet bandwith needed to do hd right. Most people don't have high speed internet, which leaves out a lot of subs that would want the sling technology. The rest who get the sling adapter or the 922 are left frustrated because they now have to change their internet provider and pay more, as well as have the latest computer with the latest tech to do sling right. That was my case. Last year when I got the 922 , I had to upgrade my computer to get the minimum requirements to do sling in hd as well as move from dsl to cable internet ,which of course costed me more. If DISH persist in making this all about sling for another year or two ,I'm afraid they will be left behind by the competition ,mostly DIRECTV. They have MRV and now the idea of 5 tuners makes DISH look antique and stagnant in the direction they are still headed.

Echostar has now been a member of the RVU alliance for awhile, and it either because they are bringing mrv on the heels of dtv innovation or they working on rvu compatibility for sling.

Well, since Echostar and Dish are separate companies now, there's not a competitive reason to avoid certain technologies. For example, Echostar markets the 922 to cable companies (though none have picked it up). I think Dish will eventually come up with a whole home solution, not necessarily just because DirecTV is, but because Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) is as well. Who knows what the final product for Dish will look like, but it kind of looks like RVU may become the standard, since DirecTV, Cisco, Motorola, and Echostar (and by extension Sling) are all members (Echostar being at the lowest level of membership, however). The last major set top box manufacturer missing is Tivo.

Well, Stonecold... It is no doubt I am a fan of Dish. I would hope that they would do this. I love the interaction of this and the television. It is exactly what I have been looking for. I have it somewhat, at this point, via a Cablecard, Ceton PCI-E card and Xbox 360's all over the house... Just the idea of ONLY the TV is great. I would actually feel the same way if Samsung, etc... would build great TV's with Windows Media Center built in.

Seems like Direct is pushing this and they deserve credit for that. I just hope Dish does more than be part of it, I hope they participate fully in it.

Problem is that it needs to be more than one manufacturer producing these TVs or it just won't take off. There were similar solutions available for cable TV to get rid of their set top boxes in the form of CableCARD and Tru2Way but neither had enough set manufacturer support and neither have taken off. With those two standards there were only two or three manufacturers that supported it and only in a limited number of premium TV sets. If RVU is going to take off instead of flopping then it needs the support of a large number of manufacturers and it has to be included in almost every one of their sets that they possibly can. Otherwise consumers aren't going to bother buying them and it'll be another great idea dead in the water.

Problem is that it needs to be more than one manufacturer producing these TVs or it just won't take off. There were similar solutions available for cable TV to get rid of their set top boxes in the form of CableCARD and Tru2Way but neither had enough set manufacturer support and neither have taken off. With those two standards there were only two or three manufacturers that supported it and only in a limited number of premium TV sets. If RVU is going to take off instead of flopping then it needs the support of a large number of manufacturers and it has to be included in almost every one of their sets that they possibly can. Otherwise consumers aren't going to bother buying them and it'll be another great idea dead in the water.

That is where I think your wrong. I believe that it will make it by being pushed out via STB, between lets say directv, echostar, and Cisco aka SA, Motorola set top boxes you got most of the nation covered. tvs will come 2nd I know that LG is going to announce some rvu tvs as well. Broadcom has integrated it on alot of the current and future SOC (system on a chip ) designs and they deal with almost ever provider who has a current internet enabled tv.

So I think it will get there it a matter of STB comming first as if there no HMC30 form Directv or the inequivalent from Echostar for dish , or from cisco/SA for the cable industry we wont see it on tvs as there would be no point as they would have nothing to connect to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts