DISH Satellite Locations vs. DirecTV

sgupta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Hey all,

So, I'm in a boat I don't want to be in. lol.

I've been a DirecTV customer for several years now and quite happy overall as I've had the DirecTivo. But unfortunately, I'm starting to lose all my HD because it's all going to MPEG4, which is fine, but I am unable to upgrade to the 5-LNB dish it seems because of a tree just off my property. (Though I'm still not convinced the installers tried everything they could...).

So now, in order to keep HD, I'm going to need to change to either cable or Dish.

My question is, are Dish's satellites in the same part of the sky and general location as DirecTV's, or is it completely different? I'm wondering if Dish would have the same installation problems...

Thanks!

Hey all,

I've been a DirecTV customer for several years now and quite happy overall as I've had the DirecTivo. But unfortunately, I'm starting to lose all my HD because it's all going to MPEG4, which is fine, but I am unable to upgrade to the 5-LNB dish it seems because of a tree just off my property. (Though I'm still not convinced the installers tried everything they could...).

So now, in order to keep HD, I'm going to need to change to either cable or Dish.

My question is, are Dish's satellites in the same part of the sky and general location as DirecTV's, or is it completely different? I'm wondering if Dish would have the same installation problems...

Thanks!

Dishnet:

East 61.5, 72.7, 77
or
West 110, 119, 129

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

Hey all,

Thanks!

Did they try moving or placing the new dish to get a clear line of site or are they going off of where your current dish is located?

Hey all,

Thanks!

It depends on where you live and if you want HD Locals. Some Locals are on the Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7, & 77) and others are on the Western Arc (110., 119, 129).

It depends on where you live and if you want HD Locals. Some Locals are on the Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7, & 77) and others are on the Western Arc (110., 119, 129).

And some are still mixed eastern and western. I have 2 dishes. One for 110 and 119 and one for 61.5

Directv uses 101 for the single round dish for Ka they use locations 2 degrees either side of 101 (99 & 103). If you were using 101 it is hard to believe that you couldn't see the 2 Ka satellites. If you used the 3 LNB oval for D* you looked at 101/110 & 119 the 110 and 119 locations are shared with DISH Network so you could have problems receiving DISH if your D* reception problems was 110 or 119.

Supposedly (DirecTV) tried all over my roof and couldn't get a signal for the new 5-LNB dish (but also told me they had no idea how the current 3-LNB dish was working...so, I kind of wonder if they tried it if it would have worked, but they weren't willing to install a dish where they couldn't seem to get signal). Even had a Supervisor come out with no luck at all, but they did not seem like they wanted to try all that hard to get it working... (I was *told* a supervisor had revisted the property, but I wasn't here when he came and they didn't let me know he was coming...)

As far as my location, I'm on the East coast in northwestern PA (Warren, PA, which is close to Erie, PA). Does knowing that help at all?

It's not like my back yard is a forest or anything. But there are some trees, and some are apparently in the exactly wrong area.

Thanks for all the great info guys...

I hava a similar situation. I had DirecTV for a short time 8 years ago. The single lnb dish is mounted off of my deck railing pointing South (slightly West). I just ordered Dish yesterday (with locals) and am hoping that the location will still work so there doesn't need to be any drilling into the side of my house or roof. (I'm in Omaha Nebraska)