Dish saying I have a ETF...I disagree, DIRT support?

FearTheVoices

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
NH
So I canceled dish after 11 years yesterday for the PS Vue. I had a 4K Joey installed back in early December and was supposed to be a no contract addition and install. I was able to get this offer from dish support as I had constant issues with my Joey 2.0 since originally getting it. Anyway the day of install came and the tech had no idea about this. I mentioned it immediately prior to him starting. He said there was nothing on his paperwork regarding this no contract requirement. I asked him to either call and confirm there was no contract or I would not go ahead with the install (not signing a 2 year contract for a 4K Joey lol).

So the tech called and it was confirmed that the dish rep I originally spoke to put those in the notes so we went ahead with install. I called yesterday to cancel and after a couple holds she said I do have an ETF . I did not have a chance to say anything about the install notes previously mentioned because we got disconnected shortly after that. Needless to say I was steaming at that point and didn't call back. About an hour later my service went down Andy got the disconnection of service email with no info on how to return equipment or anything else(etf etc..)

I have more faith in the DIRT team to look into this if possible. If not I will just call back Monday and see what's going on exactly. If I have to pay it oh well. It's not a huge issue but more of trust and good customer service issue. If I do have to pay there is no chance of dish ever getting me back as a customer. I was also going to try the Sling free three month trial with the Apple TV deal since I have to buy another one for downstairs anyway. Won't even bother trying Sling out after this whole ordeal depending how it pans out.

Oh and they said they had my signature on the techs paperwork as well? I don't remember signing anything, and after looking at the signatures it doesn't even look like mine!!

My interactions with the DIRT team have always been very good with whatever issue I was bringing up getting solved. It isn't instant communications though.

I use two methods to contact Dish.
#1 : The DIRT team. Professional and so far, has been perfect or as nearly so as you can get with Dish.
#2 : Online chat with Dish. Nearly as good as using DIRT.

With both methods you have a record of whatever deal you make. With chat you take out the issue of misunderstanding because of accents or usage. Note that I almost never use the phone. Too many chances for something to get miscommunicated.

I've had 50/50 success with Dirt.

My Hopper 3 upgrade was handled better by Dish Chat.

With at times Days to respond to a request with Dirt, IMO you might as well just use the 800 number or Dish chat,And get your issues resolved in about 15 minutes.

While Dirt is a Nice asset for the site, I've never had Dirt do anything that couldn't be done over the phone with Dish.

But it's understandable, Satelliteguys isn't the only place Dirt is located.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

My last 2 attempts to use DIRT have resulted in no replies to the conversation from speedy and Laila. DISH deserves the loss of customers.
Next time Try Facebook Messenger.
I've had better Success from Laila and Mike.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

So I canceled dish after 11 years yesterday for the PS Vue. I had a 4K Joey installed back in early December and was supposed to be a no contract addition and install. I was able to get this offer from dish support as I had constant issues with my Joey 2.0 since originally getting it. Anyway the day of install came and the tech had no idea about this. I mentioned it immediately prior to him starting. He said there was nothing on his paperwork regarding this no contract requirement. I asked him to either call and confirm there was no contract or I would not go ahead with the install (not signing a 2 year contract for a 4K Joey lol).

So the tech called and it was confirmed that the dish rep I originally spoke to put those in the notes so we went ahead with install. I called yesterday to cancel and after a couple holds she said I do have an ETF . I did not have a chance to say anything about the install notes previously mentioned because we got disconnected shortly after that. Needless to say I was steaming at that point and didn't call back. About an hour later my service went down Andy got the disconnection of service email with no info on how to return equipment or anything else(etf etc..)

I have more faith in the DIRT team to look into this if possible. If not I will just call back Monday and see what's going on exactly. If I have to pay it oh well. It's not a huge issue but more of trust and good customer service issue. If I do have to pay there is no chance of dish ever getting me back as a customer. I was also going to try the Sling free three month trial with the Apple TV deal since I have to buy another one for downstairs anyway. Won't even bother trying Sling out after this whole ordeal depending how it pans out.

Oh and they said they had my signature on the techs paperwork as well? I don't remember signing anything, and after looking at the signatures it doesn't even look like mine!!

Please send me a PM with your phone number and 4 digit PIN for further assistance.

Good luck with DIRT

My last 2 attempts to use DIRT have resulted in no replies to the conversation from speedy and Laila. DISH deserves the loss of customers.

I don't understand why people use a thread like this to bash the DIRT team. They're here to help, but like all of us they have time off, days off, sick days, vacation days, etc. And, like all of us, they sometimes have incorrect information. I've had to follow up a couple of times to get a response, but every single time I've contacted DIRT, they've been very helpful.

The DIRT team has their work hours in their signature. Of course, to see their signature you have to either start a conversation with them or find one of their posts. If I see that the one I started a conversation with is going to be off for a few days, I contact another.

JMO

If the signature looks nothing like yours I would challenge it. My reservation is I don't know if a Tech would leave without a signature, but that also makes it possible he signed it when he left and realized you didn't. Also do you remember needing to "Sign" online after the install? I think you are on the right track about using DIRT, they will take a good look.

I have had excellent service by DIRT. The one time I didn't was early on when I contacted a DIRT member with a problem about 118 Satellite programming. They answered my email and I didn't hear back for days. Found out they were off the next couple of days and then on Vacation. Probably they should have told me that. Otherwise a success.

Reactions: charlesrshell
If I see that the one I started a conversation with is going to be off for a few days, I contact another.
That's the key. In my experience, even if I've went back and forth with one rep over the course of multiple days, they're pretty good about adding notes on your account so if someone else steps in or looks, they can see what was mentioned, offered, etc. I always ask them to "please note my account" with anything we discuss just to be sure.

I still think people should try the regular phone or chat support for a lot of things and reserve DIRT for more serious things. I mean, if you want to add/drop the protection plan, for example, DIRT really isn't necessary ! In the case of the OP ? Yes, this needs handled by higher-level reps, especially if there's a case of a forged signature !

DIRT is an absolute blessing! You can pretty much take what they say at face value (and if they don't know, they'll tell you they don't know!), unlike a phone CSR of which you never know what the heck to believe.

Reactions: satjay and KE4EST
I don't understand why people use a thread like this to bash the DIRT team. They're here to help, but like all of us they have time off, days off, sick days, vacation days, etc. And, like all of us, they sometimes have incorrect information. I've had to follow up a couple of times to get a response, but every single time I've contacted DIRT, they've been very helpful.

The DIRT team has their work hours in their signature. Of course, to see their signature you have to either start a conversation with them or find one of their posts. If I see that the one I started a conversation with is going to be off for a few days, I contact another.

JMO
I would say that as good as DIRT may be, they also have JOB to keep, and so, in the end, they will do as they are told, no matter how they may feel about it. DIRT has, at times, had to toe the company line or no longer approve installs they used to without expalaination. This can result in some frustration from some people, but we should remember that DIRT is not the final word, and they have rent to pay, as well. If they can help, they often do, but not in every situation. I would say if DIRT "let's us down" in some way, I would direct our anger or supreme offense for Dish corporate officers and Mr. Ergen himself. DIRT can only do what they are allowed to do and are TOLD to do--or else. Bless DIRT, but sometimes they may go radio silent, just like Margaret at TiVo does on ocassion, and especially since being bought by Rovi. DIRT, I'd rather you keep your jobs, and thanks for doing what you can.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Forget DIRT.

Just ask Dish to produce the contract with your signature.

If they can't produce the contract your off the hook.

I have done this for customers HUNDREDS of times, and it's worked almost every time.

The only contracts Dish keeps physical copies of are the ones done by retailers because they require the retailers to send in a copy of the contract to get paid.

If you had dish send out one of their techs, it's a verbal contract and you either signed a tablet or paper WORK ORDER.

Even if you went through a retailer, they still can't locate the contract 90% of the time.

Ask to see the contract. They will either produce the document or there is no contract.

Don't always take Dish networks word, because they are liers.

As a former retailer who used to sell Dish, and got paid only when customers paid their bill and kept the service I have been burned many many many times when customers challenged the contract, disconnected and I got charged back.

So Dish can fix the system if they want to.

However as a victim of their broken system I have no issues telling you how to get around it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tecnicoloco
Perhaps dish has changed their system, both times dish came out to do HWS and H3 upgrade they had me sign their phablet device( I think they use it to activate equipment also) which I was able to read contract, it included what they did with all equipment and serial numbers used. Once signed dish emailed me PDF copy within a couple of minutes.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Perhaps dish has changed their system, both times dish came out to do HWS and H3 upgrade they had me sign their phablet device( I think they use it to activate equipment also) which I was able to read contract, it included what they did with all equipment and serial numbers used. Once signed dish emailed me PDF copy within a couple of minutes.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

You didn't physically sign anything. That's all smoke and mirrors.

Again, ask for them to produce the contract.

Even if they do, who is to say they just didn't cut and paste your signature ?

The contracts retailers must sign have a signature page with places on almost every page for initials.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco