Dish says I need a new dish to get my HD Locals? Something doesn't sound right!

nlrobert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
I currently have two 622 units and receive the full HD programming package. My neighbor got Direct TV the other day and told me he got his HD locals. I have been using an OTA antenna, so I haven't really followed up on the HD locals through Dish, but I started looking into it after hearing that my neighbor had them.

I plugged in my zip code (27519) on the Dish site and it showed that HD locals were definitely available in my area. I then went to both of my receivers and the channels weren't available in the program guide.

I called Dish and the tech said that the locals were on 118? He then said I would need a new dish in order to pick up the extra bird and scheduled me for an installation (no charge).

Are the locals really located on a different bird than 110 and 119? Do I really need a new dish to pick up my locals? It just seems odd since I get all of my HD programming through my current dish config and I'm skeptical that I really need a new dish.

Any help would be appreciated.

I currently have two 622 units and receive the full HD programming package. My neighbor got Direct TV the other day and told me he got his HD locals. I have been using an OTA antenna, so I haven't really followed up on the HD locals through Dish, but I started looking into it after hearing that my neighbor had them.

I plugged in my zip code (27519) on the Dish site and it showed that HD locals were definitely available in my area. I then went to both of my receivers and the channels weren't available in the program guide.

I called Dish and the tech said that the locals were on 118? He then said I would need a new dish in order to pick up the extra bird and scheduled me for an installation (no charge).

Are the locals really located on a different bird than 110 and 119? Do I really need a new dish to pick up my locals? It just seems odd since I get all of my HD programming through my current dish config and I'm skeptical that I really need a new dish.

I need two Dish's to get locals in my area. I know a lot of people who have stayed away from Dish for this fact alone.

It is possible. I am hearing that when the New Orleans hd locals come up, they will be on 61. My dish doesnt get 61, so i would need a new dish also. Sure seems like it will cost Dish a lot of money, to change out all of those dishes.

From your zip code, I assume that you get the Charlotte , NC locals. They are on the 118 sat. EKB: Dish Network Channels at 118° (118.75°/119k)
You would need the 1000+ dish in order to receive the 118 sat.

It is possible. I am hearing that when the New Orleans hd locals come up, they will be on 61. My dish doesnt get 61, so i would need a new dish also. Sure seems like it will cost Dish a lot of money, to change out all of those dishes.
Where are you getting the info on the New Orleans local channels from?

Just saw this and called. Sure enough they offered a free upgrade from
my Dish500, but said I would lose my SD locals until the install, sometime
in February. I politely declined :(. Why the need to turn off the SD locals?

Same Here....I am without my standard def locals until my install in 2 weeks. Luckily I have an OTA antenna and can pick them up that way, but it still sucks. The tech said they had to remove them in order to add the new orbital to my account.

Definitely a pain in the a$$ and it doesn't make any sense to me why they would install a 500Dish knowing that I have the HD package and HD locals would require a totally different setup. They are paying for the change, but it's not very good business in my mind and we will all just pay in the long run as programming costs go up.

What dish model do you have? If a 500+ it will work for 118 locals,
but if you have all the hd channels you must have a 1000+ or .2 or have
a second dish.

What dish config do you have now? If you don't have 129 or 61.5 you are also missing a good bit of HD programming.

110, 119, and 129 all show up when I run a switch test, so I assume 129 is coming through ok.

Just saw this and called. Sure enough they offered a free upgrade from
my Dish500, but said I would lose my SD locals until the install, sometime
in February. I politely declined :(. Why the need to turn off the SD locals?

They have no reason to turn off SD locals, I have Raleigh SD locals, got a free Super dish 105, got a 118/119 assy from a 500+ put in on the SD105 aimed it at 118 and got all 4 HD locals, never called dishnetwork.
Same with HBO, if you pay for SD you get HD

Ok...here's the update.

The installer came this morning and put up a new Superdish. I now get 110,119,129, and 118 on the new Dish. My locals showed up after a few minutes, including the HD Locals.

So far all of my HD Locals are showing up in SD 4:3 quality, but I assume that the networks aren't sending out any HD programming at this time. I belive one of my wife's soaps is in HD at 4:00 PM, so I will wait and see how that picture looks. Hopefully everything will be just as clear as my OTA antenna.

Ok...here's the update.

The installer came this morning and put up a new Superdish. I now get 110,119,129, and 118 on the new Dish. My locals showed up after a few minutes, including the HD Locals.

So far all of my HD Locals are showing up in SD 4:3 quality, but I assume that the networks aren't sending out any HD programming at this time. I belive one of my wife's soaps is in HD at 4:00 PM, so I will wait and see how that picture looks. Hopefully everything will be just as clear as my OTA antenna.

They gave you a version of the Dish 1000. A superdish is much bigger but only sees either 105/110/119 or 110/119/121.

Does anyone know of a place to see what Sat each HD channel is on....What Sat are the Essential HD channels going to be on?

I will have the same problem. They want to install a new dish on my roof so I can get 129. I currently have dishes with DP LNBs pointing to 61.5, 148, and a Dish 500 with 110/119.
My question is - which 1000 series dish will they try to install, and is the mounting foot larger than the Dish 500 mounting foot?
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)