Dish says it's interested in NFL Sunday Ticket

As you can tell by my avatar,I would most likely sub to ST if Dish offered it.Sure RZ is nice,but when your team only gets 3 or 4 national telecasts per season RZ just don't cut it.I subbed to ST online last season with the Madden deal.HAd to watch on pc but didn't miss a single Eagles game.

I wonder if Dish would have to cut a bunch of PPV on Sundays since they do not even have the bandwidth for all the HD RSNs much less all the NFL games...

My opinion, I have no question in my mind Charlie has made overtures towards being interested in getting Sunday Ticket. I also have no question in my mind Charlie has NO INTEREST whatsoever of actually paying that kind of money and getting it. What he is interested in is making waves for the proposed merger.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Wouldn't the NFL be able to make more money by dropping the price and making it available to more providers. For instance, would it be more beneficial to make it exclusive to one provider for 20 million or make it available to every provider for 10 million. Obviously these numbers are no where near the actual numbers but I think it makes my point. By cutting the price in half it makes it more attractive to other providers and if they get four or more providers to buy it then they already double their money. Seems to make sense but I've been known to not know what the heck I'm talking about occasionally.

Absolutely correct! +1

and don't forget a on line streaming version...

Wouldn't the NFL be able to make more money by dropping the price and making it available to more providers. For instance, would it be more beneficial to make it exclusive to one provider for 20 million or make it available to every provider for 10 million. Obviously these numbers are no where near the actual numbers but I think it makes my point. By cutting the price in half it makes it more attractive to other providers and if they get four or more providers to buy it then they already double their money. Seems to make sense but I've been known to not know what the heck I'm talking about occasionally.

This is from the Sunday Ticket Wikipedia page and it's labeled citation needed so take it with a grain of salt. It is another explanation for why it was originally only offered to one provider though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Sunday_Ticket

Still, the NFL has indicated that another reason they accepted DirecTV's bid was to limit the availability of the product so that the television networks and especially their local affiliates would be protected.[citation needed] In particular, NFL Sunday Ticket viewers do not count towards local Nielsen ratings; thus offering NFL Sunday Ticket on cable might cost CBS and Fox affiliates millions of dollars in lost revenue from local commercial breaks (as opposed to national ads sold by the networks). In turn, affiliates help subsidize the networks' programming costs.

I wonder if Dish would have to cut a bunch of PPV on Sundays since they do not even have the bandwidth for all the HD RSNs much less all the NFL games...

Dish (and all TV providers as well) should just drop the PPV movies altogether. PPV is only good for live sporting events (and that's for those who must watch those events live.) You figure with the rise of Netflix, Redbox, etc..., the market for people willing to buy a HD PPV movie for $6 for just one night must have gotten a lot smaller.

Dish (and all TV providers as well) should just drop the PPV movies altogether. PPV is only good for live sporting events (and that's for those who must watch those events live.) You figure with the rise of Netflix, Redbox, etc..., the market for people willing to buy a HD PPV movie for $6 for just one night must have gotten a lot smaller.

I don't know if I'd get rid of it completely but I would drop the amount of channels they have to about 5. They should keep VOD as well but they still need to keep some PPV channels since there are a lot of customers that do not have internet or good enough internet to stream movies. They may still be using the PPV channels.

It's hard to tell what the actual value of the contract is, in other words how much of the $1B annual contract goes towards exclusivity. Plus, from what I've read, it's not DirecTV's call to drop the exclusivity. Another provider could swoop in to take it away if DirecTV drops it...

If people were not buying PPV then there would not be as many PPV channels. I guess a lot of people are ordering PPV because there sure are a lot of PPV channels.

Someone must buy them but my family hasn't in years. Anyways, if they won I'm sure they would be willing to reduce the amount of movies available for a couple hours on Sundays in the fall to make room for football games. It doesn't have to be a permanent change. They can keep the same amount of movie slots they have available now for the rest of the week.

In my opinion they should do this same thing for RSNs on days they know they don't have enough HD channel slots to cover all the games. It doesn't have to be an every day thing. Just remove a couple movie slots every now then when they need more space and run it business as usual the rest of the time.

Dish could see it as a cost of acquisition of an x amount of customers since each customer has a value and these could be seen as long-term subscribers for at least the duration of the NFL contract. They can do the math and see what amount would be worth the risk to them. Perhaps it would get them at least a million maybe two good long-term subscribers? Maybe Dish could offer it on their streaming service?

Dish could see it as a cost of acquisition of an x amount of customers since each customer has a value and these could be seen as long-term subscribers for at least the duration of the NFL contract. They can do the math and see what amount would be worth the risk to them. Perhaps it would get them at least a million maybe two good long-term subscribers? Maybe Dish could offer it on their streaming service?

It's certainly a great opportunity to grow their subscriber numbers that's for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)