DISH Seattle - how get OTA channels on VHF (KSTW-HD)?

WynsWrld98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 9, 2007
Puyallup, WA
I have a VIP722 DVR connected to a VHF-UHF roof antenna, trying to get CW-HD and PBS-HD OTA. From the info I've found KSTW (CW) should now be on VHF 11 (formerly UHF 36 prior to DTV transition) and PBS-HD should be on VHF 9.

Does anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma area get CW-HD/KSTW-HD on VHF channel 11 OTA? I'm not even sure when I do a local channels channel scan if the DVR is looking on the VHF band.

I used to be able to get CW-HD on UHF 36 prior to the DTV transition using a UHF-only antenna, just swapped it for a VHF-UHF antenna which does pickup KONG and some misc stations but not KSTW.

If anyone in Seattle/Tacoma area on DISH Network with an OTA antenna can post if they get KSTW-HD OTA and if it was as simple as a channel scan for local channels I'd appreciate it. I see reference to it being VHF channel 11 but on the DVR would it really show up as 11 or 11-01?

Terrain problem?

I graduated from Bates Technical College in Tacoma as a broadcast tech. From what I remember of the terrain, I think you may have some real problems picking up either. I could be wrong on that. Try using this site TV Fool and/or site AntennaWeb and see if it helps. Good Luck and you may need some height on your ant mast.

Are you 100% sure that your antenna works with VHF? Can you get KSTW (or any VHF channels) if you plug the antenna directly into your TV? My "HDTV" antenna that I bought about 5 years ago turned out to be UHF only so I haven't even tried to get VHF. FWIW, KCPQ (Ch. 13) is also on VHF. Before the DTV transition, I was able to pick up KSTW but it was the worst of all the OTA I can get (I live in Ballard) so signal/terrain might be an issue.

Also, if/when it shows up, it would be 11-01.

I live in Shoreline just north of Seattle and have found it dificult to get any kind of reliable OTA signal from any of the local stations now that things are all digital. I've tried several different antennas on a mast with a rotor, and gave up last month after I could no longer get channel 9 or 13 even with a new VHF/UHF antenna. I get the locals from Dish now but the real bummer is they don't carry KCTS, the local PBS station in HD. They really need to start adding the local PBS stations in HD or provide a national PBS HD feed.

I live in Shoreline just north of Seattle and have found it dificult to get any kind of reliable OTA signal from any of the local stations now that things are all digital. I've tried several different antennas on a mast with a rotor, and gave up last month after I could no longer get channel 9 or 13 even with a new VHF/UHF antenna. I get the locals from Dish now but the real bummer is they don't carry KCTS, the local PBS station in HD. They really need to start adding the local PBS stations in HD or provide a national PBS HD feed.

I agree, DISH should add PBS and KONG.
I live South of Mill Creek. It is a total crapshoot on what channels you get. KING got really unreliable, so I raised my indoor amplified TERK about 2 feet (note: I'm on the 2nd story at ridge-top) . So now I do get KING, KONG, KIRO, KSTW (strong) and KCTS (weak) but sacrificed KOMO, which now barely comes in. They all seem flaky in just a little wind like on Sunday. What's more, sometimes the flaky OTA brings down my satellite tuners, so weird, I need to set OTA to KING or KSTW which are the most reliable. Forget about about KCPQ in this area too... It seems that DISH updated the OTA software since May in my 622. I will be moving a 722 to this location after baseball season, so I'll see then. I may have to delete KOMO or turn off OTA. Another option is using AAD with a white-area address like Anacortes or Bellingham, it this is costly. :angel:

From my research KONG is still on the UHF band and it is the only major channel I'm getting. I've tried changing the aiming of my roof antenna (which definitely is UHF and VHF per the box, just bought it, a large yagi with 60 mile range) and cannot get anything major except KONG so it's interesting with the old antenna I could get KOMO (which I believe is still on the UHF band). What I really want is KSTW and KCTS in HD but since DISH doesn't include them my only option is a roof antenna.

I've looked at the aiming on antennaweb.org.

I'd be curious to hear anyone else's experiences trying to get KSTW and KCPQ in HD via roof antenna someone further south in Pierce County perhaps in Tacoma area (I'm in Puyallup).

Last edited:
So I finally went out and got a comparable indoor antenna to the UHF-only one I had and... no luck getting KSTW (11) or KCPQ (13) on VHF. I can get KCTS (9) kinda sorta. Tried the same antenna on the TV's tuner, a 612 and a 622 and nothing at all. Kinda pisses me off b/c there was no reason (at least no reason I can see) for KSTW or KCPQ to switch (from 36 and 18 UHF, respectively). According to an engineer at KCPQ, 18 was a "transitional DTV" channel, even though they had it for years(!). Given my location (Ballard) I was able to get KCPQ's 18 and KSTW's 36, but absolutely nuthin' in VHF. Crap.

And while I know that Dish is broadcasting KCPQ, I liked watching the Seahawks games OTA b/c a) none of the annoying Dish-inserted LOUD commercials and 2) slightly better PQ.

I guess now I'll be joining the chorus for KSTW and KCTS to be broadcast on Dish...

Are local PBS stations carried in HD by Dish in any markets currently? I don't think a national PBS feed would ever happen, as the local stations want us to be able to see their exciting pledge drives.

FWIW, this, from an engineer at KCPQ:

VHF doesn’t carry as well through buildings, walls, etc as UHF does. The power levels are vastly different because of the difference in propagation characteristics between VHF and UHF. It is unfortunate that the computer models for high-band VHF digital transmission did not accurately reflect “real world” coverage, but it is what it is. Your reception of UHF 18 was better precisely because of the different transmission characteristics. Your best bet is to get an outdoor antenna of sufficient gain and directivity that will allow you to receive our station. We will not be going back to UHF 18.

So it's either rooftop or nothing for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)