Dish Second Home service

WildBill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Florida
I currently have a summer and winter home with Dish service. I have been transporting my Hopper3 and two Joey3s back and forth which has worked well. However, we will soon be flying instead of driving and would like to have an additional hopper and joey installed to avoid having to transport receivers. Dish has a Second Home service listed on their website, but says it includes the installation of 2 Wallys which I don't want, since we need the DVR features of the Hopper. Any advice as to how best to get Hopper service at both locations?

I currently have a summer and winter home with Dish service. I have been transporting my Hopper3 and two Joey3s back and forth which has worked well. However, we will soon be flying instead of driving and would like to have an additional hopper and joey installed to avoid having to transport receivers. Dish has a Second Home service listed on their website, but says it includes the installation of 2 Wallys which I don't want, since we need the DVR features of the Hopper. Any advice as to how best to get Hopper service at both locations?
I would think your best bet is to just purchase the equipment so that when you’re not at your second home, you can deactivate it without any penalty.

And, of course, then, you don’t have to be limited to equipment that you don’t want

I would think your best bet is to just purchase the equipment so that when you’re not at your second home, you can deactivate it without any penalty.

And, of course, then, you don’t have to be limited to equipment that you don’t want
I don't have a problem with purchasing another Hopper3, but I'm not sure if I can put it on my existing account or if it requires a second account to activate at a different location. Also:
1. I currently have two Joey3, but really only need one at each location. Am I correct in assuming that the second Joey could be used the purchased Hooper in the second house?
2. I now simply call Dish when I arrive at my second home to have them transfer locals. Will that work the same with different receivers at each home or do you also have to deactivate one receiver and activate the other?
3. Will the EHD I am using with my current receiver work with the purchased receiver if they are on the same account?

Thanks for your help with this.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't have a problem with purchasing another Hopper3, but I'm not sure if I can put it on my existing account or if it requires a second account to activate at a different location. Also:
Two Hoppers are allowed on one account, as far as the secondary address goes they don't care as long as you are only using the service at one location at a time.
1. I currently have two Joey3, but really only need one at each location. Am I correct in assuming that the second Joey could be used the purchased Hooper in the second house?
Yes, as long as both H3's are on the same account this will work.
2. I now simply call Dish when I arrive at my second home to have them transfer locals. Will that work the same with different receivers at each home or do you also have to deactivate one receiver and activate the other?
You would get charged the rental fees of the receivers in both locations (yes, even purchased equipment has rental fees, albeit slightly lower ones), but otherwise it would remain the same. You would have to call/chat to have the locals changed. If you own the equipment, you can also enable/disable any purchased box you wish at will online, so I would have the purchased boxes in the house that would get the least usage so they can stay disabled when unused.
3. Will the EHD I am using with my current receiver work with the purchased receiver if they are on the same account?
Yes. Hopper EHD's can go to any other Hopper (on your account) and Wally EHD's can go to another Wally, but these are not interchangeable, you will be prompted to reformat if you go from Wally to Hopper or vise versa.

Two Hoppers are allowed on one account, as far as the secondary address goes they don't care as long as you are only using the service at one location at a time.

Yes, as long as both H3's are on the same account this will work.

You would get charged the rental fees of the receivers in both locations (yes, even purchased equipment has rental fees, albeit slightly lower ones), but otherwise it would remain the same. You would have to call/chat to have the locals changed. If you own the equipment, you can also enable/disable any purchased box you wish at will online, so I would have the purchased boxes in the house that would get the least usage so they can stay disabled when unused.

Yes. Hopper EHD's can go to any other Hopper (on your account) and Wally EHD's can go to another Wally, but these are not interchangeable, you will be prompted to reformat if you go from Wally to Hopper or vise versa.
Thanks. This is what I needed to know and not easily discovered on the Dish website.