Dish sending another 722 but told not to plug into surge protector!

Bigfoot

Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Vermilion, Ohio
Dish is sending another 722 receiver to replace the one that keeps starting over and over, however the tech told me not to plug the new one into a surge protector, whats up with that? Does the 722 have its own surge protection?

That was the same advice they were giving years ago with the Vip622. Whether it is good advice or not, I have no way of knowing. But common sense would suggest it is not a good idea to have one not on a surge protector.

They tell you not to plug it into a surge protector yet the red tag on the power cord near the plug says it is recommended that a surge suppressor be used, more of Dish confusion

Bob

The 722 has built-in support for HomePlug a technology to connect your DVR to your home network using the power line. It won't work if a surge protector is in use, though.

Yeah, I was also told that the big drive and power supply requires a lot of juice and a surge prot might not allow the 722k to function properly. WHATEVER..... I have my 722k and EHD hooked up to an APC batt backup to give me 30 minutes of time in case of a power outage.

Surge protector.

That would be about as big of mistake as not plugging your computer into surge/battery backup,just some more dumb advice from dish to just make more money off of people.:eek:

The 722 has built-in support for HomePlug a technology to connect your DVR to your home network using the power line. It won't work if a surge protector is in use, though.

My HomePlug is plugged into a surge protector, as is the 722. I can use Dish Remote Access from my computer and my iTouch just fine :)

i was having trouble to with the 722 losing signal to just one satellite. when they come out that is one thing they had me do. has worked fine every since

My HomePlug is plugged into a surge protector, as is the 722. I can use Dish Remote Access from my computer and my iTouch just fine :)

My homeplug was showing poor connection when plugged into surge suppressor and remote access wouldn't work. Had to plug it into a regular outlet and connection improved to excellent and Dish Remote now works.

Yes, the ViP's, are all supposed to have their own built-in surge protectors. I can't recall if it was stated in a past Tech Chat or other video, but it was stated plainly and clearly that ViP's do have their own built-in surge protector. This was done so that the ViP's can take advantage of technology using home wiring for networking, etc.

But a surge protector is not a substitute for a UPS.
UPS is for a surge protector. Most models of UPS will also stop the HomePlug signals--too bad.

-Ken

As a tech with a couple years experience I've found that all homes are not created equal. This includes home wiring. Some homes a surge protector does not effect the vip's. Others the mA not the voltage fluctuate from 550mA to below operating standards of 165mA. Might not be the surge but the homes wiring. Just a thought. Most techs in my area have a meter with built in volt meter and we can actually see the changes, and diagnose properly. Remember technology is always changing. (getting more fickle)

My $.02

This is what I have for all components in my hometheater set-up, including my 622.

Belkin : PureAV™ Home Theatre Power Console PF30

No need to spend a fortune on this kind of contraption and Belkin has a great reputation and customer support, or at least so I've heard as I've never had cause to call them. I have a 1080p projector that is on UPS because if it is on during a power outage the fan needs to run for a while to cool down the bulb. The UPS will provide for that extra run time to allow the fan to run. Projector bulbs cost $400 so an investment in a UPS just for the projector is cheap insurance. The projector aside, there are no hometheater components I know of that need a UPS. A product such as I have above is more useful for a variety of audio/video related reasons, not just surge protection.

My DLP does not have a bulb, it's LED driven but I want a UPS to cover the glitches from our power company, which is county run. You may save a recording or two. Unfortunately several outages have lasted for a couple of hours and even turning off the DLP projector, I don't have a big enough UPS $$$ to cover all the losses. Remember to power your switch supply and any OTA amp too, if applicable.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts