Dish service turning off TV after about 30 minutes

semco72057

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
Grapevine, Arkansas
Can anyone tell me how I can stop Dish Network receiver from turning off after about 30 minutes of being in use. I am tired of turning the receiver back on. Sometimes it does it in less than 15 minutes and of course I am talking about the manufacturer of course. I never had that problem when I was using the Directv receivers. I like some of the things I can do with the Dish service, but that one problem is annoying. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sidney Mathious

And what do you mean by turns off... It resets or you get the screen saver? When you hit the power button button does it come right back on? There is a setting that can be changed that is designed to put the receiver to "sleep" but not after just 15 minutes.

Can anyone tell me how I can stop Dish Network receiver from turning off after about 30 minutes of being in use. I am tired of turning the receiver back on. Sometimes it does it in less than 15 minutes and of course I am talking about the manufacturer of course. I never had that problem when I was using the Directv receivers. I like some of the things I can do with the Dish service, but that one problem is annoying. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sidney Mathious

The title of this post says that the TV is being turned off. The body of the post says the receiver is being turned off. Not very clear.

Anyway, if it's the TV that's turning off after 30 minutes, it could be a problem with the TV.

A few years ago, I had a SONY Bravia purchased at Costco that started to turn off after 20 to 30 minutes. I would have to physically unplug the TV from AC power and also reboot the Dish receiver. The frequency of performing this procedure increased and the times that the TV stayed on got shorter and shorter as time went by.

Long story short, the power supply circuit boards in the TV were changed out twice until SONY replaced the TV under warranty. Have not had any problems since then.

Giving it some more thought..... Maybe we are talking about an HDMI problem. But we need more info.

If it's the receiver, it may be overheating. Most of the receivers are basically small computers, if they overheat they will shut off just like a computer.

Is your receiver near an air duct or in an enclosed space (i.e., inside a cabinet or sitting very close to something on either side)?

Sidney Mathious

Hi Sidney, I would like to assist you with your issue. Can you please PM me your account number and I will be able to trouble shoot this issue further with you and help get it resolved? Thank you!

If this is the hopper shutting down, th
ere is a setting under UPDATES that sets how long of non-activity until shutdown. The default is not disable, but a lower number. Not sure if it san be 30 minutes, but it does show a message that it will shut down when the time comes and it is active.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)