DISH - setting up tv2 on VIP722

My apologies for the confusion that I created,I called a Separator a Diplexer "WRONG"

Dish use Separators Dual and Triple

A Separator integrates the Signal Stacked from the DP LNB in 1 Line and splits into the 2 Ports for Dual Tuners Receivers instead of running 2 lines from the LNB to the back of the Satellite Receiver

When you use a Triple Separator you have the ability to Inject and Send or Backtrack the signal from the Satellite Receiver TV Tuners (TV1 and TV2) in the same line that comes from the Satellite Dish (LNB Line) and use a Diplexer to keep the Signal/Voltage Supply Pass-Thru for the LNB and Recover the Signal for the TV Tuners Distribution

You are better of just sending the TV Signal from Both TV Tuners using a 2-way Splitter Rated at 1000 Mhz

When you insert your TV Signal via Separator and recover on a Diplexer you get Signal Insertion Loss

Rule of thumb is to avoid as many as possible passive or active components for Signal Distribution,in this case the Diplexer

Again,check your connections at the Satellite Dish (LNB) inspect and follow the line down to the Satellite Receiver for splices or other components inline
https://s32.postimg.org/s6gxf73tx/dish_separator_and_duplexer.jpg
https://postimg.org/image/es7xpjion/
diplexers_dpptwin_Copy.jpg

Reactions: elmonomalo
Thank you Tecnicoloco! Your post was extremely detailed and the diagram definitely helps. I think I will head down to the cabin with a couple more coax cables, splitters, and caps.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get down to examine and fix this for another couple weeks so I will definitely update this post with what the eventual solution was. I have a feeling you may be right because I just assumed that the line from the LNB went straight to the wall without any other components or splices installed.

Thanks again everyone, everyone steered me on the right track and I understand the networking much better!

The other thing you should do is pull the power from your 722, disconnect both Sat Tuner inputs, and run a Switch Check (it will take 15 - 20 minutes with no inputs since it needs to time out trying 39 different combinations.) After this, you can put everything back together and re-run the Switch Check. This should help with your Tuner Signal loss issue, unless your Dish 500 doesn't have a DPP LNBf. The Switch Test will identify which LNBf you have.

Also, you may need to change your TV1 and TV2 output channels. Unless you have an old TV set, most recent TVs won't tune past channel 69. In my particular situation, my backed is a closed system, so I used channels 30 and 38 (a no-no with an antenna connected). This works nicely in our vacation home to allow the kids to watch something other than what is on in the great room where our 722 resides. (EDIT: Oops, I see you said Cable Channel, not OTA Channel. You can ignore my comments in this paragraph.)

Good luck!

Last edited:
The home distribution is pretty wimpy. I have mine going to several TVs and I had to use a distribution amp.
I also have both boxes (a 722 and a 222) along with an agile modulator and a Replay, feeding the amp so I have 6 virtual channels at each TV

Ok, so I made a trip up and after replacing the 3-way splitter with a 2-way splitter and replacing cables near the box it still does not work. I am going to attach pictures of the cabling outside, maybe someone will have an idea. It looks like maybe one of the cables (the one that feeds off the satellite 2) is punched in and may need replaced?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The satellite dish is mounted on a tree, maybe 20-30 feet from the house. Three cables run down the trunk and underground. Two are close together and bound (I believe Sat1 and Sat2) and not sure about the others.

20160807_135002.jpg

The single cable that is running down was joined together with another cable before going underground. I inspected the joiner (correct term?) and both the coaxial ends and the joiner appeared to be in great shape.

20160807_134957.jpg

The cables come to the side of the house before being routed to the basement.

20160807_134543.jpg

I unplugged the top two coax cables and it appears that the sat1 cable (goes to first tuner) is the top and sat2 cable (goes to second tuner) is the bottom. I discovered that the bottom cable looks like it is punched in. Would this cause significant signal loss? Also, this equipment that the three cables plug into: What is it called? It doesn't seem to be standard Dish equipment.

20160807_134627.jpg

Bottom
20160807_134551.jpg

I made another quick diagram, with some more details if it helps. Sorry if some of the information is wrong, I am still a newbie with this stuff.

TV setup.png

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you,
Aaron

Anyone have any ideas? I have a strong feeling that it might be signal loss from a long cable run. I originally thought the satellite was mounted on the roof when I first went there and a weak signal could explain why TV1 or TV2 works but not both. I'm following up for completion sake in case someone else has a similar problem plus the cabin is a 2 hour drive so I want to be more sure this time!

Anyone have any ideas? I have a strong feeling that it might be signal loss from a long cable run. I originally thought the satellite was mounted on the roof when I first went there and a weak signal could explain why TV1 or TV2 works but not both. I'm following up for completion sake in case someone else has a similar problem plus the cabin is a 2 hour drive so I want to be more sure this time!
What is the part that sat line 1 and 2 are going to?

I couldn't figure out exactly what it was called after searching, it might not be a DISH part. It's in the picture below: Sat1 is the top cable and Sat2 is the bottom.

View attachment 119494
Go to check switch, then test, after is finish, go to tuner 1, check each transponder and write them, next go to tuner 2 check each transponder and write them down, after you are finished, compare the result from both tuner, if tuner 2 is lower, it can be a faulty #2 tuner or bad cable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)