Dish Setup

Lombar

Original poster
Aug 2, 2017
Oregon
So I'm planning to make a switch from DirecTV to Dish. My current setup is that I have a Genie in the main room and my dad has another DVR (forgot which version) in his room so that he can have his own set of recordings.

For the Dish setup I was thinking of having a Hopper 3 in the main room and a Joey in his room. From what I have found out doing it this way all the recordings would now be on my Hopper but we would be able to set up folders for me and him and choose which folder our season pass recordings would be saved in. Does this make the most sense on how to set things up, or would it be a better idea to have a Hopper 3 for me and another Hopper 3 for him? Also from a cost perspective I think the multiple Hopper 3 setup would cost much more so if I can avoid that by going with Hopper3/Joey I'd rather do it that way.

Speaking of Joey's if that's what we decide on, should we stick with a Joey 2 so that he can watch Netflix or will that be coming to the Joey 3 soon?

Thanks for any guidance on this.

So I'm planning to make a switch from DirecTV to Dish. My current setup is that I have a Genie in the main room and my dad has another DVR (forgot which version) in his room so that he can have his own set of recordings.

For the Dish setup I was thinking of having a Hopper 3 in the main room and a Joey in his room. From what I have found out doing it this way all the recordings would now be on my Hopper but we would be able to set up folders for me and him and choose which folder our season pass recordings would be saved in. Does this make the most sense on how to set things up, or would it be a better idea to have a Hopper 3 for me and another Hopper 3 for him? Also from a cost perspective I think the multiple Hopper 3 setup would cost much more so if I can avoid that by going with Hopper3/Joey I'd rather do it that way.

Speaking of Joey's if that's what we decide on, should we stick with a Joey 2 so that he can watch Netflix or will that be coming to the Joey 3 soon?

Thanks for any guidance on this.

I'd recommend just getting the one Hopper3 and using folders.

That's how our family has the H3 set up. Each family member there own folder. Also, if you search around the forum, there are multiple posts on errors and issues with Netflix and the H3 and joey 2. I am not aware of a Joey 3, but I could be wrong.

I guess the other question I have is how hard the Dish menu system is to learn switching from DirecTV. I'm not worried about it for myself but my dad is in his 60's and has used DirecTV for years so he's a bit stuck in his ways. Are there any places online to 'demo' the menu system or to see a comparison between the two?

I guess the other question I have is how hard the Dish menu system is to learn switching from DirecTV. I'm not worried about it for myself but my dad is in his 60's and has used DirecTV for years so he's a bit stuck in his ways. Are there any places online to 'demo' the menu system or to see a comparison between the two?

There are a few videos on YouTube, but nothing very good if you ask me. Still, might be better than nothing/good enough.

Reactions: charlesrshell
There are a few videos on YouTube, but nothing very good if you ask me. Still, might be better than nothing/good enough.
Yea I looked around and none were very good. It would be good if I could try and find somewhere locally where I could take my dad to get his hands on it. I know Costco sales DirecTV but having a harder time finding somewhere to see Dish in action.

Yea I looked around and none were very good. It would be good if I could try and find somewhere locally where I could take my dad to get his hands on it. I know Costco sales DirecTV but having a harder time finding somewhere to see Dish in action.

Not sure where you are in Oregon, but these folks seem to have both on display in their showroom:

SilverStar Satellite

You also can setup favorite and place what he in the list..
The new remote is a little tricky, before we had a button for each item, now one button does mult item.

I would set up folders for yourself and just let him record whatever her wants into the main folder. That was he has less navigating and learning to do and you have your recordings out of sight for him.

Just make the switch. If you show him menus in advance, it will just give him a chance to argue against change.

They won't exactly be out of sight. He'll still see the folder and can open it at any time.
The point being, even if his dad had his own folder, he would still see the other folders. I guess I meant to say the recordings would still be separated, and by default, he would see his first and not have to navigate as much and not have to learn how to set recordings to go to a specified folder.

After you get the Hopper 3, you will see that there is a "Hopper 3 Insider" demo (on channel 103 HD) that walks you through how to use most of the features. Obviously, the video does not compare the Hopper 3 to Directv, but since you are already familiar with Directv, you should be able to see the differences for yourself.

I would set up folders for yourself and just let him record whatever her wants into the main folder. That was he has less navigating and learning to do and you have your recordings out of sight for him.
I agree. That is exactly how we had it setup when my sister and I shared a Hopper. My recordings were in folders, while hers went to "No Folder."

Reactions: charlesrshell