Dish shrinks pay TV subscriber losses to 133,000 in Q4 . . .

Have you compared the Dish/Internet bundle pricing where those are offered? I have not looked at them beyond being aware of them since they are no more use to me than the cable bundles.
It's been awhile since I looked, but I remember that bundling Dish with DishNET only saves you about $10 off, compared to the individual price of both services. The modem rental fee for DishNET is (or was) $10 per month. So you would basically just be getting the modem for free, with no other special discount just for bundling.

A substantial reason for this is the booting of Regional Sports Channels. That's what I initially said and what I still say.
I disagree. A substantial reason is the price & limitations of satellite. People have tried cord cutting and found it works for them, therefore they don't want an MVPD.

Did Dish lose SOME subscribers by dropping RSNs? I'm sure. A "substantial" amount? Doubtful.

Reactions: MrDRC
Have you compared the Dish/Internet bundle pricing where those are offered? I have not looked at them beyond being aware of them since they are no more use to me than the cable bundles.
Oh yes, DISH used to market with phone company DSL, and DSL does exist, but is lower than molasses here and phone co won't make any upgrades. It's Comcast or wireless for internet.

I disagree. A substantial reason is the price & limitations of satellite. People have tried cord cutting and found it works for them, therefore they don't want an MVPD.

Did Dish lose SOME subscribers by dropping RSNs? I'm sure. A "substantial" amount? Doubtful.
To each their own.

TV viewership of RSNs is up. So if DISH and several of the streamers have dropped these channels, where are the viewers coming from? From cable, Directv, and FUBO mostly. And many of those are folks that migrated away from their current provider.

To each their own.

TV viewership of RSNs is up. So if DISH and several of the streamers have dropped these channels, where are the viewers coming from? From cable, Directv, and FUBO mostly. And many of those are folks that migrated away from their current provider.

You might even say that they are "manipulating" their short-term viewership numbers. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: sam_gordon
Nice link, but that was from 2018. Read the fine print. They are still advertising HBO and Cinemax as part of the offer! :eeek
and that's the current link on DISH's webpage. Shows how unlikely that someone actually pays DISH for a 'bundle' where they go out and contract with the phone company. I wonder how many of these they actually sell.

• Wow
Reactions: pattykay
How so? if DISH subs are down, and overall RSN viewership is up, who is watching?
In this specific case, casual fans who normally might not watch very many games, but who were so desperate for entertainment after the sports drought (and the general lack of much other new programming during that time span) that they tuned in more often. Maybe even a bunch of non-fans tuned in, just for the novelty of it, and out of curiosity about how the sports were being played while still maintaining social distancing rules. The very first sentence in the first link you posted explains why the numbers would be skewed (and why they were expected to be skewed). So, short-term gains due to an unprecedented pandemic do not necessarily indicate any kind of long-term trend.

"Gobs" is subjective but they are clearly making money. Have you seen their financials lately? They look pretty darn good from a cursory view.
I have been an investor of DISH at times. DISH's asset holdings include bandwidth and it's new wireless service. It's core TV business is not seen as a winner.

DISH is strong in rural areas where there is no real option other than Directv. In urban areas DISH is getting killed. Too much competition and DISH's price point is not competitive.

DISH is doing a good job eeking out short term profits, mainly from not offering rural guys any significant deals like they used to. In urban areas they're offering deals when existing customers call in.

DISH is also riding off of cutting its RSN fees and not lowering the customer's bill, telling them instead it won't rise so fast. So there's a spread here that DISH is keeping. And people are locked into contracts for up to two years, despite the programming options.

Sling is getting manhandled right now.

Short term DISH looks good. This won't last long term.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)