Dish signal and Cable internet on same line

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smurfnz28

Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
IN
Okay, here is the issue...... I am moving and have both cable internet and dish network service. Is there a way that the frequencies can coexist on the same cable? I would rather not have to run new lines and tear up this house. How about an OTA signal? I had satellite and OTA signals on the same line in the past.

Is this possible? Can it be done with diplexers?

any help would be great! Thanks!

Okay, here is the issue...... I am moving and have both cable internet and dish network service. Is there a way that the frequencies can coexist on the same cable? I would rather not have to run new lines and tear up this house. How about an OTA signal? I had satellite and OTA signals on the same line in the past.

I believe it depends on the frequencies your cableco uses. I had Comcast internet and Dish on the same cable with diplexers for years at the Florida house. I went to separate lines last year when I was running new cable. I'd use separate lines if you could and avoid hassles but you can try it out first.

You can try it, but any modern cable system is going to use the same midband frequencies that Dish uses, and they'll just interfere with each other. OTA works because it's all under 800MHz and Dish is almost all over 1GHz.

Why are you talking about "tearing up the house?" You should only have one cable entering the house, and close to the DEMARK you'd have a router, probably WiFi, and maybe one or two hard cables going to specific places in the house. The best thing to do is put a WiFi bridge next to your TV, plug all of those devices into the bridge, and make them share a single WiFi tunnel back to the main router.

Last edited:

It can be done. BUT there will be some issues, Which why I will duplex through a cable modem only if I have no other choice. Remember if you have a duel receiver you will not be able to back the second outlet on the same line as any cable product the will interfere. I normally try to have the cable tun separately in to a spot locate the modem and a wireless router then all the computers are working on the same network.

Yes, it can be done and will probably work just fine.

I would suggest running a direct like for the cable modem anyways, since its very important you get the best possible signal to your modem to get the best possible performance out of it.

Diplexers and splitters will degrade the signal, which means more packet loss on your modem which can result in slower download speeds.

Yes You Can!

I have just done it, perhaps not exactly as you may need. You need to bring your sat feed into your sat receiver (I have a 322 receiver, so the one sat feed provides 2 separate feeds). Then your cable feed goes into a splitter. From the splitter one goes directly into the cable box and the other into an NM-CNF7080 filter, filtering out (in both directions) channels 70-80. The 7080 goes into the cable input of the SHN-24, the TV2 output from the satellite receiver goes into the powered modulated input of the shn-24. A single cable carries both the satellite and cable output from the shn-24 to two other floors of the house. I use cable only for backup and local channels, including local government and school access and a Canadian channel and use the satellite for all else. Now I drop the local channel subscription from Dish. The net of it all after a rise in my cable internet fee is $2 a month increase.
I tried a diplexer to feed both satelite and cable before the 322, but started getting frequent signal losses from satellite. My config works, I hope it can help lead you to a solution.

I am 99% sure everything from my cable runs on lower than 1000mhz since before I hooked up my dish, and had cable tv and cable internet, it was set up with a 1-1000mhz splitter. I guess I will just give it a go and see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)