Dish Size and Service Quality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nbluedorn

Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Can I order a larger dish when I order HughesNet service? Will dish size affect service quality in bad weather?

Yes you can and yes it will. You might sit tight and see about the spaceway system. As far as weather being an issue, I have very seldom seen it knock the system out. So I personally would not get the larger dish unless you are in a very bad area.

How can I find the contact info for the dish installer who will probably do the HughesNet instillation? I called Hughes and they said Spaceway isn't available, so I want to make sure the installer will be able to install a 9000 series modem before I order this service from Hughes.

Is there a list of local installers that Hughes uses?

I suggest you call a local retailer who actually does the installs. When you call Hughes or someone other than a local shop, you probably won't know who is installing it until they (the installer) call you for an appointment or confirmation.
To upgrade to the 9000 modem (spaceway system) will require the dish tx and rx to be changed and the dish repointed. And I do not know how they would handle the contract, i.e. will they let you "upgrade" to the 9000 in the middle of your contract???
It would appear they are setting up customers on the east coast area now and will progress to the west. I sorta expect, and hope, by end of summer the spaceway system will be availble nationwide.

HN9000 is available....

FYI, HN9000, Ka Spaceway 3, is available. Thats what I have. I think it will be a good system. I advise you might contact a local retailer for purchase of the Ka system. Thats what I did. Be advised that the Ka system points to a different area of the sky than the Ku. If you can't see spaceway 3, then you will have to get the Ku. I'm sure there is an installer on here that can be a little more informative with this info, pointing and install ?'s, than myself. But I personally think the Ka is the way to go with hughesnet. Mine works great.

How can I find the contact info for the dish installer who will probably do the HughesNet instillation? I called Hughes and they said Spaceway isn't available, so I want to make sure the installer will be able to install a 9000 series modem before I order this service from Hughes.

Is there a list of local installers that Hughes uses?

Were do you live? Spaceway is now available depending on what part of the country you are in. We have already begun to receive livebridge orders in. They started the national rollout in the northeast and are working west. As of right now I don't believe anyone is able to get the .98 system due to no one has any dishes. If you are planning on getting the .98 system I would wait a couple of weeks if you could.

If you do not call a local retailer when you place your order the order will go to a distributor and out to an installer in your area. Within about a day or so you will receive a call from that installers office.

Is this new SpaceWay service going to be "that" much better than the current HughesNet service? Is this going to be good enough for some to see this as an option even if there is wireless broadband from a wisp available in your area?

Is this new SpaceWay service going to be "that" much better than the current HughesNet service? Is this going to be good enough for some to see this as an option even if there is wireless broadband from a wisp available in your area?

Depends on the wisp service. In my opinion the KA system is head and shoulders over the KU system.

I live in northern Illinois. I'm going to call some local satellite TV installers to see if they instal HughesNet and if they have KA band 9000 series modems and what the prices are on larger dish sizes.

You guys are very helpful here. Hughes should hire you for technical support. <smile>

I live in northern Illinois. I'm going to call some local satellite TV installers to see if they instal HughesNet and if they have KA band 9000 series modems and what the prices are on larger dish sizes.

You guys are very helpful here. Hughes should hire you for technical support. <smile>

call Guardian Enterprise Technologies

Phone: 330-633-6400
Phone: 800-989-8898
Fax: 330-633-7474

They are out of Ohio and I think they do work in IL. They should be able to help you.

The local HugesNet installer we called said that only .74 meter dishes are available right now for 9000 series modems and SpaceWay 3. He doesn't recommend using this small dish for a small office instillation. Does anyone know when .9 or 1.2 dishes are coming out for SpaceWay 3?

I don't know the reason he would say that unless you are in an area that tends to have horrible weather. I've only put in a few of these and a bunch of the Wildblue KA systems without much problem with weather knocking them out. ??? So far I am impressed with the new systems performance. Now their dish design is a completly different story!!

Well... The .74 with a 1 watt radio is the only option that a residential customer is going to have for ANY service plan now. The only way to get a bigger dish will be to going through the SME "Small and Medium Enterprise" department and that will be a 7000 modem with a .98 dish. So just so we are clear every plan from the Home to the Business Internet plan will be a .74 dish with a 1 watt head with the 9000. This will not change unless Hughes sees problems with the service on the upper plans. They are doing this so customers will have more service options and the equipment will be more affordable. The only affect will be on the upload speeds which top out at 300k. The download speeds will be slightly higher than the 7000 starting in July.

What are you going to be using the system for? How many computers etc.

Also just wanted to add that the system can change power depending on the weather. It cannot however go above 1.3 watts but does have the ability to adjust itself while in fair or bad weather.

We have 4 computers connected to the Internet. We're heavy Internet users, including Internet radio.

You're suggesting we go with the .74 dish?

I would suggest you check the FAP and make sure you are going to stay under it. With 4 computers, and heavy use... i would bet you will get FAPed a bunch.

Here are the new plans with the 9000. The prices are the same except for upfront are cheaper on the elite and elite plus.

Effective July 1

Home 1MB / 128k
Pro 1.2MB / 200k
Pro Plus 1.5MB / 250k
Elite 2MB / 300k
Elite Plus 3MB /300k

Threshold are as followed

Home 200 MB
Pro 300 MB
Pro Plus 425 MB
Elite 500 MB
Elite Plus 500 MB

Hughes at first wanted to keep a non comparison on the 7000 and 9000 but looks like they are going to distance the 2 products and no longer have a problem with advertising the change.

This is also off of Hughes webpage.

Stated speeds are not guaranteed. Actual upload speed will likely be lower than speed indicated, during peak hours. Download speeds may also be temporarily slowed in cases when patterns of system usage exceed the download threshold for an extended period of time. All services are subject to the HughesNet Fair Access Policy. If you choose to run VPN over satellite, your data speeds may be reduced by as much as 50-75%. Despite the high speeds, time-sensitive applications, such as multi-player "twitch" games, are also not recommended over HughesNet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts