Dish size for AMC 3

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pegleg

Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
Does anyone know what sized dish I'd need to pick up PBS from Winnipeg? I want to dedicate a dish on that sat. I have a 75cm laying around and was wondering if it might do the trick? It's a real pain getting fta equipement out here.

Thanks

I would agree with that. I have a 90cm dish and run a normal quality of 30 to 35.

Thanks guys, but to tell you the truth I do have another dish on a Pansat 2700, a I meter oval with a HH120. With it I do get the PBS stations but with alot of fade and I'm not sure if the poor reception is due to the dish size or the leaves on the trees that will fall off in a few months {I've only been playing with FTA for 5 months}. When winter comes, as it gets so cold here, I doubt I am going to want to move the HH120 all that much. I'll probably want to leave it parked at G10 for that block of 3-4 months when it's the coldest. With that said, my thinking is that the 75cm will probably not be enough. I think I need another 1 meter or better yet 1.2 meter for this plan to work. Is there anyone from my "neck of the woods" {Winnipeg}, having any luck getting these shipped in? The sight sponsors don't seem to ship to these parts.

regards,
pegleg

pegleg said:
When winter comes, as it gets so cold here, I doubt I am going to want to move the HH120 all that much. I'll probably want to leave it parked at G10 for that block of 3-4 months when it's the coldest.
the motor will work fine in the cold. It works here in MN with no issues (survived 2 MN winters) :) I know in the Peg it can get colder than MN but it will work.

With that said, my thinking is that the 75cm will probably not be enough. I think I need another 1 meter or better yet 1.2 meter for this plan to work. Is there anyone from my "neck of the woods" {Winnipeg}, having any luck getting these shipped in? The sight sponsors don't seem to ship to these parts.

I use a 76cm dish with no issues here in Minneapolis for AMC3. Maybe the signal drops off going that farther north :)

Hey Pegleg ..... I'm from the peg and I understand your concerns for sure, but I agree with Iceberg, I think our HH motors will be fine. (my first winter also) I think the most important thing for reception is the LNB. You mentioned some of your specs, but didn't mention the type of LNB you were using. I also have tree issues in my backyard, but when I changed from the ordinary universal lnb to the Invacom lnb (SNH-031) it was quite a drastic improvement. PM me if you have any other questions ...... MK

Had no probs in Calgary with an sg2100. We don't see the -40c temps as many times as you do, but we do see the odd cold snap at -20c for a week or two. I've had mine up for 2 years + and no problems at all. The HH I think has metal gears in it, does it not? I know the sg2100 has plastic ones. Not sure if that would make a diff. As for AMC 3, go with a 1 meter, I wish I would have bought a 1 or 1.2m instead of a 30". Well worth the extra $. On clear days with a bit of peaking I can get all PBS, but just barely.

Hey, thanks for the responses guys. And it's nice hear from people using the HH motors in {cold} county. The LMB I'm using is a "Sunsurfer" or something like that, and it's rated at .3 DB. A quad Invacom will be on it's way as soon as my Dish issue is solved. I'm determined to get another large KU dish for back-up. I've been up on the roof in the winter trying to aim one and it's no fun! The kid's would drive me nuts if they lost thier Bart Simpson for even 1 day. I've found a place that will send me a (Winegard DS3101) and it's actually slightly bigger than the 1 meter multistar that I am currently using as my main dish. The STAB HH 120 seems to be doing a decent job moving my muiltistar so far, but I heard stories about motors failing in harsh conditions, so the concern will always be in the back of my mind. The only reason I went with the STAB was because the SG1200'S were out of stock. I read of alot of happy SG1200 owners {easy on the pocket book and reliable}. I may yet get one after the Winegard gets here. As far as receivers go I have a Pansat 2700a and a Fortec lifetime ultra. Also and I dare not forget to mention, 2 DVB tuner cards 1022a and 1020. If it wasn't for me seeing them sitting in the sale bin at my local computer store I would still think that FTA mean't "free trade agreement". I come here every few days to reads the posts and find many of the things that people have to say very informative. And I'd like to thank all the people who make this site happen and spend the time to answer peoples questions.

Regards,
pegleg

I have an antenna farm installed about 15 miles NW of Thief River Falls, MN,
at a relative's house, using a 1.2 meter Primestar boresighted on 87 West.
No problem with the PBS national channels, but Montana PBS is wildly different in quality readings between clear sky and rainy conditions.
I have seen the quality reading in the low 90s on nice days, but it drops below 40 when the wet stuff comes down.

Regarding antenna availability in Winterpeg. Check with my friends who used to run Electronics Wholesale (now affiliated with Incredible Electronics).
They may have resources to find 1 meter and larger antennas around.
Due to customs hassles and current fuel costs, I would not even try bringing them across the border any more (Grand Forks is my hometown) in quantities, and it's been nearly five years since cheap 1.2 meter Primestar antennas were plentiful.

Mike

Mikes right ...... Go to "Incredible" on McPhillips. They usually have a good selection of dishes .............. MK

Regarding antenna availability in Winterpeg. Check with my friends who used to run Electronics Wholesale (now affiliated with Incredible Electronics).
They may have resources to find 1 meter and larger antennas around.

The reason for my gloom when I started this topic was that Incredible Electronics claims that they no longer sell any dishes of any size at their store anymore. I Talked to Tina one of the sales personel there, over the phone two days ago. This is what she told me. She didn't explain any further. So unless I heard wrong your SOL if you live in Winnipeg.

I was there today and they have 1 metre dishes.

:confused: :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cannot get PBS HDTV off AMC 3

4dtv and coolsat 4000 pro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)