dish size for Brownsville

twosees

Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
A newbie with probably an old question. A canadian who wants to take his Bell with him to Brownsville for the winter. I know I will not get all channels but need info on best size of dish and type of LNB to use. Have these angles..58.9 abd 165.8???

Now I live in Northern California. I can receive some of the N3 transponders, but they are 50% at best on strength. Has anyone tried a very large collector, 3 to 6 feet,to improve those signal levels? I'm willing to try anything to get a better signal, and possibly pull in transponders 23 and 7 for sure!

Iceberg said:
yep. It was tried a while back. People tried a 4 foot dish with 0 success
Well, that answers my burning question.
Thank you very much.
(I assume that's for people with zero signal to start with)

techdood said:
Now I live in Northern California. I can receive some of the N3 transponders, but they are 50% at best on strength. Has anyone tried a very large collector, 3 to 6 feet,to improve those signal levels? I'm willing to try anything to get a better signal, and possibly pull in transponders 23 and 7 for sure!
What size are you using to get 50 on N3 now?
A standard 20" D500 antenna?
I was going to try a 36" , but that was in an area with zero signal on 20".
If you are getting anything, then maybe a standard 30" FTA antenna might give you improvement.

I am using a Toroidal 90. I don't exactly know its dimensions, but I'd place it similar to a 30" collector. I also use the T-90 to see birds at 97,101,105,110,119, & 121 W. Most are Dishnets, 97 for a filipino service, and the 110 lnb is that reversed "C" type to get my direct HD's.

I'm skeptical of the claims for the T-90, as to effective size, but...
here are the advertized gains for it and some Fortec dishes on the Sadoun site:
T90 = 39.6 db
31 " = 38.2 db
36 " = 39.3 db
39 " = 41.0 db
48 " = 43.3 db
The 36" doesn't look encouraging, does it?
And, those bigger dishes cost a lot of money. ;(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)