Dish Size for certains Satellites/Transponders/channels ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robosat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
North of Mexico
Hi Guys.

I've been doing blind scans with 2 diferent receivers using the same antenna and the same LNB. Results are not identical. I understand there are best reception capabilities from one receiver to another. Right now my dish is 3 ft. (just for K Band)Thinking of installing one bigger (1.2m or 1.8m) for exploring the C band also, a question rises... Is there a web page containing info about Minimum Dish Size required for Channels or Transponders inside a satellite? The fact that transponders inside one satellite have different signal intensity makes difficult to know if I'm gonna tune certain channel with certain dish diameter. Of course, the best would be instal maybe a 5m dish, but not posisible for me. Does exist that kind of web page?

There was some discussion at one time about The List (see top of any page).
I thought all the C-band listings were confirmed by Iceberg on a 6' BUD.
Havent paid attention lately, so that may not be true.
Never did hear what size Ku dish was required, though 36" is comfortable on 99%, I think.
Would be good to know. :)

edit: there IS one additional fly in the ointment.
That would be your location.
Satellite signal intensity is not constant across North America.
There are signal-level maps, but they are only a guide, not a guarantee. :)

Bigger is always better...Cband 6 footer will get 99%...Ku Band a 36" dish will get about the same.
There are some channels that are difficult to get even with my 8' on Cband and my 36" on KU...but that's a very few.
If you've got a clear line of sight that's a plus too...Blind

About The list

There was some discussion at one time about The List (see top of any page).
I thought all the C-band listings were confirmed by Iceberg on a 6' BUD.
Havent paid attention lately, so that may not be true.
Never did hear what size Ku dish was required, though 36" is comfortable on 99%, I think.
Would be good to know. :)

edit: there IS one additional fly in the ointment.
That would be your location.
Satellite signal intensity is not constant across North America.
There are signal-level maps, but they are only a guide, not a guarantee. :)

Thanks guys. The Lyngsat site lists NBC channels as C Band Free channels. I checked The List Anole refers to (The one from SatelliteGuys), and I found that in AMC18 at 105W the NBC channels are not listed. Why is that?

The eirp dish size relationship is well established. Satbeams.com does a fair job presenting the correlation for the various sats and locations.

I know a few people in the midwest/upper midwest that are very happy with their 76cm Ku band dishes. Like Anole said, your location within the satellite's beam means a lot.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)