Dish Size & Strength

carlopatrick

Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
New Jersey
Hello All. I have an unusual scenario which I need some professional advice. I just bought a condo in South Florida and I want to install a dish system. I am using an old Dish 300 Antenna along with a legacy receiver. (I tested the receiver and dish back in my NJ home a few weeks ago and everything works great.) Now I shipped all the equipment to South Florida.

He is where my problem lies....I can't install an antenna outside in Florida condo (assoc. rules) so I am thinking about mounting the antenna inside the window so no one will bother me. First I wanted to make sure I had a ‘clear line of sight’ to ‘119 west’ and I do! Second, I took the antenna outside temporarily just to ‘test’ if I could lock onto 119 west. I got a high 80 (locked) on setup screen ( of course the dish is on outer edge of the balcony. However if I move the dish back (closer to the building), the signal fades and unlocks. I was wondering if I use a larger antenna, will I get a stronger signal ?...My goal is to mount the dish inside so condo people can't complain...BTW...I still have a clear line of sight from the inside of the condo..and the glass is just one thin piece so it shouldn’t interfere…Any suggestions???

Carlo

Actually the association cannot prevent you from installing the dish on your balcony as long as it doesn't extend over your private area. You are perfectly within your rights as the owner to do a bucket mount on your balcony and there isn't s*** the association can do about it. FCC regs trump the association.

S~

I really don't have my own balcony...No one does here..It's a common walkway...but you gave me some incentive...We're allowed to have chairs outside so I'm maybe thinking about mounting it under a plastic chair or table (hidden from curious eyes)

Condo Balcony

First: As long as you have exclusive use of your balcony, your association cannot say jack about placing a dish on the balcony.

Second: The Commission has previously ruled that when a dish is placed on a balcony it MAY overhand non-common elements, so long as the balcony is under the control of the unit owner.

In summary, any part of the common elements under the exclusive control of the unit owner, ie: driveway, balcony, garden, etc, can be used to install an OTA antenna and dishes are included in the definition.

NOTE: Your Board and / or Association can neither require advance notice for installation, nor cause you to file an installation diagram, nor cause you to use a specific bracket, nor cause you to pay any fee, no require any kind of pre-approval before you are allowed to install any DISH or other OTA receiving antenna. SO LONG AS YOUR DISH IS IN A COMMON AREA UNDER THE EXCLUSIVE CONTROL OF THE HOMEOWNER.

These rulings apply to both apartments, condos and townhouses.

For more information, see: FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

You can open FCC OTARD rulings in both WORD and PDF format.

Take some time and read through the rulings.

Contact information is contains in the Commission's website. If, after you present your case to your Association, and they still give you grief, sick the Commission on them. They will back down quickly.

Florida= SUN are the windows tinted using a metal film? That would kill the microwave signal. Window glass contains some metals so there will be some signal loss even if not tinted. Also the dish is an offset feed so the signal comes in 20+ degrees higher than the face of the dish so walls may actually be blocking your signal.

Cant lock 119 in jamaica

I subscribed to dishnetwork in the states but I am now in jamaica and cant seen to lock on 119, I have the 1000.2 sat and the vip722k
receiver. any suggestion on the skew, evelation and azmuth settings? HELP!!

Too small

I subscribed to dishnetwork in the states but I am now in jamaica and cant seen to lock on 119, I have the 1000.2 sat and the vip722k
receiver. any suggestion on the skew, evelation and azmuth settings? HELP!!

The 1000.2 isn't big enuff for that far away. There just isn't enough signal that makes it to Jamacia for it. You will need to be pointing to the EA set of sats not the WA set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)