DISH Sling Adapter Vs. Slingbox Performance

Jim1348

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
I have had my DISH Sling Adapter for a year or so now, but I have never used the regular Slingboxes. I m just wondering if the perform about the same? For example, my DISH Sling Adapter can have some buffering from time to time, which I attribute to my slow network(s). Anyway, for those that have both or have experienced both the DISH Sling Adapter and a traditional Slingbox, how do they compare?

A slow network will hamper either. I don't have the adapter, someone I work with does so I can't do a side by side comparison. It appears to me the automatic Slingstream setting on the Slingbox is able to cope better. The Box does so much more of course, including it's just like sitting with a remote in your hand. Anything you can do with the remote at home you can do with the Slingbox/Slingplayer. I have a radio attached tuned to the Red Sox channel so I can listen anywhere instead of using the bandwidth for TV, also have security cameras on there, and my locals in Tampa so I can see them in Ct. If you can't tell, I love the Slingbox.

Slingbox Pro-HD is better. Use both, and like Tamp8 says, with a true sling box it's like sitting with a remote in hand. Device support is an issue with the adapter. For the $0, the adapter was not a bad buy. For some reason, it does not like tuning the XM channels, but there is a workaround.

In the side-by-side comparison, on the same LAN, the slingbox delivers better throughput using the slingplayer desktop. However, the picture quality is pretty much equal once the sling adapter works out its buffering.

DISH Sling Adapter Vs. Slingbox Performanec

I returned my Slingbox Solo earlier today and bought the Slingbox PRO HD. Hopefully I will get it connected tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

I really like my sling adapter on my hopper but if they were the same price or I didn't care about money I would choose a real sling box any day.

The sling adapter works great on my iPhone. However, to watch on my PCs I have to use the Dish online website which is pretty buggy. Sometimes it won't work at all and sometimes I can watch live tv but not DVR programs. If I set a recording from dish online it works about 60% of the time. Also, it will not stay in full screen for more than 30 seconds at a time.

I returned my Slingbox Solo earlier today and bought the Slingbox PRO HD. Hopefully I will get it connected tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

The picture from the Pro HD is very good, more than very watchable even over the internet, superb over your own network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)