Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
It apears that Dish is finally getting serious about pirarcy, I just got a note saying that all Dish 6000 receivers will not work after August 31st if they do not have a new Yellow smartcard.

Here is a copy of the note

Smart Card Swap: Dish Network is beginning a programmiing access card or "smart card" exchange in its ongoing efforts to combat piracy of Dish Network Signalls. The older blue-colored cards that are house in the bay on the front of Dish Network receivers will be systematically "swappd out" with newer, more secre yellow-colored cards for several million of our subscribers. It is anticipated that the exchange will begin in October and is expected to take from 6 months to a year to complete. Dish Network will be sending the new yellow cards directly to the subscribers with a mailer that includes instructions and an explanation of the importance of swapping out the card. Subscribers will also beging to see intermittent on-screen text reminders about the exchange program in the weeks leading up the their exchange deadlines. Model 6000 HD receivers with blue access cards will not be able to receive programming after August 31, 2004, without a new yellow card. Dish Network has successfully completed an exchange program with a test group of Model 6000 accounts without any problems so we do n aticipate that you will have any significant issues with the exchange.
If you got a 6000 you are looking to sell, Ebay it now before its too late. :D

Also the note goes on the state that there will be a replacement offer for ABLE receivers coming soon (Able receivers are series 2000 and 3200 models) I guess they can not be upgraded to yellow cards.

I've mentioned this before, but I assume the prices of 6000 receivers really will DROP after that date. Is that correct ??

Scott, if it is going to take 6 months to 1 year to complete starting in October how will the cut off be August 31st?

Is the note a year old?

Are they saying the test group of 6000 receivers is All 6000's and they have all been upgraded?

I wonder if I'll still be able to use my 6000 for OTA - I have running that way forever! Maybe I should do the ebay thing now...

Do Dish Network employees really spell that poorly? :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Also the note goes on the state that there will be a replacement offer for ABLE receivers coming soon
When will they replace un-able receivers? I have a 522.

Well, the way DISH makes the 6000 not to work is to do a firmware upgrade. So instead of rushing to Ebay my 6000 now, wouldn't be more valuable to Ebay after most of the machines have been upgraded to the non-blue-card firmware and get more money out of it?

Mike Greer said:
Scott, if it is going to take 6 months to 1 year to complete starting in October how will the cut off be August 31st?
Most if not all of the 6000's have received the card already.

Scott Greczkowski said:
It apears that Dish is finally getting serious about pirarcy, I just got a note saying that all Dish 6000 receivers will not work after August 31st if they do not have a new Yellow smartcard.

Here is a copy of the note

If you got a 6000 you are looking to sell, Ebay it now before its too late. :D

Also the note goes on the state that there will be a replacement offer for ABLE receivers coming soon (Able receivers are series 2000 and 3200 models) I guess they can not be upgraded to yellow cards.

I called the tech forum last night hoping to get on and ask about the card swap but as always could'nt get past the call screeners.

My 6000 was one of the first for card swaps. They swapped my other current recievers as well. One week later I sold my 6000 with yellow card on ebay to some guy in puerto rico for over 500 (I received my 811 a couple of days after they sent the yellow cards). In my ebay ad, I did not mention what color card came with it. All i mentioned was that it had no balance. After I sold my 6000, I activated one of my old 3000 series dish recievers because they installed a third room with the 811. The 3000 had the old blue card and I just got the yellow card sent to me last week.

So I think if you have or had a 6000, you will be first for the card swaps.

If selling on ebay and you already have the yellow card, i would not mention what card is coming with it. I think the hackers like the old blue ones. Currently my blue cards are being used as toys by my five year old. he likes sliding them through doors and his play cash register.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Most if not all of the 6000's have received the card already.

I guess they didn't send me one because I don't use it anymore. I used it for a long time just as a OTA tuner for my projector. Now I have the HD-Tivo going I have no use for it...

smooth28la said:
Well, the way DISH makes the 6000 not to work is to do a firmware upgrade. So instead of rushing to Ebay my 6000 now, wouldn't be more valuable to Ebay after most of the machines have been upgraded to the non-blue-card firmware and get more money out of it?

As I understand it, there are two streams being sent out Nagra 1 & Nagra 2. Most likely, the update will not allow the 6000s to see Nagra 1 anymore. No matter what your card, if you don't have a yellow card to decode Nagra 2, the 6000 will not work.

I sold my 6000 for $550 about 3 months ago. I noticed that the guy who bought it from me purchased over 10 of these units in that time period. I wonder what his clients are going to say after 8/31?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)