Dish Store Closed

Well the job I needed this equipment for has been bumped until next Friday am. Ordered my 211 through a local retailer. The owner who I know well is heavily involved with politics, the retailer side of things in his business does not get much attention..............He is a typical politician that is full of BS & you can't believe anything he says. So I ordered my 211 through his retailer dish portal & dropped off a personal check at his store so the cashier can pay for the cod. Probably should have done this to begin with & will from now on.

You guys have no clue how UPS (and FedEx) calculates their Ground shipping charges. Here is shipping 101.

1) Package weight, if a package volume exceeds 3 cubic feet (5184 cubic inches) the charges are base on the "Dimensional Weight" if it doesn't exceeds its actual weight. Dimensional Weight = (L" x W" x H")/166. So, let say a package of 30" x 20" x 10" has a volume of 6000 square inches, divided by 166 is 36.1 lbs, then they round it up to the nearest pound and you are charges for 37 lbs. Now, I could ship this box empty which probably will weigh only 2 lbs. or fill it it with rocks, as long as the total weight of the box is less than 37 lbs you will be charged for 37 lbs!
2) Zones, obviously charges are based on the destination Zone, 2 through 8 (48 contiguous states).
3) If you ship a package to a residential address (doesn't matter is its a business) there is and extra charge for that.
4) Insurance, UPS insures automatically every package for up to $100 free, above $100 you pay extra.
5) Signature required, it will cost you extra too.
5) Fuel Surcharge, UPS adds fuel surcharge to every package, today it is 8.00% of the total shipping cost.
6) Shipping charges are higher if you don't have a regular Daily Pickup schedule or you drop it at the "UPS Store".

Nice explanation. I'd only add that when we ship on our account, we print the label and either hand it to a UPS driver or drop it off at the store. Same price, since pre labeled and on our account, either way.

BUT, other than that:

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Nice explanation. I'd only add that when we ship on our account, we print the label and either hand it to a UPS driver or drop it off at the store. Same price, since pre labeled and on our account, either way.

Correct, if you drop off a prepaid UPS package (labeled) at the UPS Store there isn't extra charge. You can do the same with FedEx, (at Kinko's) with one difference, you can hand fill out one of their Ground forms using your own FedEx account and FedEx will bill you directly at your regular rates (It works by me, YMMV).

Go ahead and calculate the rates on UPS.com

Ships from Detroit Michigan 48234 to ELIZABETHTON TN 37643

Polar Plate 13x8x9 (6 LBS)
LNB 12x6x7 (3 LBS)
Dish 30x3x24 (9 LBS)
Mast/Foot 29x7x6 (7 LBS)

The JPEG Image shows what the actual cost was in my system and the PDF attatchment shows what UPS would charge if you shipped from their customer counter.

So basically what we are dealing with here is the fact that the shipping system on the Dishstore under charged the customer for shipping. Since I already discounted the order $20, I couldn't discount the shipping more than it was already quoted because I was already taking a loss.

And if your thinking I could have taped the boxes together, its not possible since they are all irregular sizes and it would have created one huge box and when you calculate dimensional weight the price would have been about the same

Attachments

• UPS.JPG
    UPS.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 186
  • ups.pdf
    131 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Here is my actual rates...

I keep telling myself I'm not going to respond to this thread anymore, but. Why didn't this show at checkout. It's 1 thing to receive a quote during checkout & another to get a higher 1 after the fact. That has been my whole point.

I'll miss the DishStore net. Bought two of my three current receivers, a now retired/traded-in receiver and a few accessories including two SW64s for my mom's legacy system from DishStore.net. I love shopping on line and really hate calling for anything. Not sure what I'll do for my next purchase. Time will tell. Thanks for the great service while the net store was operating!

Call Claude directly at the numbers provided, just ask for him.

Not sure this thread was supposed to be about an ongoing billing dispute. Perhaps it should be closed. HINT!!

Not sure this thread was supposed to be about an ongoing billing dispute. Perhaps it should be closed. HINT!!

I'm personally tired of discussing my point, I agree. The bottom line is if you're in charge of a system & it fails you need to man up and deal with the consequences. I've done it many times under pricing a job, but wouldn't think about asking a customer for additional money after a I quoted a price, it just ain't right if I guessed wrong.

I have shipped many items and received many items in the past. When you have each package being different sizes then you cannot tape them together. I have taped many boxes together in the past that were the same size so that the shipping cost was less. I have received many taped together as well saving on shipping costs. If the box gets too large then they will charge you an oversize fee which I believe is an extra $25. The best way to do it is to try to ship everything in one large box. The price does not go up a whole lot adding a few extra pounds to an existing box vs. having an additional box.

If you cannot ship it one large box then perhaps two smaller boxes would suffice instead of four individual boxes. The problem that may create is that it could create extra handling time which costs money to have people to take the time to package the items plus the additional packaging to pad the smaller boxes in the larger box so it may not save any money in some cases.

They used to ship the dishes with all the parts in one single box but started shipping each individual piece of the dish in bulk in their own box making that harder to do. I think the UPS store charges $20 for the handling and additional packaging alone for a dish as I contacted them before to see how much it would cost.

Go ahead and calculate the rates on UPS.com

Ships from Detroit Michigan 48234 to ELIZABETHTON TN 37643

Polar Plate 13x8x9 (6 LBS)
LNB 12x6x7 (3 LBS)
Dish 30x3x24 (9 LBS)
Mast/Foot 29x7x6 (7 LBS)

The JPEG Image shows what the actual cost was in my system and the PDF attatchment shows what UPS would charge if you shipped from their customer counter.

So basically what we are dealing with here is the fact that the shipping system on the Dishstore under charged the customer for shipping. Since I already discounted the order $20, I couldn't discount the shipping more than it was already quoted because I was already taking a loss.

And if your thinking I could have taped the boxes together, its not possible since they are all irregular sizes and it would have created one huge box and when you calculate dimensional weight the price would have been about the same

I've ran your #'s on the ups calculator & fedex. Your still going in the hole with the amount shown on the pdf.
From my point of view as a customer I had no way of knowing what shipping cost are other than what the invoice shows. Again it would have been to easy to say upfront that your billing system @ checkout calculated the shipping wrong. If you still want it here is the actual costs.
I apologize for some of the things I said here. This could of have been avoided with timely communication & accurate info. because I would of obtained this equipment by other means.

Last edited:
I have dealt with Claude several times - both through the Inet and by calling. Pretty much all of my equipment came from him. I am sorry to see him dropping Dish cause I will have to buy from others.

Good luck Claude - it was a pleasure dealing with you.

Well, to bring this thread back around to it's original intended purpose, I also would like to thanks Claude for past service.

Over the years, I've ordered ALL of my equipment, receivers, dishes, LNBs, remotes, splitters (or whatever they're called), etc. and always gotten top notch service and support, both by email and here.

Since we needed another new remote (we go through one about every two years) and I was trying to find DishStore.net, the recommended online sites are appreciated, and it's good to know that I can still call Claude.

Thanks for the ride, it was good while it lasted!

Yes , www.dishdepot.com is best in my opinion. Mark is great to work with and offers trade ins credits for OWNED receivers. I've bought all my DISH receivers there since 2003. Best part NO TAX if you live out side of the state of Florida ,where he is located.

It's tough being in business. Can never please everyone..................................................... I think everyone should try running some form of business once and see what it's like, could make you more understanding.

Isn't that the truth! And over the past few years, as times have gotten tougher, customers seem to be wanting more and more things for free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts