Dish Super Joey Power Off / On

ModelAX

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2020
Rockford, Il
Been a Dish customer for long time. Updated my 11 year old VIP722 receiver with Hopper with Sling (HWS), 1 Wired Super Joey, and 2 Wired Joeys. Installation was done by a certified Dish dealer about two months ago.

The full system has worked great with no problems until a week and half ago. The problem is with the super joey. I power down the Super joey with the remote and get the standard message on the screen about the joey will go into standby. After about a minute, the Super joey goes into standby and I get the standby splash screen and I have checked that the super joey does release the tuner on the HWS.

Here is problem. After about 1 minute, the Super Joey power on indicator comes on by itself and I check the television and the splash screen is gone the regular channel is displayed. The Super joey turned on all by itself! All functions operate just as if I turned on the Super joey with the remote.

I check HSW and a turner is now assigned to the Super joey. The Super joey stays on all day and all night. It does not go into standby. The HWS and the two other joey work just fine. This is more of an annoyance because the Super joey works just fine when watching the television.

What I have done.

1. Press Super joey front panel reset.

2. Power cycled Supper joey

3. Remove all power from the HWS, Super joey, and joeys. Power up system.

Anyone else seen this?

I have not called Dish support. I thought I would try this group first.

Been a Dish customer for long time. Updated my 11 year old VIP722 receiver with Hopper with Sling (HWS), 1 Wired Super Joey, and 2 Wired Joeys. Installation was done by a certified Dish dealer about two months ago.

The full system has worked great with no problems until a week and half ago. The problem is with the super joey. I power down the Super joey with the remote and get the standard message on the screen about the joey will go into standby. After about a minute, the Super joey goes into standby and I get the standby splash screen and I have checked that the super joey does release the tuner on the HWS.

Here is problem. After about 1 minute, the Super Joey power on indicator comes on by itself and I check the television and the splash screen is gone the regular channel is displayed. The Super joey turned on all by itself! All functions operate just as if I turned on the Super joey with the remote.

I check HSW and a turner is now assigned to the Super joey. The Super joey stays on all day and all night. It does not go into standby. The HWS and the two other joey work just fine. This is more of an annoyance because the Super joey works just fine when watching the television.

What I have done.

1. Press Super joey front panel reset.

2. Power cycled Supper joey

3. Remove all power from the HWS, Super joey, and joeys. Power up system.

Anyone else seen this?

My Wireless Joey in my bedroom does that. I have a soundbar connected to it via optical cable to the Joey itself and sometimes I'll walk in the room or wake up and the audio is playing through the soundbar, but the TV is off still

Yes it does. The power light on the Super Joey does go off and displays the splash screen, but after a minute, the Super Joey power light comes on and resumes with the television show.

• Wow
Reactions: HipKat
My Wireless Joey in my bedroom does that. I have a soundbar connected to it via optical cable to the Joey itself and sometimes I'll walk in the room or wake up and the audio is playing through the soundbar, but the TV is off still
I had a 501 that would sometimes randomly turn itself on (and, more recently, a ViP211 with the same issue) but that was years ago, though.

Anyone else seen this?

Unfortunately, having any Joeys turned on will prevent the Hopper from taking new software updates. The best thing to do is to keep watching this forum to see when a new software version is released for the Hopper With Sling. Then, completely disconnect the Super Joey, and force the HWS to update to the new software. Hopefully, this will also download new Joey software versions to fix this issue. After the HWS updates the software, reconnect the Super Joey and see if the issue gets fixed. (If it is the Super Joey software that is causing this issue, there may be no way for the Super Joey to actually get the new software from the HWS, though, since the Super Joey will not stay in standby. In that case, the only solution may be to get a replacement Super Joey, and hope that the replacement does not also have the defective software installed.)

Reactions: TheKrell
I had a 501 that would sometimes randomly turn itself on (and, more recently, a ViP211 with the same issue) but that was years ago, though.

Then, there's the other mystery of turning either TV on and walking out, then a bit later back into a room and the receiver is off.

Reactions: pattykay
I thought I would give an update on what I have observed the past couple of weeks with the random power on of my Super Joey (SJ).

I noticed the next day that the power light was off and the SJ worked just fine. After two or three days, I noticed in the morning the power light was on and the SJ exhibited the same problems as noted in my original post.

The next morning the power light was off and worked okay for two or three days.

This cycle of two or three days off and one day on keeping repeating itself.

I have come to the conclusion that something happens during the 1 AM reset of the Hopper and it doing some other type of reset to the SJ. The 1 AM reset does not effect the Hopper or the two other Joeys.

The Hopper, SJ, and two Joeys worked just fine. The power light on the SJ coming on and off is just annoying.

I've been having this issue for a while..i have a similar set-up. HWS, 2 Joeys, 1 SJ, and 1 4K joey. I have been having this issue for a bit..the SJ is in my daughters room and I have both used the remote to turn it off and used the hopper activity screen to turn it off...

I want to say it's not happening anymore, but i haven't specifically paid attention to it the last few days to be sure...I did talk to folks at Dish about it so maybe it's being worked on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)