Dish supposedly adds 655,000 subs for Q2 2012

You are scaring me today. In another thread you posted something that sounded like you saw a movie where Danny DeVito was Batman. Now you have Charlie giving lap dances.

I mentioned the last Batman movie I saw was with Danny DeVito when contemplating whether I should see the new Batman movie. The point being that I haven't seen a Batman movie in years...and someone commented that it would be wise to see the other "Dark" Batman movies prior to seeing the newest release. I said nothing about Danny DeVito playing the role of Batman.

As for Charlie giving lap dances...the visual image I provided the community was topical, timely and my use of a double entendre was pure comic genius. I'm sorry my posting scared you since it was meant to poke fun at the absurdity of adding 655K net subs in one quarter. :)

They actually lost 10K with during the quarter of the Hopper introduction?If that's the case definitely not good.Q3 will most likely be worse with the Amc dispute.They better hope they can win the ptat and auto hop cases or it could get real ugly.

They did not lose 650,000. They lost 10k.

I said lost 650,000 gross. I know that they lost 10,000 net subscribers.

I think they stand more to gain than to lose with AMC being gone but Directv losing Viacom channels, especially if those channels do not come back soon.

I said lost 650,000 gross. I know that they lost 10,000 net subscribers.

I think they stand more to gain than to lose with AMC being gone but Directv losing Viacom channels, especially if those channels do not come back soon.

You know who's really going to come out smelling like roses?Netflix and roku thats who.;)

And I doubt you would. Most people will be calling the 800 number, not talking to local Dish dealers. You might have a few local yokels calling you but otherwise local dealers are a distant memory.

Alive and well here! You don't know what you're missing if you're not dealing with a local dealer.

The year end figures will be most interesting.

Dish "beat the street" but still had a net loss. Hmmm. I guess Hopper was a big part of that, but not quite big enough.

Yes, seeing year end figures and determining if they beat DirecTV in net gain numbers for 2012 will be most interesting indeed.

There are no "real" local retailers here in Indy anymore (Dish's guide lists nothing but Cellular Connection). Closest independents are in outlying towns, 30-40 miles away. The only one I was aware of, closed two years ago.

Same here with the lack of "local" dealers. Dozens of listings for "Cellular Connection" and then one for "Del Cid Satellite" and another company that I can't remember. Del Cid has no real information from the internet while the other one uses the same site design that I've seen used by many national resellers (so I suspect they are just order-takers and Dish or their contractors will do the actual work).

There is a minimum sales requirement to be listed on the dish.com retailer look-up. We've been on it every quarter since the beginning but there are a lot of smaller retailers that just don't sell enough to make the list. Usually if there are more dealers in your area they'll be listed in the phone book or if you have a Shopper type newspaper.

IMHO all those thousands of Cellular Connections shouldn't even be on the list. They aren't real dealers at all and just make it harder to find a real dealer.

If you compare the total subscribers number in the Street Insider article with the Q1 numbers, the indication is that DISH is down by 10,000 customers. Someone at Street Insider screwed the pooch.

There is a minimum sales requirement to be listed on the dish.com retailer look-up. We've been on it every quarter since the beginning but there are a lot of smaller retailers that just don't sell enough to make the list. Usually if there are more dealers in your area they'll be listed in the phone book or if you have a Shopper type newspaper.

IMHO all those thousands of Cellular Connections shouldn't even be on the list. They aren't real dealers at all and just make it harder to find a real dealer.
PHONE BOOK? Oh yes, I remember those.

With AT&T in this market, you have to call...and call to get one (White Pages) anymore. I know, we still get yellow pages/book.

If those smaller retailers don't have enough sales to make the list on dish.com, would one really want to depend on them ?

navychop said:
The year end figures will be most interesting.

Dish "beat the street" but still had a net loss. Hmmm. I guess Hopper was a big part of that, but not quite big enough.

Yes, seeing year end figures and determining if they beat DirecTV in net gain numbers for 2012 will be most interesting indeed.

Charlie has said the business is mature and can expect growth of 1 percent/year (140,000) at best. I would expect the sat companies to start losing customers as triple play cable and telephone service expands. Turning into a dog business.

Except outside of FiOS, I think most cablecos and their equipment -uh, er, are "disappointing."

If those smaller retailers don't have enough sales to make the list on dish.com, would one really want to depend on them ?

Sure. They do a few Dish, a few DirecTV, some WildBlue, a little HughesNet and some even do computers, networking, surveillance systems, and who knows what else. I realize that most everybody here at SatGuys doesn't need a general tech expert who's easily reachable, friendly and is the same person or persons every time they call, but fortunately a lot of people still do. :)

Has the churn been this horrendous in past quarters? Obviously Dish needs to do something about retention. My list in no particular order:

1) Add OTA module to Hopper
2) Make it available on accounts with other Dish receivers
3) Negotiate with AMC
4) Negotiate with Disney
5) Get some streaming on BB@home besides the ancient/unheard of stuff from the old Platinum channels. (OK, some are pretty good, but I literally can't watch most of those programs; they are that bad.)
6) Standalone SlingPlayer
7) Resurrect the Dish Remote Access website. (DishOnline has been so cumbersome, if not just plain broken, for programming and watching stuff from my receiver, I personally refuse to use it.)
8) Ditch the obscene fees, such as $17 per duo DVR, or $7 for each and every Joey.
9) Put everything in AEP. Well, at least BB@home...
10) Give us a pack w/o sports
11) Gives us a la carte! (ducking for cover)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts