Dish swapping cards (again??)

Derwin0 said:
I believe it is Nagravison as they warenteed N2 for Dish Network and Expressvu.

i'm sure they'll find a way to raise prices and blame it on increased costs due to 'fighting' piracy. of course i would love to be wrong here.

Iceberg said:
here's a weird one.....we all know the card swap Dish did earlier this year, right?
Well my dad calls me yesterday and said he "got something from dish. Something about changing a card. Next time you're over, come and fix it"
So I check it out. He gets the "card swap" letter and one card (he has three receivers)
Check the one in the living room...check (yellow card)
Check the one in the bedroom...nope thats the one to change
Here's the weird part. The card he got is yellow with a big "Dish500" on it. The one I am replacing is yellow and has a Dish500 logo and the different movie channel logos on it
Weird part II...the recever in the living room has the same type of card and the sheet says "updated card"
whatupwitdat?

First Congrat ICEBERG:

Would you or anyone know how does DISH ship the replacement yellow cards. Did your Dad get it via US MAIL if you can check.

I bought a 508 refurb from a real local dish retailer had a BLUE card and it wont work I am in my 8th day of waiting for DISH to send one out.

Thanks

TRIDO

Last edited:
Iceberg, not Iceburg :D

They are sent via USPS to your mailing address. When I did my card swap this spring, I got it in the mail. My dad got his in the mail too :)

The Iceburgs are melting, ahhhh!

I heard in the past that they ship them to the physical location but that must be if they use UPS. A lot of people had to make up physical location address because they did not actually have one or had to change it because of issues with the system accepting this and that.

trido said:
First Congrat ICEBERG:

Would you or anyone know how does DISH ship the replacement yellow cards. Did your Dad get it via US MAIL if you can check.

I bought a 508 refurb from a real local dish retailer had a BLUE card and it wont work I am in my 8th day of waiting for DISH to send one out.

Thanks

TRIDO

Exact same thing happened to me. Call back and tell them to resend it, via UPS. Make sure you get a reference or tracking number.

Do you guys think that they will send out cards to go in that empty slot in my 625 or do the units with the built-in card have better security?

HokieEngineer said:
Iceberg, go onto the System Info screen and check what it says next to your smartcard number.
You'll see either ROM101, 102, 103 or S01.
They are swapping out Rom101 cards to newer cards, rom102 or higher. There was a major bug in the 101 cards that allowed a compromise.
101 was compromised a few months ago. Of course 102 was compromised a few weeks ago, so maybe they'll come up with a NEW card to swap everyone to. What a waste...

They'll probably go to rom110.

IMO, it's a waste of time and resources. Is it worth it? What is the percentage of people stealing (or even bothering to learn how-to) vs paying subscribers?

herzzreh said:
Is it worth it? What is the percentage of people stealing (or even bothering to learn how-to) vs paying subscribers?
Well i learned how but... I still pay for programming and have never hacked for service. I think it is wrong but i was intrigued on how easy it is for someone to do it.

sA :: Shaggy said:
Well i learned how but... I still pay for programming and have never hacked for service. I think it is wrong but i was intrigued on how easy it is for someone to do it.

So did I. It's extremelly easy. Do I do it? No. It's not right (surprisingly, even I have some morals left) and relatively unstable.

My point is that Dish probably spends millions on new encryption, new cards, education etc. Is it really worth for them or are they doing it out of principle? I think it's principle. They're not really losing anything when people pirate (like I said, I doubt majority of subscribers either knows it could be done/will learn how to do it/will bother [you and I are in this category]), so why spend money? To force testers to subscribe? I doubt that most of that demographic will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts