Dish tech support vs. audio dropouts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

haertig

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2004
Well, my previously well-behaved 522 (mostly) finally fell victim to the massive audio dropouts that many have complained about here. I've read here (in many threads) about how Dish tech support is nothing but worthless.

My experiences were different. No, they didn't fix my dropout problem, but they were anything but rude, stupid, uncaring, and all the other things I've heard reported. The firstline tech was very nice. When I got the feeling that I was going to be requested to soft-boot the thing, I came up with a preemptive strike and said "Please don't tell me to reboot this thing - that doesn't work." To which she replied, "No, it usually doesn't." She seemed genuinely interested when I mentioned this has gotten to be a problem only after the 2.x releases of the software. I asked what was the deal with this 2.01, 2.02, and 2.03 in rapid sequence, and she said the latest ones were to get that special Olympics stuff working right. She did some kind of search to see how many people may be complaining about audio dropouts. She said it didn't appear to be widespread, or at least people weren't complaining about it much. She then said she'd enter a case against it to make sure it was followed up. She then volunteered that she would move me on to the second line tech support to make sure THEY were aware of the problem and would follow up on it. I cannot say at all that I was angry with Dish's response thus far.

The second line tech, another very nice lady, was also very good. Again, the problem was not solved on this call, but I feel genuine efforts were made to address the problem. This tech again checked and said that reports of this problem were rare. MY RECOMMENDATION - CALL AND REPORT THE PROBLEM, LET'S NOT JUST SIT IN MISERY WITH EACH OTHER!

This second tech asked very reasonable things in my opinion to try to isolate the problem. Does it happen on both TV outputs? With recorded shows? With live shows? With an almost-live show spooled back a few minutes? She mentioned that dropouts are often times due to signal problems. Check my antenna feeds for tightness. Try switching antenna feeds on the back of the 522, etc. She said to check signal strength. She mentioned that most customers are in the 90's on signal strength, but 80's are fine. The problem with the 80's she said, is if it degrades for some reason and you fall into the 70's, then that's where all kinds of problems really start occurring. Targetting 80's (at least) on install gives customers a reasonable buffer to start with.

All of what I encountered appeared to be very truthful and sincere. The second tech said that this doesn't sound like a problem with my individual 522, other than the possibility that signal strength could be at the root of my problem. She did not dwell on this possibility, but went on to say that they are very sensitive new issues that come up with software upgrades. The more they hear of problems occurring, the harder the engineers will work to try to duplicate a specific complaint. I did point her to this forum as a source of info (with the caviot that they may have to work through a few rants before getting to good info).

I do not know if Dish will actually follow up on my complaint. I expect more than one follow up post here to call me an idiot for even hoping so. But I was NOT blown off or treated rudely on the phone by Dish. Far from it. I was friendly on the phone and tried not to appear as an idiot by going off on mindless rants about every little problem I've ever encountered. This may or may not have been a factor in how I was treated. Maybe the evening shift techs are just better than the daytime ones!

I've had pretty good experiences when I've called their tech support also. A few times, I feel I knew more about the stuff than the rep did, but more often, the rep was pretty smart and very reasonable to deal with.

You mention another good point. With all the complaints *here* about audio sync, was she lying when she said the problem didn't appear widespread ?? I'd tend to think she wasn't. People are more likely to "JUST SIT IN MISERY WITH EACH OTHER" instead of reporting it to Dish. For what it's worth, I called 4-5 days after people here started seeing excessive 'hard disk diagnostics" screens on the 522. I spoke to two reps for quite a long time and both of them said they've heard no complaints about this nor did they show anything in their "knowledge base" that they use.

On my system info page, the number listed for Technical Support is a local satellite co. Last time I called to complain about my 522 they sent out a technician to replace it. Unfortunatley the new 522 one has the same problems as the one he replaced.

Is the 800 number listed for programming changes the same one you call for tech. support from Dish? I don't want to keep calling the local company to complain about bugs in the 522 since they can't do anything about it.

The technician said they are getting screwed by Dish because he doesn't get paid to come out and replace Dish receivers. Seems that if Dish puts out defective equipment they should foot the bill to replace it.

My audio dropouts (I guess more of an "audio/viedo freeze" actually) have continued. As expected, since so many seem to be reporting this here. I sent an email to tech support as a followup to my earlier phone call. I stated that I couldn't see any way that they might NOT be aware of this problem, and pointed out many posts here.

They responded by email saying that THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE WITH THE 522 and that the product manager was aware of it. At last, a solid admission of the problem. The email stated they hope to have it fixed in a "week or so". Let's all hope.

On a positive note, I'm not paying their VOD fee until I'm up an running as a functional DVR again. I called the billing people on an unrelated problem. Seems they wanted to charge me an extra $9.98 per month because my receivers weren't plugged into a phone line. I told them they were, and that caller id works, so it's not my problem if their hardware fails to phone home as they want it to. So the $9.98 came off right away - no problem. While I had them on the phone, I mentioned that I wasn't happy paying an extra $5 per month to have a DVR that doesn't do DVR well. I said the audio/video dropout/freeze problems were so annoying that our family only used live TV, so the 522 was functioning as a 322 only. They lady helping me had to leave the phone for a minute (to get approval?) but she came back on in about two minutes as said they would waive the $5 fee.

So my suggestion: If you don't think they're listening to you in tech support, send a firm email like I did saying there's not way they could not know, and request a reply. Once you have a reply saved away that acknowledges the problem, call billing and request they waive your $5. Escalate to a supervisor if you must, but don't let them off the hook. Maybe a flanking attack on the financial side will get some attention to this problem.

BTW, we REALLY don't use the 522 as a DVR anymore. It's just not worth pulling your hair out trying to watch something that freezes up every few seconds. Even my kids have said "NO" to anything but live TV.

Good work. We should all be calling, politely, just so they know the extent of the problem. That said, my experiences are not nearly so bad. I get rare, short hiccups in the sound, and that is about it.

I don't see how a company as large as DISH could still be having problems with their DVRs! I had the audio dropout issue happen when I had their 510. Ever since switching to the DTivo I haven't had any of the problems I had with DISH.

You make a good point that I think I mentioned before. Everyone needs to call and complain. Sitting here and complaining does NOTHING to resolve the issues. I doubt dish employees care to read through all the complaining done on these forums.

I do think the Customer Service was lying when they told you the issue wasn't widespread. Obviously they are going to get a lot of complaints when simple video playback isn't working as it should. The most simple of functions, VIDEO PLAYBACK doesn't work right. Even VCR's can do that!

I'm willing to give them another week or two to let them iron these things out, because I'm pretty comfortable with the setup I've had for about a month now.

BUT, if they give me one more update that doesn't fix the OBVIOUS problems then I'm switching to DirecTV. They have a great NFL Ticket promotion right now, 4 for 4. Dish better get on the ball if they don't want to lose a customer.

Monday I sent a complaint to DishQuality@echostar.com about audio freeze problems. I also complained about lost signal on live TV/recordings and that this is my 2nd 522 box. The next day I got a call from Dish corporate HQ asking be about the problems. He said mine was an anomaly and that it didn't sound like any known issues :confused:.
So, I guess not enough people are complaining to the the right people (or he was lying).
Anyway, they set up an appointment to have a technician come out to try to figure out what is going on. They ended up getting the original installer who said he would come out and replace my LNB today. While this might help with the lost signal problems I'm afraid I'll still have the audio freeze issues that everyone else is having.
At least Dish seemed genuinely concerned and they are willing to try whatever they can to fix it. I forgot to mention the "Guide of Death" problem in my email. Guess I'll add that to my list when I call if (when) the new LNB doesn't fix the playback problems.

Reread your posts the responses you have gotten from DISH range from a product manager acknowledging it is a known issue to tech support saying this is an isolated instance. Believe what you want but this is the same story we have heard for the last 5 years DISH refuses to admit they have problems and SUCKERS keep buying and believing they are the only ones with the problems. When you get your 5th replacement that still has the same problem will you accept you are the only one with this problem or will you finally open your eyes.

I've had the 522 about 2 weeks now, and my problem is during playback it will drop the audio, then the video will play but it will be discolored or in black and white. I haven't had any freezing problem. I think this is a little different than most people posting. Anybody having this problem? If I restart the playback it usually fixes it, but it's a pain. I'll be calling and complaining tonight. I have no problem with signal strength (my installer got mine over 100). The recorder/playback is just a little screwy.

Pikejg -

The loss of color issue is one that has been discussed her before. I typically have it happen on TV2 (I can't remember ever having seen it on TV1) and yes, rewinding/skipping back and then continuing forward seems to do the trick. I hadn't seen it occur recently and thought that they had fixed it. However, the other night it occurred again running under 2.03.

You're not alone!

boba said:
... and SUCKERS keep buying and believing they are the only ones with the problems ...
Boba - I realize you very much dislike Dish, but I'm not a sucker. I did research into both Dish and DirectTV before committing to one. I found problems reported on both, as expected by anyone with normal life experience. I made a conscious decision to go with Dish. I was suckered into nothing. I may well make a conscious decision to move to DirectTV at some time in the future, or dump satellite altogether, but that decision won't be made because someone told me it was the correct thing to do, or called me a sucker.

Let's face it, the current state of our world is that customer support, everywhere, is not quite at the level we'd prefer. And the products we're buying are often times far from perfect. Where does that leave us? Just trying to help each other I guess. Throwing insults at those who don't immediately jump to your side of the fence doesn't really help. I think you have a lot of knowledge. I've learned from you in these forums. But there's really no need to insult everybody who currently subscribes to Dish. We can't help it ... we're just a bunch of stupid suckers! ;-)

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)