Dish tech telling me my problem is my receiver

Donegan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2021
USA
Hi everyone, this is another follow-up post to my earlier ones below:

So, i finally sent a text to the Dish tech who did my pole mount install last week, explained to him how we are missing many HD channels, and by that i mean they are showing up in the program guide but selecting them gives me the "signal loss on HD channel, tuning to SD equivalent"
Like i had reported in my earlier post, our signal strength numbers are just plain weak, 110 and 119 in the low 30's and 129 in the 20's, sometimes as low as 9 or 10, or even 3 or 4. I asked the tech if he could come back out to help us out, and possibly do a dish re-aim, he texted me back saying "call Dish and ask them to send you another receiver, I'll come out and install it, its the receiver," and so, at this point, I'm ready to just call Dish and request a new tech, because this guy doesnt seem to be interested in fixing anything, i already know Dish will say we have to upgrade to a Hopper system since we are on a VIP722k DVR box right now, i cant imagine they will swap it out with another one, and no we are not interested in upgrading and paying more than we already do, and frankly I'm not convinced the problem has anything to do with the receiver, i think its the tech looking to get paid for another callout and an upsale to newer equipment, what do you guys think? Should i just call Dish and complain? I tried to give this guy a chance to fix it but it doesnt look like it will go that way, getting frustrated to say the least...

Your dish is out of whack. Personally I'd bypass the tech and call dish directly.
Yep, enough is enough, i tried and im a patient person, but i really believe its the dish, i even think the pole may not be plumb, will be getting a torpedo level with a magnet from Harbor Freight tomorrow and try and determine if thats the case or not, then im calling Dish and demanding a new tech be sent out to fix it, or start exploring other providers, thanks for the input

Yep, enough is enough, i tried and im a patient person, but i really believe its the dish, i even think the pole may not be plumb, will be getting a torpedo level with a magnet from Harbor Freight tomorrow and try and determine if thats the case or not, then im calling Dish and demanding a new tech be sent out to fix it, or start exploring other providers, thanks for the input
They won't make you upgrade. They'll offer it, but you don't need to take it. Your "tech" sounds like he's lazy and incompetent, btw

They won't make you upgrade. They'll offer it, but you don't need to take it. Your "tech" sounds like he's lazy and incompetent, btw

Hellooooo...

We've seen a lot of 722K's do this. We hook the meter up to the wire from the dish and the signals are great. Hook it back up to the 722 and they suck. Not saying that this is definitely the problem but it's easily diagnosed.

Hellooooo...

We've seen a lot of 722K's do this. We hook the meter up to the wire from the dish and the signals are great. Hook it back up to the 722 and they suck. Not saying that this is definitely the problem but it's easily diagnosed.
So could this explain why im not able to view certain channels in HD? I guess its like you said, if the signal at the dish is reading good but not inside at the receiver, i would have to believe that's the problem, i would like to see the numbers off the meter tho if possible, and that would convince me its not mis-aligned,

It's that time of year where trees start to be an issue as well.
And we do have plenty of trees around us, tall ones, most of them have leafed out pretty good by now but it is a hassle for something like getting a good sat. signal

You could download Winegard's TV Signal Finder or Satellite Pointer free app on your cell phone and check to see how close the trees are for your line of site to the satellites.Stand in front of the dish and look at the locations..Might at least give you a idea if it's a tree problem

Reactions: Donegan
Hellooooo...

Seen it too, many times!! Somewhere I overlooked the fact he had a 722
And Helloooo back!!!!

So could this explain why im not able to view certain channels in HD? I guess its like you said, if the signal at the dish is reading good but not inside at the receiver, i would have to believe that's the problem, i would like to see the numbers off the meter tho if possible, and that would convince me its not mis-aligned,

Have the tech show you the numbers on the meter from the wire behind the receiver. If they're high that would eliminate any doubt about the receiver. Good luck.

Have the tech show you the numbers on the meter from the wire behind the receiver. If they're high that would eliminate any doubt about the receiver. Good

You could download Winegard's TV Signal Finder or Satellite Pointer free app on your cell phone and check to see how close the trees are for your line of site to the satellites.Stand in front of the dish and look at the locations..Might at least give you a idea if it's a tree problem
Thanks, ill try that and see what i get

Have the tech show you the numbers on the meter from the wire behind the receiver. If they're high that would eliminate any doubt about the receiver. Good luck.
So it would be the cable coming from the wall inside right? The one that goes to the satellite input, but disconnect it and connect it to the meter, and that would show what the signal numbers actually are right before they go into the receiver, just making sure i understand right, thanks

So it would be the cable coming from the wall inside right? The one that goes to the satellite input, but disconnect it and connect it to the meter, and that would show what the signal numbers actually are right before they go into the receiver, just making sure i understand right, thanks
Yep, that's it. Checking the signal behind the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)