Dish Telemarketing Violations May Cost Them Billions in Fines

The FTC (and Attorneys Generals) always settle for what amounts to chump change to the big companies who are alleged to have committed the transgression. Look for a settlement with the FTC nowhere near the "billions" number. But most often, the FTC gets meaningful new limitations agreed to by the companies as part of the settlement.

Now, I do remember DirecTV was slapped by the FTC for something, but I can't remember. Look, all these companies break the law everyday of their existence. It is unfortunate that I never consider cable and satellite and those even WORSE wireless (ALL the big cell phone cos.) companies to be exceptions.

Yea that's why directv no longer allows telemarketing.

Seems like Dish was looking at successful dealerships to see what they were doing wrong or right so that they could do it themselves, in-house and shut the dealers down to save money. They did shut many down a few years back. I had a discussion with a nearby Dish dealer regarding what the future was going to hold and he also knew this was coming eventually. He closed up shop a few years back, I went to his auction and bought up a bunch of his stuff. He did some pretty decent sales in the area and was very surprised that he closed up instead of having his daughter run it.

Dish saves a bunch not having to pay the residuals when they drop a dealer. Is this what the bulk of the money that they owe you for Claude over a period of years? I know that their residuals were a buck or so per customer depending on the volume that you did, you used to get it for the life of the customer then they changed it to only five years max but you lose a lot when you shouldnt due to upgrades, disconnects getting reconnected later on and so forth.

The contracts that they have with the dealers state that they are "incentives" so technically they can get away with not paying the dealers if they choose to do so with the wording in their contracts. If you do not agree to their contracts annually then you are not a dealer anymore. The contract states that they can terminate you for any or no reason whatsoever at any time. You basically have no recourse. Been this way for years. They made sure they protected themselves.

DNC list is a joke, been on it since it came out and still get calls constantly. someone at the FTC must be a disgruntled dish customer or else he owns stock in a competitor cause these clowns haven't done a damn thing to anybody since the list started so it must be personal.
Same here. I get calls on my cell phone as well....Now when I get a telemarketer call I mess with them to make them think I want what they are trying to pawn off. Then I give them the bad news..
Or if I don;t want to be bothered, I just treat them like ( fertilizer)

Just because your caller ID says they are in the US doesn't mean they are. All of them are spoofed. Lately just about all of my telemarketing calls are from my own area code... ;)
Yep..There are now these devices which can create fake numbers on the receiving phone's caller ID....
IMO this should be illegal punishable by either death or "bunga bunga"....

If I am on the DO NOT CALL LIST what makes these telemarketer's think I will talk to them or let alone do business with ANY telemarketer phone call? How ever I may mess with you and waste your time out of spite!
I believe the average American views telemarketers with a particular disdain that borders on hatred.
The people who are the actual callers are lowly paid people trying to scratch out a living. Not the charcters seen in the movie "Boiler Room"...It is the employers who should be taken to the Twon Square, stripped to their underwear, placed in stocks, flogged, tarred and feathered....Or forced walk around South Boston wearing a sandwich board that says "I hate Micks"..

It is all US based, as Dish and Directv prohibit retailers from using off shore call centers from places like India or Pakistan.

One thing to consider in telemarketing in general, there is no "Cell Phone" registry, or list to place calls to people who have cell phones. Unless the customer opted in on something, all the calls are generally placed to land line phones.

Since most of the younger generation has dropped their land line and opted to use cell phones only, you really can't get ahold of anyone under 40 years old.

The only people who still have their land lines are seniors, and unfortunately those are the people getting a majority of the calls these days.

When I was selling Dish, we where getting about 85% premium 5 star customers off of telemarketing due to the demographics. If you went back 5-7 years prior, we used to never get that type of quality customers.

The only issues we ran into was that that some of the customers would die, and we would get charged back, and we would run into the occasional concerned child who believes their parents can no longer make their own decisions, and wants to play super hero and reverse the entire transaction
As a child of elderly parents, I can attest that they have been very close to being bamboozled into a purchase that they thought was the best deal in town. I had to rescue them once from Bright House when they signed up for a cheap cable/phone rate that in 12 months quadrupled into something they could not afford. So I had to invoke some pretty fancy dancing to get them out of the deal. I got it done. Shame on Bright House for trying this BS tactic on old people. BTW, they are in Florida. So it it indeed a target rich environment for all kinds of scammers and sneaky salesman tactics.
In fact a week does not go buy when they DON'T
These mother effers should all be fed to the sharks in the Gulf of Mexico.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)