my cancellation experience

gdstout

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Tennessee
I got DirecTV installed earlier in the month. I called Dish that night and cancelled. The entire call was over 45 minutes. I got an email showing Dish had processed my request. Last week I got a box to send my equipment back. I also got an email telling me they had Fox News back. That wasn't why I left. It offered me all kinds of stuff. So much off my bill and a $700 gift card(I think it was a gift card). I got 3 emails today letting me know they have received my returned equipment. So far, the process has been painless. I am wondering if I will get a credit. I *think* I had just paid for a month of programming around the time I cancelled.

I heard rumors that the retention team that does the call backs is offering $700 GC's. Thanks for confirming.

35.00 off my bill every month for 12 months. $700 prepaid card, Free HD for life, Free Showtime, Start, Encore, and Blockbuster for 3 months.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes.
You should get a prorated credit.
It may take another bill cycle to process.

I cancelled my service in August and it took two cycles to get my credit. Like you I was on the phone for no more than five minutes with the retention department. I did have to tell them I did not care what they were offering, I was done with pay tv, so even though they were offering me $50 per month off the normal price for AT200 package, I wasn't interested. For the next 4 months I got offers nearly everyday in the mail and they call a few times, but with my service they need to leave a message and unless they are on the list it will not ring through, so I never talked to them on the phone and no emails. I was with them for 11 years.

I cancelled my service in August and it took two cycles to get my credit. Like you I was on the phone for no more than five minutes with the retention department. I did have to tell them I did not care what they were offering, I was done with pay tv, so even though they were offering me $50 per month off the normal price for AT200 package, I wasn't interested. For the next 4 months I got offers nearly everyday in the mail and they call a few times, but with my service they need to leave a message and unless they are on the list it will not ring through, so I never talked to them on the phone and no emails. I was with them for 11 years.

Wow.

Getting ready to leave in another week or so. Hope they don't pull that with us.

I had the same type of experience when I left DirecTV years ago, I canceled on a Friday afternoon and was shut off midnight of the same day. I then scheduled a Dish install for the next day, and that evening I get the call from retentions offering everything I was asking for (Genie and 2 clients), and way more to "come back". But after already having the Dish install done and then getting to use the Hopper it was too late.

You know if DISH or DIRECTV would offer some type of discount incentive like this the longer you stay with them , they wouldn't be losing so many long time subs. Can you imagine like $5.00 off per year you stay after 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, 20 years. I have 18 years I would love to see $15.00 off per month as long as I continue to stay with them. IF not the money off , then your additional receiver or dvr fees could be discounted or comped. I could see this retention tool keeping subs . "The longer you stay , the more you SAVE!"

It's not that I disagree, I think many of us see that as a great retention tool. The question is given the amount per subscriber DISH ends up with as profit, how much could they do that for everyone. Discounts during a dispute is a limited amount of time both in giving them and how long they last. Could they give continuous discounts for years? One way could be to not be so generous with new subscribers and rely more on the advertising of continuing discounts.

I mentioned cancelling a couple years ago (Dish), and they gave me $5 off for 12 months..but I wound up getting a 3rd joey just 2 months after that..so that ate up the $5 they gave me.

(BTW, Scott, do you read your PMs? I sent one 2 days ago that is time sensitive.)

I can tell you he definitely does. He must have missed it or has some reason.

It's mostly meant for staff/his discretion, regarding ****** I received an email saying if we wanted to refer people, the steps to do it, but I don't think publicly posting the info would be wise...As hundreds would likely respond and they only had a few spots left in the ******* 2 days ago. That's why it's time sensitive.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)