my cancellation experience

An ongoing incentive is what is needed for Dish, Directv or any other company out there to keep customers instead of them flip flopping back and forth so much. This flip flopping costs them lots of money. They may have done the math and figured that they would be better off not giving credits to those not asking for it as it might cost them more going that route. If they did something like AT&T does (and I can see them doing this when/if they acquire Directv) is giving customers a credit on their bill of $25 or so then they can use that credit for whatever they wish, an equipment upgrade, credit on their bill, etc. and increase the credit for bundling internet and phone. For those that get the credit instead of equipment upgrades it helps the satellite company save money by not having to pay for new equipment and retain the customer.

Reactions: TheKrell
I used to own all my sat receivers but finally did the numbers and since Dish would obsolete my owned receiver anyway, I decided to just pay the lease fee. It's all part of the package. /QUOTE]

I also purchased all my equipment a while back but quit since there was no price advantage to me and see that things were advancing enough to where I didn't want to pay for the stuff all the time. By the time I would be done with it, it would not be worth much of anything or anywhere close to what I paid for it. Dish charges enough for the service to where they should be providing the equipment for me.

I had also thought for a while that my 722 with sling adapter was doing good enough for me until my girlfriend got the Hopper then I liked it so much that I upgraded as well as it did not cost me anything. I also had issues with my sling adapter and needed to upgrade to HD and wanted more recording space among other things.

An ongoing incentive is what is needed for Dish, Directv or any other company out there to keep customers instead of them flip flopping back and forth so much. This flip flopping costs them lots of money. They may have done the math and figured that they would be better off not giving credits to those not asking for it as it might cost them more going that route. If they did something like AT&T does (and I can see them doing this when/if they acquire Directv) is giving customers a credit on their bill of $25 or so then they can use that credit for whatever they wish, an equipment upgrade, credit on their bill, etc. and increase the credit for bundling internet and phone. For those that get the credit instead of equipment upgrades it helps the satellite company save money by not having to pay for new equipment and retain the customer.

It is smarter just to give credits to people who complain, rather than the 80 percent who don't complain. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I've been a loyal Dish Customer since 1998 and all they ever send me is a coupon for $5 off on a PPV one about every other year. It goes in the trash. But, I did get a nice dividend on the Dish stock I owned a few years ago. Heck, I even walked up to Charlie Ergan at CES and thanked him. When Charlie left the helm, I sold the stock for some nice profits. What I made on the stock is paying for my Dish service. When JC took over he ended the dividend to stock holders which pissed me off so I sold the stock.

You guys get money from them for threatening to quit. We all do what we are capable of doing to get a break on our satellite bills which are out of whack too high. I wonder what a retention clerk would say if I told them I was quitting because Joe Clayton ended the dividend on the stock and my Dish bill was no longer covered.
"Clayton?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He OWES ME MONEY!!!!!"
or how about....." I am suing him because I believe I am his bastard child"...
All right. Calm down...It's a JOKE.

The cell phone companies figured it out. New contract every 2 years and a discount on a new phone.

Just recently Verizon started offering a $25 credit per month when your out of contract.

This Bullsh!t mentality that both Dish and Directv have that you get the promotion once and your a customer forever has got to end.

Even with cable, it's a big flip flop between the providers when the promotional rate or contract expires.

Another thing, they need to get their priorities straight. Some customers are offered nothing to stay, and others are given everything. Sad part is quiet often the loyal long term customers get nothing while the ones who don't deserve anything get all the secret discount offers.

The cell phone companies figured it out. New contract every 2 years and a discount on a new phone.

Just recently Verizon started offering a $25 credit per month when your out of contract.

This Bullsh!t mentality that both Dish and Directv have that you get the promotion once and your a customer forever has got to end.

Even with cable, it's a big flip flop between the providers when the promotional rate or contract expires.

Another thing, they need to get their priorities straight. Some customers are offered nothing to stay, and others are given everything. Sad part is quiet often the loyal long term customers get nothing while the ones who don't deserve anything get all the secret discount offers.
After 17 years ( Feb '97) they should be paying ME to keep their service..LOL....
I have never asked Dish for any kind of discount. Never saw the need. Although, I wanted to cancel HBO which is now an ungodly $19 per month, the CSR immediately offered 50% off for 6 months.
I will upon the expiration of that period attempt to cancel HBO again. I really don't need it.

When i had Comcast, I would call to complain about the cost after the promo period, and they would extend it another 6 months. I would call again when that ended, and get it again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I do the same now with SiriusXM.

I have been back with Dish for almost 4 years..I called to cancel as i want to go of streamin and ota.. i was offered $35 credit of my bill for 12mo, i declined and lady put me on hold trying to process the cancelation..comes back with and offer of $45 credit for 12mo.free HBO for 6mo. and a $400 prepaid cardofi was to accept a12 month commitment.. I did not call to see what i could get i really thought the first offer was fabulous.. my new monthly bill is of $27.42

I have been back with Dish for almost 4 years..I called to cancel as i want to go of streamin and ota.. i was offered $35 credit of my bill for 12mo, i declined and lady put me on hold trying to process the cancelation..comes back with and offer of $45 credit for 12mo.free HBO for 6mo. and a $400 prepaid cardofi was to accept a12 month commitment.. I did not call to see what i could get i really thought the first offer was fabulous.. my new monthly bill is of $27.42
Proves my point that they would rather pay credits off of an existing customer to keep him , rather than pay to acquire a new one. But the $400.00 prepaid card is something extra I wouldn't expect them to do. That is a great deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)