Dish Telling Installers HDMI is fixed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I had my new Dish HD DVR installed on 3/1 and the installers used the S Video and Componant connections. I had a new HDMI cable that I had bought and they said they did not need it.
Try both and compare. Most folks don't find any significant difference between the digital (HDMI) and analog (component) outputs, but you will probably notice some. In my case I find the digital a bit "sharper" and the analog a bit "warmer" with greater color depth. I could probably vary that with the many adjustments and the "color palette" in my Sony TV, but I never tried. I'd like to do an A/B comparison but the switching time in the TV is several seconds and thus too long for a meaningful comparison. Also if you have both connected you will have an immediate back-up if you do develop any issues with the HDMI connection...

OK, here's the deal: I bought my 622 back when they were $699 of the DishStore. Now, my TV doesn't even support HDMI, but I want to make sure the 622 will work if I ever upgrade to an HDMI HDTV. So here are my questions:

• If I bought my 622 from the DishStore, how do I have it exchanged?
  • If I want to save my recordings, can I wait for external hard drives to be supported before I make the switch? Even if I can get my recordings to an external hard drive, wouldn't that external hard drive be tied to my current 622? That would be horrible.

Thanks!

Just a hint, store bought HDMI cables are outrageously priced. You can get much cheaper cables (less than ten bucks) from places like monoprice.com and you wont be able to tell the difference from a 60 buck plus Monster Cable. It's digital so it either works or it dosn't. The so called quality cables are all hype and nothing else.

My 622 looks like poo over HDMI :)

Component looks much much better. It seems to be some sets don't do well with the HDMI output. Looks perfect off my DVD player.

Although I am interested in getting a fixed box. Shortly I'll be running an extra long HDMI to the HDTV in the bedroom and using the 622's simultaneous output.

Is Dish swapping these out?

I am coming on on my 1 year with Dish so I want to get it in before its a year old.

I doubt any receiver made before around 2/1/07 has the fixed connector. Those made before may work fine, but are much more prone to breaking than they should be. From what we've gathered from polling people have have been using the HDMI connector on 211s and 622s, the chances of you using it without a problem for a couple of years is low. But you may get lucky.

If you take precautions with it, as in setting it up so that the cable runs up from the receiver, exerting a slight upward force on the connector, then the odds are better that you will not have a problem. No guarantees though. If you run it so that cable hangs down off of the back, and you either occasionally move the cable or the receiver, then the odds are very high that you will flex the connector so that the internal pins will break.

On my set the HDMI connection is noticably sharper than component. Although I had to readjust several of the settings to get my best HDMI picture. If you optimize all of your color, tint, brightness, picture settings for component and then switch over to HDMI to compare, it might look poor.

I just had a 211 and a 622 installed. The 211 came with HDMI cables but the 622 did not. I had HDMI cables and used them for both. Both of the HDMI inputs work great.

Wait, then is or isn't the HDMI out carrying the Dolby Digital signal out? I thought there was some issue with that still? I would like to run it though my Integra receiver and eliminate some wires.

HDMI only carries left and right channel audio. Not Dolby Digital. Still need the optical cable for the 5.1

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

HDMI supports any TV or PC video format, including standard, enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable. It is independent of the various DTV standards such as ATSC, and DVB (-T,-S,-C), as these are encapsulations of the MPEG movie data streams, which are passed off to a decoder, and output as uncompressed video data on HDMI. HDMI encodes the video data into TMDS for transmission digitally over HDMI.

Devices are manufactured to adhere to various versions of the specification, where each version is given a number, such as 1.0 or 1.3. Each concurrent version of the specification uses the same cables, but increases the throughput and/or capabilities of what can be transmitted over the cable. For example, previously, the maximum pixel clock rate of the interface was 165MHz, sufficient for supporting 1080p at 60Hz or WUXGA (1920x1200), but HDMI 1.3 increased that to 340MHz, providing support beyond the highest resolution of computer monitors available today. See the Versions section for details.

HDMI also includes support for 8-channel uncompressed digital audio at 192kHz sample rate with 24 bits/sample as well as any compressed stream such as Dolby Digital, or DTS. HDMI supports up to 8 channels of one-bit audio, such as that used on Super Audio CDs at rates up to 4x that used by SuperAudio CD. With version 1.3, HDMI now also supports very high bitrate lossless compressed streams such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

I stand corrected as well. ;)