Dish - The Investor Viewpoint

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
Looks like Wall Street thinks Dish has some tough sledding ahead based on their analysis of subscriber growth.

Dish Network Dealt HDTV Setback as Satellite Falters

Dish Network Dealt HDTV Setback as Satellite Falters

By ROGER CHENG WSJ
March 18, 2008
In a race where high-definition television content is key, Dish Network Corp. is falling further behind.
The Englewood, Colo., satellite-TV provider suffered a setback after a newly launched satellite failed to reach its intended orbit. It is a blow for the company, whose success hinges on HDTV attracting customers and catching up to rival DirecTV Group Inc., which already offers HD in more markets.
Dish and Echostar Corp., which separated into two public companies at the beginning of the year, said yesterday that the satellite, which experienced an anomaly that left it in a lower orbit than planned, would result in fewer HD channels for Dish and potentially lower revenue to Echostar.
Echostar said it is awaiting further data on the launch anomaly to assess the potential effects on its plans for the satellite. A spokeswoman declined to comment on how the problem would specifically delay the deployment of HD channels.
"Having the most high definition has become a major source of competitive advantage for DirecTV, which has used its HD superiority to appeal to high end subscribers," said Sanford Bernstein analyst Craig Moffett in a research note. "Dish has struggled with a lower end positioning, and has suffered consequently higher [turnover]."
In the fourth quarter, Dish added 85,000 net new subscribers, or less than half of Wall Street's prediction. In comparison, DirecTV added 474,000 net new customers. Dish Chief Executive Charles Ergen cited the lack of HD local channels as a major contributor to the fourth-quarter weakness. He emphasized that the company would be in a better position once it gets more satellites launched.
DirecTV, of El Segundo, Calif., is seen as the primary winner from Dish's misfortune, as it continues to chug along with its HD content. The company jumped ahead last year with aggressive advertisements touting its 100 HD channels and is widely viewed as a leader in the area.
Telecom companies offering HD television service, such as AT&T Inc. and its U-Verse and Verizon Communications Inc. and its FiOS service, also will grab more subscribers, while cable providers such as Comcast Corp. will benefit, although they have similarly been slow to push their HD offerings.
It isn't a total loss for Dish and Echostar. The satellite still functions. Engineers will attempt to fire up its rockets to correct its orbit, but it will burn valuable fuel used to keep it in proper orbit and "substantially" reduce its service life, according to Securities and Exchange Commission filings.
In 4 p.m. Nasdaq Stock Market composite trading yesterday, shares of Dish Network fell $1.10, or 4%, to $26.64; shares of DirecTV fell 30 cents, or 1.2%, to $24.45, also on the Nasdaq.

Hmm Robert Cheng wasnt watching the chat today, or reading satelliteguys, dish is going ahead full steam on their HD plans!

I'm sorry.. I am all for Dish winning the war. I prefer Dish to anything else. But although the retailer chat was all smiles and happiness, This was a set-back.. I hope not for very long, but it was a setback. Having dealt with Dish for eons now, I got out of the retailer chat exactly what I expected to hear from it.. There is no way that they were going to stand up there and tell us anything more than things are great and this wasn't going to make one bit of difference in their plans.. If it wasn't going to matter then why were they putting it up in the first place.. It all matters. Yes they can reshuffle their plans a bit and still make do with what they have. But in the end it DID really matter. And it will continue to matter until they get AMC-14 into the right orbit if they can. If they can't then it is going to hurt even longer. Believe what you want, but Dish was counting on this launch. And without it, something is going to have to wait.

I'm sorry.. I am all for Dish winning the war. I prefer Dish to anything else. But although the retailer chat was all smiles and happiness, This was a set-back.. I hope not for very long, but it was a setback. Having dealt with Dish for eons now, I got out of the retailer chat exactly what I expected to hear from it.. There is no way that they were going to stand up there and tell us anything more than things are great and this wasn't going to make one bit of difference in their plans.. If it wasn't going to matter then why were they putting it up in the first place.. It all matters. Yes they can reshuffle their plans a bit and still make do with what they have. But in the end it DID really matter. And it will continue to matter until they get AMC-14 into the right orbit if they can. If they can't then it is going to hurt even longer. Believe what you want, but Dish was counting on this launch. And without it, something is going to have to wait.

Emphasis mine on your last statement, also dont forget AMC 14 isnt their only satellite launching this year, plus from what we have heard its going to be hopefully put up and running....but that is fine, you have your opinion, I have mine.

Hmmmm. The people who do this for a living, Rocket Scientists, say they are still working on it and think they can get the satellite in place, a little late, but with years of life left in it. More than enough time to put up yet another one. We as viewers lose absolutely nothing, except possibly a few weeks delay in some new programming.

Or I can believe the Chicken Littles on the board here who "think" it's too far and can't be done. They just "know." :rolleyes:

Really doesn't seem like Echostar/Dish has suffered too badly, especially if it enters service. And there's plenty of time to work things out.

Since the stock didn't drop 50%, it seems the market agrees with me.

Emphasis mine on your last statement, also dont forget AMC 14 isnt their only satellite launching this year, plus from what we have heard its going to be hopefully put up and running....but that is fine, you have your opinion, I have mine.

Note my statement did not say that Dish was going to fold up and go home. I just said that this hurt. And that is a very true statement.. For how long remains to be seen.. Hopefully they will get AMC-14 into the right spot in a few months and then all will be wonderful. More than anything my post was more about the chat and the fact that they were not going to go on the chat and talk about gloom and doom. I got what I expected.. Happiness and smiles and everythings ok..

When posting articles please DO NOT post the entire article and also include a link back to where the article came from.

We don't want to violate anyones copyright.

No particular person's viewpoint represents "the market's reaction" (aka Wall Street).

If that were true, then it would not take long for that person to control most of the world's wealth.

The whole history of the stock market is that it often goes in the opposite direction (whether as a whole, or in regards to a particular stock) from what most predictions...

No particular person's viewpoint represents "the market's reaction" (aka Wall Street).

If that were true, then it would not take long for that person to control most of the world's wealth.

The whole history of the stock market is that it often goes in the opposite direction (whether as a whole, or in regards to a particular stock) from what most predictions...

The Fed Chairman can do a pretty good job of this.:)

There are so many press releases concerning Dish network over the last 72 hours. Both good and the bad. Dish Network and Echostar can take advantage of the situation (which I think they are by saying 100 HD Channels & 100 HD locals commitment in 2008.) The stock could have a major set-back if they continue to have slow growth (no growth) and increasing churn rate. Dish has to deliver this year (not 2009). Whether it is Plan A or Plan B, stick with it. Dish learned that communication is so importsant especially during tough times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts