Dish to air Conventions in HDTV (Now ON THE AIR!)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Dish to air Conventions in HDTV

Just got this. :)

Political Conventions Available FREE in HDTV

DISH Network is carrying gavel-to-gavel coverage of both the Democratic and Republican conventions in HD on channel 9467 (110 Satellite).

The coverage will be in free access, available to subscribers who have a HD Receiver

Coverage is scheduled to go from 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM ET, daily.

- Democratic Convention – July 26 – July 29
- Republican Convention – August 30 – September 2

Can they downconvert the signal to SD for the majority of the subs who don't have HDTV but still want the coverage from another source?

so were basically gonna get the same thing on both HDNet and Dish, seems kinda silly to me...

GaryPen said:
I'm surprised NHK will be covering it gavel-to-gavel. Not complaining. Think it's great. Just surprised that the Japanese are that interested in it.

Considering the current state of "international affairs" between this country and the rest of the world, the rest of the world should be VERY interested in this election! ;)

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
Considering the current state of "international affairs" between this country and the rest of the world, the rest of the world should be VERY interested in this election! ;)

~Alan

So true,a lot of other countries really hate Bush but loved Clinton,go figure.

The convention coverage is just a freebie use of empty space. Since it looks like they are getting ready to carry the Olympics in HD, they can pick up the Democratic convention before and the Republican convention afterwards in the same space. Just means no new HD channel added in that space on a permanent basis until after the Republican convention.

mike123abc said:
The convention coverage is just a freebie use of empty space. Since it looks like they are getting ready to carry the Olympics in HD, they can pick up the Democratic convention before and the Republican convention afterwards in the same space. Just means no new HD channel added in that space on a permanent basis until after the Republican convention.

Channel 9467 is the HD PPV channel. I guess Dish isn't making any money on the PPVs so they will put something else on.

justdaved said:
Can they downconvert the signal to SD for the majority of the subs who don't have HDTV but still want the coverage from another source?
I think thats called CSPAN.

Now that I think about it. Didn't HDNet say that their Convention HD coverage would be free as a public service to any MSO? If so, then likely Dish will just make HDNet available to those without the HD Package.

GaryPen said:
The elections, certainly. The party conventions? Hmmm.

At least it looks like the American people are FINALLY interested in an election. So we got that goin' for us...which is nice.

Any man who can quote from Caddyshack can't be all bad.

GaryPen said:
The elections, certainly. The party conventions? Hmmm.

At least it looks like the American people are FINALLY interested in an election. So we got that goin' for us...which is nice.

Though they might not care about the party conventions (and I honestly don't understand why anyone would), I guess they figure that even the parties could help sway the "Average Joe-Six-Pack" voter... you know, the ones who are impressed by GWB's "book learnin'"... of course, my theory doesn't hold much clout since most people that could be called an "Average-Joe-Six-Pack" voter probably wouldn't have access to a HDTV... still, I commend them on trying (if that is their intended desire).

~Alan<~~~~~~~~~~~Who says "book-learnin'" is for geeks! ;)

GaryPen said:
So, has anybody watched it?

Can't think of any reason to watch it. If Bush wins the election things stay pretty much the same. If Kerry wins, Ditto. Anything the Dem's propose is DOA even if Kerry is elected.

I might watch a bit of the Republican convention if I can catch McCain speaking, other than that I could care less.

This has to be the most irrelevant presidential election I can remember.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts