DISH to Become National Facilities-based Wireless Carrier

Sprint has 14MHz of 800MHz spectrum? I only see 5 around here.

Wow, Charlie is 66 that’s pretty old to start a whole new company.

What makes dish network so much better then vz att or T-Mobile/sprint. All the companies above have pretty crappy customer service.

Who the hell wants to pay a billion for prepaid subs. Those are no where near the quality of post paid subs.

I think this was more of a deal to get access to towers for fast
deployment so dish does not fail to reach build out requirements or buy them some more time with fcc.

Legacy........

I can’t wait to see this unfold I really hope Charlie can pull it off.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Sprint has 14MHz of 800MHz spectrum? I only see 5 around here.

I’m pretty sure that 800mhz is what they got from buying Nextel. Back in the day when we had 5 players.

Att/bellsouth
Sprint
Vz/Alltel/cellular one
Voicesteram (T-Mobile)
Nextel

Reactions: joewhite57

What makes dish network so much better then vz att or T-Mobile/sprint. All the companies above have pretty crappy customer service.

Who the hell wants to pay a billion for prepaid subs. Those are no where near the quality of post paid subs.

deployment so dish does not fail to reach build out requirements or buy them some more time with fcc.

Legacy........

It looks like he is pulling it off and one thing is that Dish seems to love rattling the competition

Legacy........

Prepaid is where the customer growth is. Plus, that is a lot of customers to mine for metadata and market things to.

Reactions: NYDutch
I’ve posted where I think he’s going. And I think he’s WAY ahead of the competition in thinking things thru.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.
I have agreed with you entirely. Difference in the competition and Charlie, is Charlie runs the show on a company he personally started from the ground up. It’s not just a job, but a passion.
Compare that to Randall stephenson. John Legere didn’t start TMobile, but certainly has a passion. He might as well have started TMobile, as he is the only reason it not only survived, but thrived. He is a mini Charlie and it is AWESOME!!! If Legere wasn’t at the helm, I wouldn’t have switched. If Charlie wasn’t Charlie, I don’t think I would be as passionate about Dish.

It looks like he is pulling it off and one thing is that Dish seems to love rattling the competition
So does T-mobile. I think they have been rattling the competition in the cell phone world for the last 5 years. A lot of policies that they started are now copied by the competition.

Or he just wants to screw his kids

Legacy........

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

A motion to dismiss is probably on its way in each of the cases. They now appear groundless. Not that they had much merit, IMHO, to begin with, other than harassment.

Maybe, maybe not.

Thirteen state attorneys general, as well as the District of Columbia, have filed a multistate lawsuit to block the T-Mobile-Sprint deal on the grounds that it will lead to higher prices and less competition. Although the new agreement paves the way for Dish to replace Sprint as a fourth wireless carrier, it remains to be seen whether the states will continue to pursue their legal action.

[...]

It has not yet reached an agreement with New York or California, which are leading the lawsuit against the merger. In a statement released by New York Attorney General Letitia James the group of 13 states, as well as the District of Columbia, reinforced their opposition to the deal, citing Dish's previous broken promises and its reliance on using T-Mobile's network for "for the foreseeable future."

"The promises made by Dish and T-Mobile in this deal are the kinds of promises only robust competition can guarantee," said James in a statement. "We have serious concerns that cobbling together this new fourth mobile player, with the government picking winners and losers, will not address the merger's harm to consumers, workers, and innovation."

"A marketplace with fewer active competitors drives up costs, reduces consumer choice and thwarts innovation," said California Attorney General Xavier Becerra. "We intend to be prepared to go to trial to fight for a fair, competitive, and equitable marketplace for consumers nationwide."

T-Mobile-Sprint deal finally wins Justice Department approval

The key quote in the above is what does Becerra mean by "we intend to be prepared"? More concessions from T-Mobile? A sweeter deal for Dish?

Or will they play hardball and not make Charlie's day?

Maybe it really is 'just harassment'. Those AJ's are certainly good at that. But they also don't like losing.

Reactions: TheKrell
The penny dropped.

I figured Dish was going to use cell technology to provide requested data to cars. Maybe serve homes and fixed locations too.

But I suddenly realized- their target customer includes governments. Central traffic control computers are coming. I think we’ve seen that. But MUCH sooner, we will see ISA and other traffic data. ISA is Intelligent Speed Assistance. It is mandatory in the EU and UK beginning in 2022. No doubt it is heading here too. Basically, one version uses GPS to know your location and speed, and limits the engine speed to slow you down to the speed limit. Another version reads speed limit signs.

But the interesting application is where the speed limit is transmitted to vehicles and the system kicks in to limit speed. This gives great flexibility in road work areas AND WHERE THERE’S AN ACCIDENT AHEAD. Once in place, the system can be used to check trucks for cargo type, notices of where charging and refilling stations are at with available spaces for vehicles getting low, and a myriad of other things we haven’t thought of yet.

Charlie can start to pitch this to local governments, and build out where they buy it. Spread that way. Could be a brilliant plan.

Currently, the speed limiting feature can be overridden by pressing the accelerator.

Costs per vehicle? Almost nothing. Most vehicles now have cameras and GPS so the only cost is software, spread across, ultimately, millions of users.

I wonder if he has a pitch ready for the NHTSA and FMCSA?

Very, very interesting. So are you saying that you don't foresee DISH making fixed 5G home broadband (and TV) a major part of their game plan?

I predict that somehow one or more (or all) of the 4 largest cable companies (Comcast, Charter, Altice, Cox) will get in bed with DISH to gain access to their 5G network, perhaps providing cash to help them build out in exchange for equity in the company. The cable operators could either have an MNVO arrangement with DISH 5G or simply bundle the DISH-branded wireless service in with their own home broadband, doing away with their own Xfinity Mobile, Spectrum Mobile and/or Altice Mobile brands.

But one potential fly in that ointment would be that DISH might be a competitor against the cableco for home broadband. But not, perhaps, if DISH decides to devote their bandwidth to mobile handset plus next-gen use cases like IoT, cars, government, industrial, etc. I suppose DISH could still do limited fixed 5G home service in areas not already served by whichever cableco's they partner with.

Alot of the cable companies (comcast etc)had the chance to build their own last mile wireless network years ago...it was cheaper and more dependable to run coax at the time so they sold the bandwidth to att and verizon.... Charlie might have a hard time selling that to cable
Very, very interesting. So are you saying that you don't foresee DISH making fixed 5G home broadband (and TV) a major part of their game plan?

I predict that somehow one or more (or all) of the 4 largest cable companies (Comcast, Charter, Altice, Cox) will get in bed with DISH to gain access to their 5G network, perhaps providing cash to help them build out in exchange for equity in the company. The cable operators could either have an MNVO arrangement with DISH 5G or simply bundle the DISH-branded wireless service in with their own home broadband, doing away with their own Xfinity Mobile, Spectrum Mobile and/or Altice Mobile brands.

But one potential fly in that ointment would be that DISH might be a competitor against the cableco for home broadband. But not, perhaps, if DISH decides to devote their bandwidth to mobile handset plus next-gen use cases like IoT, cars, government, industrial, etc. I suppose DISH could still do limited fixed 5G home service in areas not already served by whichever cableco's they partner with.

I do believe Dish will sell to the home broadband market. I suspect the big bucks lie elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Reactions: Juan
Alot of the cable companies (comcast etc)had the chance to build their own last mile wireless network years ago...it was cheaper and more dependable to run coax at the time so they sold the bandwidth to att and verizon.... Charlie might have a hard time selling that to cable

I don't think the cable companies are so much interested in using 5G as a last-mile connection for home broadband (although Charter is experimenting with it a bit). But they DO want to have a mobile service that they can bundle in with their fiber/coax home broadband service. Right now, Comcast and Charter are doing that via an MVNO arrangement with Verizon that has so far been unprofitable for either cableco. And Altice is about to launch their own MNVO this summer in partnership with Sprint. (Wonder what's gonna happen with that if the T-Mo/Sprint merger goes through?) So I can see all three of those cableco's interested in a more profitable, cozy arrangement with DISH for mobile service if they can actually deliver a competitive 5G network.

Reactions: TheKrell
I remember long long long ago Comcast had a actual cellular company.. dont remember the name...I am thinking cellular one for some reason
I don't think the cable companies are so much interested in using 5G as a last-mile connection for home broadband (although Charter is experimenting with it a bit). But they DO want to have a mobile service that they can bundle in with their fiber/coax home broadband service. Right now, Comcast and Charter are doing that via an MVNO arrangement with Verizon that has so far been unprofitable for either cableco. And Altice is about to launch their own MNVO this summer in partnership with Sprint. (Wonder what's gonna happen with that if the T-Mo/Sprint merger goes through?) So I can see all three of those cableco's interested in a more profitable, cozy arrangement with DISH for mobile service if they can actually deliver a competitive 5G network.