DISH to Become National Facilities-based Wireless Carrier

Whatever will help get Verizon to drop some pricing around here would be a great thing. I don't plan on switching any time soon but being able to negotiate with Verizon more would be nice.
I'm paying $110ish/month for two lines..that is just nuts IMO.

I'm paying $110ish/month for two lines..that is just nuts IMO.

I agree, depending upon how fast/unlimited is your data plan. I am paying less than that for 4 lines with independent data plans that get throttled after 2GB. That could have been 5 lines for the same price, but I couldn't get my daughter to move her plan onto my family plan, and so it remains at 4. (I took advantage of the 2 free lines forever with activation BF sale a couple of years ago on T-Mobile.)

I really fail to see what the big deal is here.

The biggest thing I got from this was that Charlie got his 5G licenses extended another 4 years.

As far as the boost prepaid business, there is no value in the prepaid business....

1) They are a low priced cut rate provider

2) no customer is under a contract meaning they can leave at any time.

3) lower income customers tend to go the prepaid route as they can’t get Verizon or AT&T.

Charlie needed his licenses extended, and this came up as an offer he couldn’t refuse and he allowed sprint and T mobile to pawn off their garbage on him.

Dish will never be a competitor as we see AT&T, Verizon and sprint.

Reactions: Juan
I really fail to see what the big deal is here.

The biggest thing I got from this was that Charlie got his 5G licenses extended another 4 years.

As far as the boost prepaid business, there is no value in the prepaid business....

1) They are a low priced cut rate provider

2) no customer is under a contract meaning they can leave at any time.

3) lower income customers tend to go the prepaid route as they can’t get Verizon or AT&T.

Charlie needed his licenses extended, and this came up as an offer he couldn’t refuse and he allowed sprint and T mobile to pawn off their garbage on him.

Dish will never be a competitor as we see AT&T, Verizon and sprint.

Dish is getting Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and the Sprint prepaid MVNO operations including their retail outlets. And if you really think there's no money in prepaid cell service, look up Carlos Slim Helú and tell him that...

The ship has sailed...thats why tmobile got out
Dish is getting Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and the Sprint prepaid MVNO operations including their retail outlets. And if you really think there's no money in prepaid cell service, look up Carlos Slim Helú and tell him that...

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

T-Mobile is keeping their prepaid business in the deal. Only the Sprint prepaid services are being sold to Dish. And Carlos Slim's 30 million Tracfone Wireless prepaid subscribers keep him in lunch money quite nicely. Prepaid is alive and well...

T-Mobile

Are you serious? Prepaid is hot right now. If you don't need roaming or hotspot, there are quite a few choices in prepaid which will save you big bucks and lot's of long time postpaid customers are switching to it.

Reactions: ncted
Charlie is late to the party...just table scraps left
Are you serious? Prepaid is hot right now. If you don't need roaming or hotspot, there are quite a few choices in prepaid which will save you big bucks and lot's of long time postpaid customers are switching to it.

T-Mobile is keeping their prepaid business in the deal. Only the Sprint prepaid services are being sold to Dish. And Carlos Slim's 30 million Tracfone Wireless prepaid subscribers keep him in lunch money quite nicely. Prepaid is alive and well...

T-Mobile
And with increasing wireless rates and costs for newer devices (practically the ONLY technology that the price keeps going up that's used by the general public), more and more people with lower and fixed incomes are going the prepaid route and getting lightly older, but still robust devices on a fraction of the monthly cost of the big 3 carriers

I would have to agree with Claude . Dish is spending billions on the scraps. Plus they spent billions on existing spectrum and how many billions to build there on network.It sounds like they wanted so bad to prove that they were a cell service that the final outcome doesn’t matter. Sprint was number 4 and was barely making it. I think they should have stuck to there original plan of 5g . T mobile is laughing all the way to the bank .

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Is this a hint about what Dish will name their new wireless service? They registered the slingwireless.com domain a couple of years ago...

slingwirelesswhois.JPG

Is this a hint about what Dish will name their new wireless service? They registered the slingwireless.com domain a couple of years ago...

View attachment 139818

I don't know if he got this from you, but Luke over at CordCuttersNews.com ran a story this afternoon about the Sling Wireless brand name.

Dish's New Wireless 5G Phone Service Could Be Called Sling Wireless - Cord Cutters News

I could see the company standardizing on the Sling brand, going so far as to rename the satellite TV service to Sling too. But they'd only do that if they took a page from AT&T's book -- I predict that AT&T is going to take the Plus and Max packages that they've begun building out for DirecTV Now and finish them out (and also add a Select or Starter low-end bundle) and make that the unified channel bundle system for both the new AT&T TV streaming service as well as the legacy DirecTV satellite service. I could imagine DISH revising the channel bundles on Sling a bit -- including the major locals from ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, The CW, and PBS (whether as add-ons or integrated into the base packages) -- and then using those revised packages on the satellite TV system too, with the whole thing renamed to Sling. You could get Sling via streaming or via satellite. If you got it via streaming, it might be via Sling Wireless 5G Home service, or on your phone via Sling Wireless.

I would have to agree with Claude . Dish is spending billions on the scraps. Plus they spent billions on existing spectrum and how many billions to build there on network.It sounds like they wanted so bad to prove that they were a cell service that the final outcome doesn’t matter. Sprint was number 4 and was barely making it. I think they should have stuck to there original plan of 5g . T mobile is laughing all the way to the bank .

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Actually you said it better than I did.

It seems like sprint had to give up something, and they gave up their least valuable asset.

When Dish starts building their own towers and using some of the spectrum they spent billions to acquire, then I’ll believe it.

I can’t see boost becoming a major 4th cellular carrier. They have no corporate stores and simply a network of independent retailers.

And if he thinks he is going to have Dish Retailers sell Boost... let’s see how well AT&T is doing having their Directv retailers sell cell phones.

Satellite dealers want nothing to do with cellular telephones,

Only thing the retailers want to do with cellular is providing hot spots to provide internet to residential homes as alternative to satellite internet.

There are absolutely no requirements to be a boost retailer unlike Verizon or AT&T and they will sign up anyone to sell their product.

Just last week I had a rep from Boost mobile trying to sign my store up. This is the 3rd or 4th time they approached me. I turned them down because to be honest between Directv, Comcast and spectrum I really don’t have time to mess around with cell phones. I can sell AT&T cellular product but don’t want to get into that business either.

IMHO, I just don’t see Charlie launching a nationwide cellular service with Boost mobile being the backbone of the operation.

The service will need to be renamed and they need corporate stores, or retailers who operate an independent store that has a corporate look and feel.

All the boost mobile stores I know in my neck of the woods are in the inner city. They have a small lobby and bullet proof glass separating the front counter as most of these stores are ran by a single employee.

Like I said, build the towers and the network from the ground up and we shall see. But so far Dish has not invested in anything except for fake 5G test sites in an attempt to save their licenses from expiring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)