DISH to Become National Facilities-based Wireless Carrier

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Then why are the phone companies spending a large fortune on converting to 5g and obviously going to charge us more for something we do not want? I have turned off most apps and deleted those that I could on my cell phone.
We'll be very happy to get 5G data speeds where available. We use the Visible (Verizon) $25/mo unlimited talk, text, and data service just for the data with the SIM installed in a hotspot instead of a phone. Visible has added 5G access with no price increase, so our only cost for the faster service will be a one time 5G capable hotspot purchase. The Visible service and our $23.50/mo unlimited AT&T 4G/LTE data service are our only Internet providers for the nine Internet connected devices we use in our RV.

Reactions: charlesrshell
At the 200 Mbps Visble supplies, it beats anything we've seen with 4G/LTE on the road. All we really want, it buffer free video streaming when multiple devices are also using the service.

I'm on Verizon and I've never seen 200mbps on 5G. Not saying I doubt you, I just haven't seen it personally

Last edited:
...... I am trying to understand the target customer for 5G.
5G will be more important for business applications. Self drive cars will be improbable nationwide without it. Truck fleet control will need it. Airline and cruise ship internet will be better with it. 5G home internet with unlimited data will be needed to compete with a fully deployed Starlink. AI applications will need it. See this article for a good discussion : 5G Use Cases and Industry Applications.

I briefly subbed to Verizon's 5G UW service. While I saw amazing speeds in a few limited areas, I couldn't see the point in paying for it beyond one month. I'm an IT person and even I don't require 2 GBPS speeds on my phone. I see no point in it for right now.
Its was supposed to be a fios replacement for stationary home use but alas that does not seem to be happening

5G will ultimately be about stuffing more devices on the same spectrum and improving throughput for less than ideal signal areas somewhat. The UW band will have some limited applications of course, but putting antennas on every light pole in a major city is a huge effort for signals that won't penetrate anything IMHO. If you have to run fiber to all those poles, why not just run fiber to every address for high speed applications?

Here is some speculation for your entertainment:

If you have to run fiber to all those poles, why not just run fiber to every address for high speed applications?

Here is some speculation for your entertainment:
In a city? You do realize how many addresses are housed in a single building? The cost of running the strand of glass gets expensive. And that is presuming you've got glass strands at the front door. Running anything anywhere in a city is expensive, at best, when you want to put a hole in the ground! 5G provides a wireless option to feed to people using mostly existing infrastructure.

I got lucky with fiber. I have learned that the best place to live is in a large neighborhood near a lot of rich people. We got access to fiber very early because rich people get that type of infrastructure first and if you live in a large enough of a neighborhood and you are very close, they'll hook you up too because there are enough homes to justify the cost of a rollout.

Reactions: Jon J
5G provides a wireless option to feed to people using mostly existing infrastructure.
Except Ultra Wideband 5G doesn't actually enter the building, unless you put a DAS system in, which, if you are going to do that, just run fiber (or twisted pair ethernet for that matter). What existing infrastructure allows for the propagation of mmWave signals?

If you have to run fiber to all those poles, why not just run fiber to every address for high speed applications?
Because they want to keep it cellular. Don't think in terms of what it can do for you in your home. It's not about providing internet to buildings, it's about mobility. Already, delivery vehicles are connected via cellular. The day is coming when all business and commercial vehicles will be connected and can be easily tracked and more efficiently routed by the home office. That's not to mention utility meters of all kinds. The possibilities are endless for using cellular for mobile commerce.

Because they want to keep it cellular. Don't think in terms of what it can do for you in your home. It's not about providing internet to buildings, it's about mobility. Already, delivery vehicles are connected via cellular. The day is coming when all business and commercial vehicles will be connected and can be easily tracked and more efficiently routed by the home office. That's not to mention utility meters of all kinds. The possibilities are endless for using cellular for mobile commerce.
Sorry, I didn't quote Juan, but that is who I was replying to:
Its was supposed to be a fios replacement for stationary home use but alas that does not seem to be happening

Except Ultra Wideband 5G doesn't actually enter the building, unless you put a DAS system in, which, if you are going to do that, just run fiber (or twisted pair ethernet for that matter). What existing infrastructure allows for the propagation of mmWave signals?
I know..you need an antenna on your roof...they put the cell transmitter on a telephone pole in your neighborhood..was supposed to be self installed..but they needed a tech to place the antenna outside and run coax to router..they tried signal boosters...no good

Here is a nice link

Verizon 5G Home Internet FAQs | Ultra-fast home Internet

Reviews

I know..you need an antenna on your roof...they put the cell transmitter on a telephone pole in your neighborhood..was supposed to be self installed..but they needed a tech to place the antenna outside and run coax to router..they tried signal boosters...no good

Here is a nice link

Verizon 5G Home Internet FAQs | Ultra-fast home Internet

Reviews

Wonder if DISH is going to provide same 5G setup to our homes like Verizon!