Dish to begin DRM on PPV May 6th

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I made a pass looking for the "limited recording" flag on dish's PPV listings, and it's about 50/50.

I hope they can resist more, but do understand the problem they (E*) have.

Blame "Big Hollywood" for the DRM mess in general, and all the restrictions on what and how you can get a hold of HD content.

I made a pass looking for the "limited recording" flag on dish's PPV listings, and it's about 50/50.

I hope they can resist more, but do understand the problem they (E*) have.

Blame "Big Hollywood" for the DRM mess in general, and all the restrictions on what and how you can get a hold of HD content.
Correct but hollywood needs to be reminded that they are nothing, I repeat nothing without paying viewers. In fact every single link in the entertainment chain hangs on the consumer being willing to pay to see their product. Until that happens, they do nothing but incur expensives.

The sad thing about this is that most people are oblivious and prefer to stay that way until something bits them in the butt.

As they start seeing more and more of their HD DVR events become inaccessible maybe we'll see more complaints but until then I doubt Dish or anyone else is going to take this seriously.

It seems that NBC 'accidentally' turned on the no-copy flag for their OTA broadcasts and prevented recording by users of Vista.
I'm telling you this is going to get much worse.

Handfuls of Windows Vista Media Center users found themselves blocked from making recordings of their favorite TV shows this week when a broadcast flag triggered the software's built-in copy protection measures. The flag affected users trying to record prime-time NBC shows on Monday evening, using both over-the-air broadcasts and cable. Although the problem is being "looked into" by both NBC and Microsoft, the incident serves as another reminder that DRM gives content providers full control, even if by accident.
Vista MCE users began reporting problems on Monday evening, starting with posts on the popular DVR-enthusiast forum on The Green Button. While trying to record shows like American Gladiator and Medium, Vista users were presented with an error that read, "Recording cancelled. [TV show] cannot be recorded. Restrictions set by the broadcaster and/or originator of the content prohibit recording of this program." The Green Button user justinjas posted a screenshot of the error on his blog.
NBC-Vista copy-protection snafu reminds us why DRM stinks
broadcastflag.jpg

I thought that copy protection had been outlawed for broadcasts. If that's the case, the capability should've been removed from the equipment to make sure it never came back.

I thought that copy protection had been outlawed for broadcasts. If that's the case, the capability should've been removed from the equipment to make sure it never came back.

It is. It's definently illegal to put a a so-called "broadcast flag" on OTA broadcasts. Several companies are still trying to get Congress to allow it, but as of now, it's still very much illegal.

It seems that NBC 'accidentally' turned on the no-copy flag for their OTA broadcasts and prevented recording by users of Vista.
I'm telling you this is going to get much worse.

That image is one of the scariest things I've ever seen. I know they want to do it, I just didn't know they were this capable. Do they have this capability within all of our hardware, dish network or otherwise? They want their control back, where do I sign up for the Rebellion?

Electronic Frontier Foundation | Defending Freedom in the Digital World

The EFF is gaining a reputation for standing up for the little guy against big Content and big Networks. They are a lot left of me, but God bless those glorious legal crusaders.

The EFF is gaining a reputation for standing up for the little guy against big Content and big Networks. They are a lot left of me, but God bless those glorious legal crusaders.

They're awesome on about 90% of the issues. I'm appalled at what they're doing to Dr. Savage. I think they're on the wrong side on that one, but I don't think that one issue should negate all the other fantastic work they do. Especially since in most cases, they're the only ones speaking up for us.

Especially since in most cases, they're the only ones speaking up for us.

Yep, I remember watching a panel discussion show on HDNET a year or two ago where an EFF rep went after the DRM boys with claws out. Great stuff. At the time I didn't see her point, I do now.

They're awesome on about 90% of the issues. I'm appalled at what they're doing to Dr. Savage. I think they're on the wrong side on that one

The problem there is they are right about the Copyright issue. Savage picked they wrong issue to go after CAIR with.

While I have no love of CAIR, it appears that Fair Use would cover the clips they used. That was my thoughts when I first heard Savage mention the suit. I didn't know EFF had got involved, but all encroachments on fair use need to be vigoursly fought, just like EFFs fight against the DMCA and supports of the deCSS code.

That image is one of the scariest things I've ever seen. I know they want to do it, I just didn't know they were this capable. Do they have this capability within all of our hardware, dish network or otherwise? They want their control back, where do I sign up for the Rebellion?
Now we just need the light bulb to blink on for a few million more viewers.

The problem there is they are right about the Copyright issue. Savage picked they wrong issue to go after CAIR with.

While I have no love of CAIR, it appears that Fair Use would cover the clips they used. That was my thoughts when I first heard Savage mention the suit. I didn't know EFF had got involved, but all encroachments on fair use need to be vigoursly fought, just like EFFs fight against the DMCA and supports of the deCSS code.

I agree. The copyright issue, Dr Savage is wrong. The problem is, and I wonder if they have to do this to present their case, but they're bashing him in their briefs regarding his views. Misrepresesening them as well. But what was he going to do? CAIR was just trying to shut him down for his opinions like they did to smaller hosts back east. This is just a bad situation all around.

Last edited:
The problem is, and I wonder if they have to do this to present their case, but they're bashing him in their briefs regarding his views. Misrepresesening them as well.

I'll look through their briefs then. Normally they stick to just the copyright issues and don't comment on either party.
I just glanced at the PRs the other days to see what they said about the copyright issue.

I'll look through their briefs then. Normally they stick to just the copyright issues and don't comment on either party.
I just glanced at the PRs the other days to see what they said about the copyright issue.

Yeah. Nobody is right 100% of the time, I still am a massive EFF supporter. This issue though really gets my goat.

I hope everyone saw this article at CNET

Microsoft confirms Windows adheres to broadcast flag

The software company was responding to questions about why some users of Windows Vista Media Center were prevented from recording NBC Universal TV shows, American Gladiator and Medium on Monday night.

The "rules," in which the spokeswoman is apparently referring to are those proposed by the FCC, which would require software and hardware makers to honor "broadcast flags." The flags are code that broadcasters can insert into the data stream of TV shows that typically require restrictions on the recording of the shows. What she didn't say is that the "rules" aren't rules at all.

The courts struck down the FCC's proposal in 2005, saying the regulator lacked the authority to tell electronics makers how to interpret the signals they receive. Since then, Microsoft and other manufacturers have retained the option of whether to honor the flags.

News that the world's largest software maker has voluntarily agreed to help broadcasters control the recording of their shows is bound to outrage enthusiasts of digital video recorders, as it represents the biggest threat to the practice known as time shifting since the FCC's attempt to require flag adherence.

"Microsoft has put the requirements of broadcasters above what consumers want," said Danny O'Brien, a staffer at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, an advocacy group for Internet users that is looking into Monday's block. "They've imposed restrictions way beyond what the law requires. Customers need to know who Microsoft is listening to and how that affects their equipment. Right now, the only way customers know what Microsoft has agreed to is when the technology they've bought suddenly stops working. Microsoft needs to come clean and tell its customers what deals it has made."

Full Article Here

MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

By Matthew Lasar | Published: June 08, 2008 - 08:01PM CT
At the request of theatrical film makers, the Federal Communications Commission on Friday quietly launched a proceeding on whether to let video program distributors remotely block consumers from recording recently released movies on their DVRs. The technology that does this is called Selectable Output Control (SOC), but the FCC restricts its use. The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) wants a waiver on that restriction in the case of high-definition movies broadcast prior to their release as DVDs.
"The Petitioners' theatrical movies are too valuable in this early distribution window to risk their exposure to unauthorized copying," MPAA wrote to the FCC last month. "Distribution over insecure outputs would facilitate the illegal copying and redistribution of this high value content, causing untold damage to the DVD and other 'downstream' markets." Less than a month after the request, the FCC has given MPAA a public comment period on the question that will last through July 7.
Complete article Text

FCC Notice

Can't they already restrict copying with DRM?

If so, then what is the purpose of prevention?

If DRM on copying can be bypassed, can't DRM on prevention be bypassed?

These guys are pissing into the wind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts