Dish to begin DRM on PPV May 6th

Here's a copy of the email I just sent to Dish, not that it will matter much, but we should all make sure Dish is aware of what people are thinking . . .

"Just an FYI . . . I have bought my last Pay Per View movie due to this new policy and the new 24 hour restriction. These movies offer no value to me. Too expensive, too restrictive in viewing, and they're not even really new releases. There are too many better choices among new release movies that aren't even available yet on Dish pay per view. So, PPV has been blocked on all my receivers and I have deleted the favorite list I was using to see only those channels.

Also, I have already discussed with my wife, and if HBO, Cinemax, or any of the other premium channels start doing this we will drop them as well. I don't care if we have no premium service at all. Dish Network and those premium channels will lose those dollars. I'll probably go ahead and buy a blue ray player and start buying DVD's again.

Good luck with this dilemna. I suspect many hold my view. I've always really liked Dish Network and your service. You've done a few things over the years that I have not liked, but this one has the potential to be really bad, when I compare this to that $130 bill I get every month. I can assure you, when you decrease the value of your service to me, my bill will go down, one way or another."
From the info in the first post of this thread:
"DISH Network has been asked to comply with industry standards which require us to make some changes to our Pay-Per-View (PPV) services. These standards apply to ALL TV-service providers and are not unique to DISH Network."

95% of the movies are garbage anyway. Hollywood is turning out crap to appeal to the lowest common denominator. And now they want to limit the viewing of the garbage. Greedy idiots. I will never buy a PPV again.

Anyone who thinks this is going to remain limited to PPV is naive. You have to look at the bigger picture here folks. This is about greed and power and it will go as far as it's allowed to. I'm betting money it won't be long before we see it on all the premium movie channels and probably eventually on prime time network tv.

Bingo!

I have a suspiscioun that DRM will be coming to sporting events this Summer.
You can record all the football games you want, but they will have a limited shelf life.

I believe most DVD recorders have to abide by flags that could prevent recording. Nevertheless, if you are able to continue recording on DVD, you are limited to NTSC (480i), no DD5.1 audio, no closed captioning, etc. For all this, why not just rent from BB/Netflix and dupe the original DVD (in 480p, DD5.1, all features intact, ...)? To hell with HD PPV...:p

Exactly. There are many ways to record these shows and keep them forever UNLESS they start flagging them. A dvd recorder will do. So does my Archos PocketDish which acts as an EHD but, unlike the storage drives, stands and plays alone or can be connected and played through a tv. I also have a Neuros OSD that records on flash media and jump drives. As you say, however, these are good only for standard definition, none support HD.

What's would be the point? Who is being hurt by people recording sporting events?
Because they want you to see all those commercials that they (probably soon) won't let you skip as close to the time they were originally broadcast as possible??? Advertisers probably pay less for "delayed purchases" so they gotta get you to go buy their junk RIGHT NOW! :confused:

What's would be the point? Who is being hurt by people recording sporting events?

No one.

Who is being hurt if people record PPV movies and watch them twice during a week, or a month?
Digital Rights: Give Peace a Chance
Why is it that Hollywood marriages never seem to last? Just last winter, it looked as if gadget makers and content providers had finally settled on a plan to prevent the Napsterization of digital-video broadcasts. Now comes word that the seven major Hollywood studios and the National Football League are already complaining that one of their partners has broken its vows. They're trying to block digital-recording pioneer TiVo (TIVO ) from rolling out a new technology that allows subscribers to use the Internet to legally transfer their recorded shows to nine other devices, including PCs and laptops.
Social Media: Digital rights & copyright

I am making good on my promise. The last PPV I ordered, "I Am Legend" will be the last one I ever order. I am writing an email to Dish to let them know of my decision. I understand they are being pressured by the studios to do this, but frankly I'm surprised Charlie rolled over so easy on this one, given how hard he fights other things that are bad for his customers. I record PPVs and sometimes don't get to them for a week or more, depending on how much I have going on. I usually want to get the letterboxed version or the HD version. Both of which are only shown for a limited window, so I order them and get to them when I can. If I like the movie, I go out and buy the DVD. Dish or any other provider who does this will no be getting another penny out of me for PPV. And if premium channels start this nonsense, I will drop them. Permenantly. The only voice I have is my dollars, and I will speak loudly with those. I order a lot of PPV, but not anymore. I will now start patronizing my local video store, which has a side benefit of helping the local economy. I may even go with netflix. But I have ordered my last PPV.

We had plenty of warning that this was coming and the most people either didn't believe it or were apparently ok with it.

Now before you apologists jump in and defend Dish by saying it's industry wide, keep in mind that if even a couple of the major providers (Dish being one of them) had flat out said "NO" or even tried to fight it and rally consumers, we might have been able to do something (like with the original broadcast flag).

It's about time people stood up to the blood-sucking production companies and pushed congress for some real "Fair Use" legislation.

If we don't and no resistance goes forth, I can guaranfuckingtee you it won't be limited to PPV for very long and you'll eventually be paying somebody something every time you walk past a movie.

Geesh this pisses me off!

Here! Here!

This is great news! What do you think this means, 6-10 more HD nationals as soon as the movie industry shoots itself in the foot?

I look forward to the day it becomes a damn hassle to watch a movie in any format so I can start reading more. Just don't put a 24 hr time limit when I check a book out at the library.

Yeah. Reading is starting to look much more appealing. :D

will this effect being able to record the ppv movies on to dvd recorders?

No. There's no way they can do that, unless they infect it with Craprovision. But the PPV providers have to pay dearly for that to be included. So as a result there have only been a few shows on a handful of premium channels in the last couple of decades that have included that.

It is coming. When they starting enforcing HDCP, you will need to have a HDMI connection for the handshake.

HBO is going to be requiring it, and if it detects component or non-HDCP compliant device, it will drop the resolution down to 480p. :(

I have talked to the EFF about this issue, and they said they have their lawyers looking into it. Perhaps a few lawsuits will make HBO think twice.

The studios must not think that it will cause any issues. They have this in place for every other provider, Dish is just the last major provider to start it. It is quite possible it balances out with a net increase from those that never order PPV again with those that have to order a movie multiple times.

You will still be able to.

The 24 hour period does NOT start until you start watching the movie.

So? Many of us have small children who interrupt our viewing. Then we have to go to work the next day, then maybe have to deal with something that night and we go to finish the movie two days later, and it's GONE! Nope. I refuse to tolerate this garbage. Insetad of paying $6.00 for a sabotoged PPV that deletes itself after 24 hrs, I'll go and buy the DVD for $15 or go give my $6.00 to the local video store and help stimulate the local economy.

From the info in the first post of this thread:
"DISH Network has been asked to comply with industry standards which require us to make some changes to our Pay-Per-View (PPV) services. These standards apply to ALL TV-service providers and are not unique to DISH Network."

I assume your point is that this isn't Dish's fault and so why am I taking it out on them? The powers that are driving this beyond Dish get their money from me through Dish Network. They will get less money from me when I stop buying PPV movies and when I cancel premium channels. Dish will get less too. It goes back to my original point. As the value of what I receive from Dish declines, so will the amount of money I pay. I really don't care who's fault it is, but I do think it was important to make that point very clear to Dish Network.

Anyone who thinks this is going to remain limited to PPV is naive. You have to look at the bigger picture here folks. This is about greed and power and it will go as far as it's allowed to. I'm betting money it won't be long before we see it on all the premium movie channels and probably eventually on prime time network tv.

It could happen on premiums, however the copyright act prohibits infecting anything other than PPV and premiums with "DRM". The law could always be changed, depending on how much the lobbyists for the movie industries pay the lawmakers.

Yeah,. Charlie is so responsible for this happening that he was able to make Direct have to do it too! :rolleyes:

You should up your reading comprehension. He's responsible for allowing this to happen on HIS SYSTEM. He has no control over the other providers, but he could have raised a stink like he does so many other times with things like out of control price increases some channels demand.

And yet everytime Chuck tries to "rally" consumers to fight for lower prices on his stations (yes, he's trying to save money, but a price increase is just an inconvenience to consumers as a price hike follows, this is pretty much the same thing) everyone criticizes.

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS! Do you want Charlie to think for you? Or do you want him to ignore everything, and deal with it just by jacking up the prices? Pick one, you can't have both.

I agree. I've supported him when he fought with providers for better rates, and even put up with channels being temporarily turned off knowing he was trying to keep us from having cable-esqe price increases. I wish he would have fought this too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)