Dish to begin DRM on PPV May 6th

From the info in the first post of this thread:
"DISH Network has been asked to comply with industry standards which require us to make some changes to our Pay-Per-View (PPV) services. These standards apply to ALL TV-service providers and are not unique to DISH Network."

Yeah? They were also "asked" by court tv and Viacom to jack up the prices. They said cheerfully told them to suck it, and Charlie got his way. He doesn't have to do this, he could have fought it. I'm disappointed he didn't.

Yeah? They were also "asked" by court tv and Viacom to jack up the prices. They said cheerfully told them to suck it, and Charlie got his way. He doesn't have to do this, he could have fought it. I'm disappointed he didn't.
Unless you are privy to every phone, correspondence, conference call or meeting, you don't know anything to be commenting about.

Unless you are privy to every phone, correspondence, conference call or meeting, you don't know anything to be commenting about.

Cop out. We all know what the deal was with that. Viacom wanted unreasonable price increases. D* and cable rolled over, Dish stood it's ground. We had to do without some Viacom channels for a few weeks, but we didn't end up with a price increase. They could have doe something like that here, and didn't.

We pick up our flicks from the local library. For free. No cost. We usually get to keep them between 2-4 weeks depending on the release. So what if we have to wait. I waited until it came out. I waited until it hit DVD. What's a few more weeks for free? Not a heck of a lot and well worth it in these time where movies are mediocre at best.

Jack up PPV rates.
Limit their availability.
DRM them out the arse.
Paint emm purple with pink polka dots.

I don't care. I watch emm for free form the local library.

Cop out. We all know what the deal was with that. Viacom wanted unreasonable price increases. D* and cable rolled over, Dish stood it's ground. We had to do without some Viacom channels for a few weeks, but we didn't end up with a price increase. They could have doe something like that here, and didn't.
Fine, leave, you did not really read. Go to D. Oh, I'm at D and DRM still applies. Duh?

I've written CEO an email and told them (essentially) that due to the upcoming DRM implementation, I've purchased my last PPV movie and that should they implement DRM on any of the premium movie packages, I'll cancel them as well.

As has been so well put here in a previouse post - I will speak with my wallet and if Dish wants to continue getting $130+ a month from me, they need to take a stand against the Hollywood studio greed machine...otherwise, each movie package that they implement DRM on will in-turn be dropped from my subscription.

They have the ability to fight this and if they don't, they'll just continue to lose my money. It's as simple as that.

I'm voting with my wallet and will go to netflix for movies instead of ppv now.

Fine, leave, you did not really read. Go to D. Oh, I'm at D and DRM still applies. Duh?

YOU obviously didn't read. Go back and look at my posts. I NEVER said anything about going to D*. That was a DIFFERENT poster. I said I would no longer order PPV. I used to order often, but I will now patronize my local video store for movies. Get your posts straight.

Got a question, Wasn't HDCP part of the new DRM for HD?

Means those using Component are double hurt?

Or Am I remembering wrong?

Last edited:
From the info in the first post of this thread:
"DISH Network has been asked to comply with industry standards which require us to make some changes to our Pay-Per-View (PPV) services. These standards apply to ALL TV-service providers and are not unique to DISH Network."
That's right, a-s-k-e-d. One has to wonder what stipend Chuck received for not blowing a very loud whistle to the folks for the past year. You know the kind of noise he makes when they're doing other outrageous things like imposing a satellite tax or restricting his ability to sell out of market distants to anyone he pleases or whatever stands to cost him money. Must be he doesn't figure this is going to hurt him much. Hmmmm

This has been being set in place for a while now and although not a secret (some of us did whine rather loud about it ), there still wasn't a lot of media talk about the ramifications. Then bingo 3 days before it's going to be implemented Scott posts Dish's notice to the folks and we're on our way to a good sized thread - (for a weekend).

Here's a copy of the email I just sent to Dish, not that it will matter much, but we should all make sure Dish is aware of what people are thinking . . .

"Just an FYI . . . I have bought my last Pay Per View movie due to this new policy and the new 24 hour restriction. These movies offer no value to me. Too expensive, too restrictive in viewing, and they're not even really new releases. There are too many better choices among new release movies that aren't even available yet on Dish pay per view. So, PPV has been blocked on all my receivers and I have deleted the favorite list I was using to see only those channels.

Also, I have already discussed with my wife, and if HBO, Cinemax, or any of the other premium channels start doing this we will drop them as well. I don't care if we have no premium service at all. Dish Network and those premium channels will lose those dollars. I'll probably go ahead and buy a blue ray player and start buying DVD's again.

Good luck with this dilemna. I suspect many hold my view. I've always really liked Dish Network and your service. You've done a few things over the years that I have not liked, but this one has the potential to be really bad, when I compare this to that $130 bill I get every month. I can assure you, when you decrease the value of your service to me, my bill will go down, one way or another."

What email address did you send that to?

No question for me - Netflix, not the f^$%#^ PPV and DRM.

EDIT: Just did check system tables - PPV channels does not marked yet, only HBO/MAX so far.
So Cinemax is marked with DRM now? Dagnabbit, I guess I need to demand refund of my penny. :)

the DRM does not apply to sports, special events, or adult programming. your sports, concerts, fights, and dirty movies are safe. thought you all would like to hear that.

That's right, a-s-k-e-d. One has to wonder what stipend Chuck received for not blowing a very loud whistle to the folks for the past year. You know the kind of noise he makes when they're doing other outrageous things like imposing a satellite tax or restricting his ability to sell out of market distants to anyone he pleases or whatever stands to cost him money. Must be he doesn't figure this is going to hurt him much. Hmmmm.

It seems that I am the only one who ever looks at these issues from the standpoint of someone doing business.

Suppose "Lifetime" Channel asks Dish Network for a large increase, larger than they are charging cable. Charlie always resists those increases, when they are not fair or not reasonable. So, they say "Fine, we will just not renew Lifetime" and immediately Lifetime loses 12 million potential viewers, and have to reduce what they charge advertisers. They are losing money. So, Dish Network has some leverage.

Now suppose the studio that makes the movie "National Treasure - Book of Secrets" imposes DRM restrictions, and Charlie then did what some in this thread propose - not carry those movies at all. The result would simply be that people would rent the movie elsewhere. All that happens is that Dish Network would lose their share.

If Dish Network drops a channel you like (or doesn't add it), you have to go through a lot of work to get it elsewhere. You'd have to have DirecTV or Cable installed - more commitments, bad installs, stupid CSRs, new equipment that works differently or poorly. It's a major change - and the new provider may not have other channels that Dish still carries.

But, if Dish Network PPV doesn't have the movie you want to see, in 10 minutes you're at Blockbuster, or in 1 minute, you are clicking on "add" in your Netflix account.

So, Dish Network has no leverage with regards to PPV rentals.

If you think that Dish did not complain about it, then why is Dish the last to comply with it ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)