Dish to begin DRM on PPV May 6th

I can't believe people pay their prices as it is, I haven't ordered a PPV in years. Blockbuster video rent by mail...just take a watched video to the store...free gas in wife's company car. Much cheaper.

Every PPV I've ever purchased, I've kept on my DVR for 12-18 months before deleting it. I like re-watching them about a year later.

Not having that option will result in my never purchasing a PPV again. At least not one with DRM enabled.

Are the PPVs w/DRM going to be clearly labeled? I sure don't want to purchase and record one and then find out later that I can't watch it again. If that's the case, I won't buy any of them.

I was talking a friend about this tonight, and in some ways I am surprised they have let us archive and store PPV movies up to this point; considering that it is "pay PER VIEW." Still, I think it shoud be available for at least a week, or even a month. The 24 hours thing really irks me. There are many times when I have set a PPV to record at a time when it is convenient, knowing I will not get to watch it for a few days. Hell, even a DVD rental from Hollywood Video is good for 5 days.

Probably won't ever PPV again. :(

Well, if they would release the PPV the same day as they hit the store, in HD and from all the studio's I wouldn't mind.

Charles Ergen is responsible for this. And before anyone defends him saying it's all because of the studios, refer to what I wrote the other day in a thread about EHD storage issues but the same thing applies here.
I am sure tired of hearing this excuse. Charlie has a responsibility here. He is always talking about fighting to bring value to his customers. Well value is not just measured in price, but in ...value. Value like telling us during his chats that it's not him it's the studios. Value like encouraging his customers to call the studios and complain about the DRM. Value like taking a stand and telling the studios his customers don't want DRM and Dish won't carry their PPV and premium channels if DRM is attached. And by the way his DVR customers want to be able to make an archive copy of something that they can playback later without having to circumvent US Federal Law to do so. Anything but just caving on the issue without a word.

It IS Charlie, if he does nothing, he's an accomplice.
Charles Ergen, you are hereby notified that I will never again pay money for any "pay per view" event on your service again, as long as DRM is in place.

It is official....Charlie is dumber than a rock. Between this crap, no hd (or even widescreen) on-demand and no free on-demand, I am afraid I will have to start looking at Cable again.

Recording PPV with a 24 hour time limit is worthless to me. Will just rent from the Blockbuster up the street, is cheaper anyway and with no late fees can keep movies anywhere from one to two weeks. He will blame this on the movie companies, but this is just a scam so that people will end up renting a movie over again because they missed the ending. A dishnetwork scam that is. I cannot count how many times I have been watching a movie and something come up and you have to stop. Sometimes it might be days before I get back to it. Also, we have a family of five counting me and my wife and I travel a lot so all this means is that if one person rents a movie to watch, likely we will not all get to watch it before the time runs out.

I will stop my rant now....was going to rent a movie tonight, think I will go get it at blockbuster, Chuck can get someone elses money, I will give mine to blockbuster.

They better not or I will be very unhappy. That would force me to change my entire setup.

It is coming. When they starting enforcing HDCP, you will need to have a HDMI connection for the handshake.

HBO is going to be requiring it, and if it detects component or non-HDCP compliant device, it will drop the resolution down to 480p. :(

I was talking a friend about this tonight, and in some ways I am surprised they have let us archive and store PPV movies up to this point; considering that it is "pay PER VIEW." Still, I think it shoud be available for at least a week, or even a month. The 24 hours thing really irks me. There are many times when I have set a PPV to record at a time when it is convenient, knowing I will not get to watch it for a few days. Hell, even a DVD rental from Hollywood Video is good for 5 days.

Probably won't ever PPV again. :(

You can still record it, Rocky, it's just that once you start watching it, you have 24 hours from the time you start watching it to finish it before it's unavailable to watch (without paying again).

And consequently, I'm not touching ppv again. Dish can do whatever the hell they want with their ppv now. I'm not buying... :mad:

You can still record it, Rocky, it's just that once you start watching it, you have 24 hours from the time you start watching it to finish it before it's unavailable to watch (without paying again).

And consequently, I'm not touching ppv again. Dish can do whatever the hell they want with their ppv now. I'm not buying... :mad:

Ok, I get it. But even that is unacceptable. Many times I have started something and finished it days later.

I agree, Charlie can take Dish's PPV and shove it. :mad:

well I was thinking about ordering a ppv at one time but now that there i an official word about this, forget it

We had plenty of warning that this was coming and the most people either didn't believe it or were apparently ok with it.

Now before you apologists jump in and defend Dish by saying it's industry wide, keep in mind that if even a couple of the major providers (Dish being one of them) had flat out said "NO" or even tried to fight it and rally consumers, we might have been able to do something (like with the original broadcast flag).

It's about time people stood up to the blood-sucking production companies and pushed congress for some real "Fair Use" legislation.

If we don't and no resistance goes forth, I can guaranfuckingtee you it won't be limited to PPV for very long and you'll eventually be paying somebody something every time you walk past a movie.

Geesh this pisses me off!

+1

It is coming. When they starting enforcing HDCP, you will need to have a HDMI connection for the handshake.

HBO is going to be requiring it, and if it detects component or non-HDCP compliant device, it will drop the resolution down to 480p. :(

My TV only has 1 DVI input, so a couple years ago, I bought a switchbox to share that 1 input. I bought an HDMI->DVI cable a few months back and it works fine with my 622 through the switchbox. However, will it work for the HDCP handshake, or do I have to buy a new HDTV too?

DRM = Hitler , whats next a warning jpeg after the 24 hours is up :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Hitler&DRM.JPG
    Hitler&DRM.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 134

If that's the case, then satelliteguys will have to revisit it's position in regards to hacking satellite boxes (No, i'm not talking about hacking cards to and not paying anything, i'm talking about hacking boxes to transmist unencrypted purchased movies). Looks like the dark arts (i.e. the underground hackers and sat crackers) may have to be called on to handle "the man". This is getting out of control. :what

Ok, I get it. But even that is unacceptable. Many times I have started something and finished it days later.

I agree, Charlie can take Dish's PPV and shove it. :mad:

I agree completely, and yes, I've DVR'd movies and then watched them days or weeks later, when I have more time.

DRM on ppv makes that pointless and I won't drop a penny on ppv anymore. Agreed, then can shove it. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)