Dish to buy Moviepass?

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I heard a rumor (cant find anything to substantiate it) that Dish Network is considering buying Movie Pass's owner Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. in a bid to buy the company. I could see Charlie doing something like this make it a Blockbuster type of deal. While the rumor is speculation from a few people on twitter, it really got me thinking why not? Dish has the relationships with the movie companies already with PPV agreements, why not extend it out to theater ticketing and bundle it in with your TV or Sling Service.

All in one entertainment from Silver Screen to your TV.

another deal that probably wouldn't fair well and drive up our rates.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Maybe Dish could bundle this with the Movies For Purchase VOD feature that Dish recently introduced, so you would automatically get ownership of any movie you see in a theater, as soon as it is available to purchase On Demand.

Reactions: goaliebob99
Can't remember the last time I went to see a movie. So many turds being produced these days and the ticket prices just climb higher and higher.
I've hated going to movies since the invention of smartphones. If you don't care about the movie stay home, and while you're at it "Get off my lawn you damn kids"! :D:devilish

Maybe Dish could bundle this with the Movies For Purchase VOD feature that Dish recently introduced, so you would automatically get ownership of any movie you see in a theater, as soon as it is available to purchase On Demand.

I've never understood "owning" VOD movies, either. They're in the cloud, right? So without internet access you can't watch them?

I have a pretty large blu-ray collection that will be around longer than Dish Network will be :D

The Blockbuster deal didn't turn out to well. IF DISH buys Movie Pass it will most likely end up the same way.

vil-oui.gif

Come to think of it, right after Dish bought Blockbuster, the Dish Platinum package was re-named Blockbuster Movie Pass. (It was then quickly re-named Blockbuster @ Home.) Coincidence?
That’s about all they got from that deal. Naming rights to use the Blockbuster name. They closed down the physical stores and sold off the dvds. They didn’t even keep the name for their pay per view movies. I never really understood why Charlie bought a dying company like Blockbuster unless he just wanted a tax write off.

That’s about all they got from that deal. Naming rights to use the Blockbuster name. They closed down the physical stores and sold off the dvds. They didn’t even keep the name for their pay per view movies. I never really understood why Charlie bought a dying company like Blockbuster unless he just wanted a tax write off.

I believe it’s been posted here that he came out ahead. He has a way of seeing how to make a buck that others miss.

The receiver accesses the purchased VOD movies from the internet each time. The movies are also available through Dish Anywhere. So, if you want to download them to a device to be able to watch them without an internet connection later, perhaps you can do it from Dish Anywhere.

But if Dish Network ceases to exist, or you cease being a subscriber, you would no longer have access to your “owned” VOD content right? So in a sense you only really own it if you continue to pay Dish.

Reactions: TheKrell
But if Dish Network ceases to exist, or you cease being a subscriber, you would no longer have access to your “owned” VOD content right? So in a sense you only really own it if you continue to pay Dish.
You will continue to have access to the purchased content through Dish Anywhere, even without a Dish subscription. I do not know how they would continue to provide access if Dish ceases to exist, but I am sure they would put some plan in place. Perhaps Dish would sell the rights for providing that content to some other company that does still exist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts