Dish to desktop computer

TomA

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Can the Dish box be connected to a desktop computer so it can be seen on the computer monitor? What equipment would be needed to do this. I have a VIP 222 box a computer with a HDMI input plus a tv tuner in my new PC.

If the Dish box has an RF output and the computer has an analog tuner, it can certainly be connected. This is only about the third thread in as many days on the subject.

If the Dish box has an RF output and the computer has an analog tuner, it can certainly be connected. This is only about the third thread in as many days on the subject.

From the sound of his post, I don't think it's really worth that much work just to get SD from the HD receiver

There are a few ways of doing it. Probably the most popular is to use the Hauppauge HD-PVR along with Windows 7 Media Center. The component HD output from the Dish receiver goes to the HD-PVR, which connects to the computer with a USB port.

Installation of this is not for the faint of heart, though. I've been messing around with this for a while, and there are kinks to be worked out. The end result, though, is quite remarkable.

Michael

There are a few ways of doing it. Probably the most popular is to use the Hauppauge HD-PVR along with Windows 7 Media Center. The component HD output from the Dish receiver goes to the HD-PVR, which connects to the computer with a USB port.

Installation of this is not for the faint of heart, though. I've been messing around with this for a while, and there are kinks to be worked out. The end result, though, is quite remarkable.

Michael

So it could become costly for time and parts especially if you don't already have windows 7

Hauppauge works with anything Windows XP up.

Another solution is the R5000 mod for owned Dish ViP Receivers from nextcomwireless.

Works with only 211/411 and 622/722 - k versions are not supported nor is the 922.

It appears this company is working in an affordable ATSC modulator - http://www.nextcomwireless.com/R5000/atsc.htm .

It appears this company is working in an affordable ATSC modulator - ATSC Modulator Project .

First, they say "relatively" affordable.

Second, they say it will only work with an MPEG2 stream from a computer. Um, in what universe is that helpful nowadays? If I've already got a file on a computer, I can stream it to any number of REALLY inexpensive media players, or even to TVs with built-in media players.

What we really need is a cheap ATSC modulator that will work with a component and optical input, or better yet, with an HDCP-broken HDMI input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts