Dish to DIRECTV but small view of the sky

Status
Please reply by conversation.
DishPointer is always a little off for me too but i just use it for a rough site survey. For the the nitty-gritty, I use SatelliteFinder.

Here are some out in the boonies things that will work but are not EZ.

IF you can identify individual limbs that are blocking LOS you can clear them with 12ga buckshot. Get a box and blast away. If unfamiliar with shotguns or have neighbors within about a half mile...skip this one.

IF you have access to a good tree guy or are one AND have three tall correctly sited and close together conifers (pine etc.) you can top all three........yoke them together with cable and mount the dish Up...yes, way up there!

You can also top some trees and construct a tower......think several hundred bucks per 10 foot elevation. They fit together. You dump concrete into the first section and guy wire the top...than do the dish installation....yes, way up there.

Not EZ or cheap....but if you need your daily commercial information with amusing little programs...go for it.

Needs a funny face....:hippie:

Joe

Last edited:
When I had my original droid, the Dish Pointer App was always dead on the money.. But ever since I went to my Droid X2 the App has been off by a little bit so it hasn't been trustworthy. I heard for the people that put it out that my phone was ""ONE" of the phones that had a problem. They say it is a phone issue and not an app issue. Something about the internal compass on the phone not being right.. Who Knows. I just know I miss the app that used to be perfect..

Great advice. I appreciate the detailed instructions. Thank you, for the offer, vegassatellite. <br><br>

I fear I care a lot less about TV than many in the forums as the idea of building something to help me find the spot(s) where I can get satellite reception is a lot more effort than I am willing to expend. I do not mind paying an installer who does this all the time, has experience, and has such tools and equipment to come out and hook me up but, for me, personally, the effort to build a shooting bench far exceeds any TV joy I would get from being able to switch to Directv.

EJ

Yes but he mentioned it was real unsteady. I agree with it being accurate & use it all the time, also I've compared it to a suunto many times & the app has been spot on. I have noticed the movement from time to time(android), being real still/steady helps a lot. Also he could just start cutting trees until the unsteadiness showed a clear view regardless.

Maybe I'm holding it wrong :). Occasionally I get the compass warning and do the figure eight until the warning clears. What I mean by unsteady is I hold the phone with the back pointing at the ground, slowly lift the phone as close to purely on its vertical axis as I can until the camera is aimed at the sky, and then watch as the satellite arc and dots move around on the screen. Once the red arc and dots are stable I repeat. No matter how many times I repeat the red dots representing the satellites are in a different spot each time I raise the camera and wait. Perhaps it is user error...ej

Since Gingerbread my DishPointer has been off too. Other compass apps seem OK. I just use DP now for a site survey to find generally where to look.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR23 to Slimline 3 SWM

D* Newbie w/questions on setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)