DISH to offer Locals in all 210 DMA's

I am guessing that this bill will help fill in the SD network holes, but not the HD network holes correct? For example, in my Market, I have Fox and CBS SD, but no Fox and CBS HD. I have no ABC at all. The only channel I get in both SD and HD is NBC. I live in the Laredo Market.

“We are proud to announce that every American will soon have access to their local channels from DISH Network,” said Charlie Ergen,

I'm surprised they didn't try and say that they we would have them in HD...because that is a LIE.
Two and half years and 450 posts later, we still do not have our locals in HD. Pathetic Dish, just pathetic.

It would be nice if they could offer adjacent markets to get us HD until they get HD in all markets. For instance, I'm in Binghamton which will get SD only, but I'm just a few miles from the Scranton DMA which is HD, and the local cable company gives me Scranton HD channels.

Hold up, are you sure you can actually receive the Scranton locals, our is Dish just telling you that you should be able to? Many of us IN the Scranton DMA do not get our locals in HD, so you should double check your signal strengths to make sure you can actually pick them up before you switch. More info.

Charlie really revolutionized the industry by providing locals.

Wish Dan Collins was still around so I could laugh at him, Dan though LIL was a impossible waste.

I remember well the debate on the old forum regarding locals. I can honestly say I was one who saw the wisdom in providing locals on satellite as soon as it was being discussed. Some of us said the future of Satellite TV depended on it. There were many though who said it was a waste of time, no one cared anymore about local/network programming.....

Hold up, are you sure you can actually receive the Scranton locals, our is Dish just telling you that you should be able to? Many of us IN the Scranton DMA do not get our locals in HD, so you should double check your signal strengths to make sure you can actually pick them up before you switch. More info.

As far as I can tell, I should be able to. I'm located about 20 miles east of Binghamton and the problems all seem to be in the western part of the Scranton DMA. I can't recall now what spot Scranton is on but I believe I checked it a few months ago and was getting a good signal.

I would have problems getting Syracuse though that is the official FCC Significantly Viewed DMA here.

I remember well the debate on the old forum regarding locals. I can honestly say I was one who saw the wisdom in providing locals on satellite as soon as it was being discussed. Some of us said the future of Satellite TV depended on it. There were many though who said it was a waste of time, no one cared anymore about local/network programming.....

I remembered about nine years back when Dish started to carry my locals, as I was in the process of cancelling basic cable service for locals, that the cable company advised me after closing my account that I would not have any local channels; I advise them that Dish is now carrying my locals, then the lady stated that’s illegal, that Dish would have to get approval from the local county commissioners! I just laugh and hung up. :D

I wonder if this bill means Dish will provide locals that are in the DMA but not in the area. For example, Seattle DMA includes Bellingham, which is about 100 miles north. KVOS is in Bellingham, and hence in the Seattle DMA, but it is not offered by Dish.

I'll download the law and try to read it, but if somebody has any info on this aspect, that would be great.

I wonder if this bill means Dish will provide locals that are in the DMA but not in the area. For example, Seattle DMA includes Bellingham, which is about 100 miles north. KVOS is in Bellingham, and hence in the Seattle DMA, but it is not offered by Dish.

the rule for that which was in place when it was SHVERA (the previous law) stated ANY full power*** station in the DMA can ask for must carry. The issue is if Dish/Direct cannot get a good enough signal they do not have to carry it. If the station is too far to be reached OTA then they have to find other means.

So as long as KVOS can get a good enough signal to the POP (point of presence) where Dish gathers the signals Dish has to carry them (as long as they have a agreement)

We have the same thing here in MN. We have 3 different PBS stations in the market
KTCA which is for Mpls/St Paul
KAWE/KAWB which is Bemidji/Brainerd PBS and is in the northern part of the market (150-200 miles away yet still the Minneapolis DMA)
Pioneer PBS which is in the West Central Park of MN...about 150 miles away

All can claim must carry and both companies carry KTCA and KAWE. KAWE actually had a fund raiser to get enough money for a fibre line from Bemidji to Minneapolis to be carried. In turn they probably have the ability to have 10x more eyeballs see it on satellite than cable/OTA since Minneapolis can not get KAWE on cable or OTA

edit: the *** after Full power means when stations were analog the FCC classified it as full powered. Now with digital there is no power "limit" to be considered full powered. Low powered cant be more than 15kw watts

OK, that makes excellent sense. I didn't know about the requirement about point of presence. With all the hills I'm not surprised that Dish can't get a decent signal from KVOS in Seattle. Traditionally KVOS has mostly served the Vancouver BC area. A year or two ago, they tried to move their transmitter south, about midway between Vancouver BC and Seattle. As far as I can tell, the FCC told them no. Had they been able to move the transmitter, it would have given them both over the air as well as satellite broadcast in Seattle.

Locals in U.S. Virgin Islands?

I'm in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands & we've been lumped in with Puerto Rico with regards to Dish's satellite offerings, however we're not eligible to receive the PR locals package and there is no locals package specifically for us.:(

Will this change on/after June 3rd? Will we be eligible to receive PR's locals package or a custom locals package specifically for the VI?

OK, that makes excellent sense. I didn't know about the requirement about point of presence. With all the hills I'm not surprised that Dish can't get a decent signal from KVOS in Seattle.
checking the Directv site they dont carry it either

Traditionally KVOS has mostly served the Vancouver BC area. A year or two ago, they tried to move their transmitter south, about midway between Vancouver BC and Seattle. As far as I can tell, the FCC told them no. Had they been able to move the transmitter, it would have given them both over the air as well as satellite broadcast in Seattle.

yeah it looks like their digital tower is same spot as analog per the FCC maps
(page 30 of document)

Attachments

• Seattle-Tacoma_WA.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 203
Great move on d...'s part only one problem they assigned the HD channels to 129 which is so low in the west here in Fl you don't have a chance in H... of getting it unless you live on the west coast of the state or cut down a bevy of trees...Great move DN...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)