This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dish to start upgrading HD customers to MPEG4

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
THe following was just posted to the Dish Network retailer website.

Sweet! Let's get those Mpeg2HD channels converted over!!

I could have sworn that we had a thread on this yesterday but Ic anb't find it.

Thanks Scott. Do you have any idea what model number receivers would need to be upgraded? Is this a hardware replacement program?

Lucky for me I just ordered HD on the 19th and getting it installed this saturday! So what type of Dish and receiver would I be getting this saturday Scott?

It would not affect you. this would affect older HD reeivers and DVRs not something that they currently sell.

No they no longer supply MPEG2 boxes for new customers. Only MPEG4 are going out now for new HD customers.

How would I be getting MPEG 4 if Im installing Saturday. Would they just install in a MPEG 2 setup and then a couple hours later it would be MPEG 4?
Some people have older receivers and are not able to display the mpeg4 channels. you'll be getting an mpeg4 receiver that can display mpeg4 and mpeg2 channels. E*'s goal is to eventually not even have mpeg2 channels.

How would I be getting MPEG 4 if Im installing Saturday. Would they just install in a MPEG 2 setup and then a couple hours later it would be MPEG 4?

(be nice, be helpful, breathe deeply)

All the new receivers have been MPEG-4 capable for several years.

This only affects people with very old receivers.

$1M question...when do they expect to complete this transition and switch over the mpeg2HD channels?

I am assuming that when the conversion is complete, then adding HD and VOD will be the only primary concern for the remainder of the year?

Glad I waited to upgrade my 522. Before, it'd be $50 to upgrade it to a 622 or 722. Now, maybe it'll be free (or at least a little cheaper).

Probably not. This only affects existing MPEG2-HD customers with 6000, 811, 921, and 942 receivers.

Brad