Dish Treatment

danielsurfs

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
:mad:
I spent thousands of dollars buying my 921 receivers when they first came out - six of them in all and I believe at the time, they were $1,300 each and I waited forever to get them.
The hard drives failed one by one and so I decided to get new 922's but someone advised holding off for the NEW Vip622 Mpeg4 receivers.
On February 6th. I paid Dish $150 online for the current months bill. I then telephoned and ordered ONE $299 deal for the 622 receiver. The CSR advised that it would be shipped in 7-10 days. An install date (for a Dish 1000) was scheduled for today, February 26th (Sunday!) and the installer just called saying he would be late. He confirmed that he was going to install a Dish 500 (I already have three of those and two Dish 300). I told him I needed the Dish 1000 and he said he didn't have any and I would need to call Dish CSR which I did. I asked the installer if he had the Vip622 receiver with him and he said "No, they are shipped from Dish"
The Dish CSR said the installer was wrong he was told to install a Dish 1000 and they would be happy to provide me with another install date - this one was for March 21, 2006 (a month from now!). I asked about the new receiver and was told that they couldn't provide one to me as I didn't have enough money in my account. Hum...
February 5th paid you $150 online for a bill that amounted to $132. (you owe me money).
February 5th called and paid you $299 for the receiver and you took the money saying it would be shipped in 7-10 days. It never was.
So in one day I paid them $449 (January 5th.)
My next bill would be due March 6th. 2006 for $132
They deducted March 6th. 2006 bill from my credit when it is not due yet and left $177 in my account as a Misc credit.
I hit the roof and called in the supervisor - they are almost as retarded as the CSR's - the supervisor told me that the Vip622 is so popular and duh, we don't know if or when we will ship on to you BUT we do want more money from you so we can gave you another 'tentative' install date. Hey lady, enough is enough! You are screwing me! I am not on any autopay method - I paid you $449 in one day and no payment is due to you until NEXT month and you are telling me I owe YOU money. I am not a fool, I know the game Dish play and I wasn't having it.
Here I am, paying them $449 and I have no receiver - they don't even have ANY receivers and they don't know IF or WHEN they MAY have the receivers. They did say, they are shipping them out as fast as they can make them - BS!
Now they want to give me a 'tentative' date of March 21st 2006 and that, Sir is subject to change. I told them 'go forth and multiply' cancel the order for the receiver, credit me back $299 I paid you for it. Well, we can't do that because your bill has been paid from the $299 so we can leave you with a $177 credit or we would be happy to refund that back to your credit card (hint it is NOT a credit card it is a DEBIT card). Not acceptable UNDO ALL you have done and put me back to how I was on February 5th. I paid my bill you are owed nothing. I paid you $299 for a receiver - I want that money back NOW! My bill is NOT due until March 6th so let's get it done. Finally they did.
I told them they were a bunch of retards... they have no right to be selling things they do not have. They have no right to be taking money off customers when they KNOW they do NOT have the product AT ALL. They have no right to be deducting funds from my prepaid Dish account until the due date(s).
In closing I told them that I am cancelling the receiver as I have no confidence in their ability to provide one in a timely manner and without more BS and/or lies that I have encountered. Besides, if their 'tentative' install date is March 21, 2006 (due to THEIR total incompetence!) (I have been paid and waiting since February 6th. so it IS their incompetence!) WHY would I pay $299 seven days before I can get it for $99 (duh!) The deal I heard is $299 now or $299 - $200 rebate on April 1, 2006 so why should I bother paying $299 for the sake of seven days.
Incidently, I did get an automated Dish Network call yesterday confirming my install for today.
They are a SAD bunch at Dish and they really need to get their act together and start treating customers better and STOP the BS stop the lies. I have been with Dish since they first started. I bought ALL of my equipment (6 921 receivers) I paid for all the dishes. I paid for all the coaxial and all the switches (my last ones were 2 for $200 each). So yes, I am totally disgusted.
By the way, one CSR did tell me a few weeks ago "We are working on a software update for the 921 which will change it from Mpeg2 to Mpeg4) I called him an IDIOT and told him to check with Tech Support because he was not talking from his mouth.
I think it is time for DirectTV to contact me with a deal that I just cannot refuse.
I have seen all these promos and ads for new Dish customers and new DirectTV customers and I have so say, old customers such as myself are being screwed and it is the new customers who get the best deals while we wait and wait.
Enough is enough get that business knocked into shape... educate your CSR's with knowledge and truth and STOP advertising equipment you do NOT have. You should always have plenty of stock to meet expectations or demand. Adding new channels (which we all pay for!) and then telling a customer "Well you will need to but another new reeiver if you want to receive them" is NOT a good way of doing business! Then when you do manage to sucker them in, you take their money, tell them you will ship a product and then you find out they do NOT even have the product.
How do you all feel about how YOU are being treated by this company? I know I cannot be the only one!

Please Note:
A copy of this post has been emailed to Dish Network together with my name and address for their perusal. I am not afraid to speak the truth and stand up for what it right and mke known what is wrong!

Last edited:
I have bought all the equipment myself. Nothing free from them at all.
I prefer their channel line-up for HD.
All I want is what is fair and honest for all.
All of this happened about an hour ago - I don't think you have given me enough time to get another satellite provider. I have seen the DirecTV deals but I want HDPVR in all six rooms - so if DirectTV only offer me one then I have to pay another $5,000 for more equipment.
Dish need to do what they say and not lie customers and have adequate stock of any and all receivers before they start adding channels that can only be seen by the new Mpeg4 receivers. Yes, we ALL pay for those channels and we ALL havea right to seethem, but you cannot see them unless you get their NEW receiver which they do not have.
Add up all the money I have spent on these six 921 paperweights - plus five DISH satellite dishes and all the work involved. I have invested a lot of money in Dish and all I expect is that they have an adequate stock level on hand. I don't mind buying new equipment but they MUST have that equipment available. they cannot be allowed to fund themselves on production by taking other peoples money on the premise that they have the product and then mess them around for month after month. It appears that we are advance funding the production costs as it is evident that they do not have the product that they willingly (and gleefully) take the money for.
In short, I will be looking for a DirecTV deal with six HD-PVR units.

danielsurfs said:
Would you still be with them if they treated you like that?

Yes I dropped D* in January for much less.

Also noticed you have posted in another forum as well. What is yourgoal??:devil:

I posted in another forum because I have been an avid reader of BOTH forum for a long time now. Both IMHO are leaders in the satellite field for a wealth of knowledge and information. I know there are people that only read one of the forums and so I posted in both. The more people who see it, the better, surely. I am speaking the truth and telling current and future customers just what to expect from dish Network.
My goal? Just to expose them for the liars they are.
After I posted I called Dish and asked if I was a new customer what would I get as "The Dea;" I told them I would need six HD-DVRs. I was toldthat I would get a FREE install to run all six receivers (I doubted that but that is what they said), I know I had to buy two switches and each one of those was $200 a pop. Anyway, they said a free install for all six receivers. I would get a 622 for $299 and the others for about $650 each. They asked if they could 'check the address' for current service. I gave them THIS address and they said "Yes, service at that address has already been disconnected!"
Strange and why would they lie? I have lived here eight years. I have always had Dish at this address and for many years previous at my old address. Yet, tey are telling me service has already been disconnected at this address and I would need a new, full install.
I have looked at DirectTV but from wat I saw they have very, very little in the way of HD programming to offer? Dish has a lot more from what I saw.
I hate what Dish has become and I read on one of the boards something like this... if you call three different CSR's you'll get five different answers. They are extremely poorly trained or knowledgeable about what they do.
I would think that having had zero deals and freebies from Dish and always paying the bills... they would be more accomodating and truthful in what they do. If business practices such as these continue it won't be too long before they find themselves in trouble.

Danielsurfs :welcome to posting on this forum.
I think you make valid points and your concerns are real. However.....
one thing to consider is there is a difference between lying and misinforming. The CSR's like most employee's on a support desk provide the best information they are able to. If they are not trained or make a mistake in providing the information then it is debatable if that is their fault.
Indeed i would say misinformation or lies, if you prefer, abound. for example, on this forum it is possible to find misinformation, indeed i've provided it myself :-(, but the "good" news is someone else will correct the information here, the CSR may realize after the call they misinformed you but im unsure if they can call you back to correct themsleves.
We were always taught, when i worked on support, to say you dont know and check or offer to call back, they need to do this more.

gbjbany said:
Danielsurfs :welcome to posting on this forum.
I think you make valid points and your concerns are real. However.....
one thing to consider is there is a difference between lying and misinforming. The CSR's like most employee's on a support desk provide the best information they are able to. If they are not trained or make a mistake in providing the information then it is debatable if that is their fault.
Indeed i would say misinformation or lies, if you prefer, abound. for example, on this forum it is possible to find misinformation, indeed i've provided it myself :-(, but the "good" news is someone else will correct the information here, the CSR may realize after the call they misinformed you but im unsure if they can call you back to correct themsleves.
We were always taught, when i worked on support, to say you dont know and check or offer to call back, they need to do this more.

Thank you for your post and the warm welcome!
Sadly after I posted I called Dish pretending to be a new customer. I asked them what deal I could get. I was told I would get a free install for all six receivers. One receiver would be $299 and the remaining five would cost me $650 each. The CSR then asked if he could check the address I was going to install at. I gave him MY home address (the same as the one I posted!) The CSR told me that service had already been disconnected at that address and a full installation would be needed. Now, WHY would that CSR misinform (or lie?) about service being shut off at this address. It doesn't make any sense.
I really think it is time for Dish to be made fully aware that their business practices leave a LOT to be desired and just how many people are sick of it. I read on one of the boards that when Apple has a news/press conference announcing a new product... chances are you'll see people rushing out the door because Apple already have the product in the stores. Dish add new channels to the package I pay a LOT of money for nd yet I cannot see them. Then they tell me I need to get their new receiver. they take my money, telling me to wait 7-10 days. Three weeks later they tell me to wait another 30 days and even then no promises! Then they tell me they want MORE money because we took what money you gave us and applied it the the March 6th statement. So, you only have $177 credit left and we need a total of $299. Strange way of keeping customers.

He certainly has a point, Dish Network is rock bottom to old customers. Like him, I got into it with Dish about them sending me additional receivers, they never did, plus the charged my account for 2 out of 6 receivers they said I hadn't returned, but UPS tracking said differently. The others were mine. I went to cable for a while, but it sucks. So, now I am coming back as a new customer thanks to some nice person, I get a 622, (2) 211;s for $299 + $49 + $49, and bought me 3 other receivers. They said they would only supply up to 4 rooms, and the 622 counted as two. They really need to work on keeping there customers that have been with them for a long time, many who like me pay them $130-$150 a month.

sprintcarcrazy said:
He certainly has a point, Dish Network is rock bottom to old customers. Like him, I got into it with Dish about them sending me additional receivers, they never did, plus the charged my account for 2 out of 6 receivers they said I hadn't returned, but UPS tracking said differently. The others were mine. I went to cable for a while, but it sucks. So, now I am coming back as a new customer thanks to some nice person, I get a 622, (2) 211;s for $299 + $49 + $49, and bought me 3 other receivers. They said they would only supply up to 4 rooms, and the 622 counted as two. They really need to work on keeping there customers that have been with them for a long time, many who like me pay them $130-$150 a month.

Thank you sprintcarcrazy - it's obvious you have had your share of grief with their misinformation and business practices. Seems like you got a good deal. Today when they told me their free install would support six receivers I had a good idea it was BS as the switches are $200 each and each one supports a mximum of four receivers. So, them giving away two sounded a little beyond the truth. I hope they treat you better this time around. They should run it like AOL where they will do anything and everything to keep you as a customer... they don't care anymore and it really shows.
Thank's again.

I received this response on another forum. It will show you that you could also get burned by Dish Network.

I just read your detailed message regarding the VIP622 you ordered and the poor way Dish handled your payments for monthly service and also for leasing of the new 622. It made me decide to look at my online account with Dish.

Each month my Dish bill is paid by autopay. On February 14 I ordered a VIP622 and $299.99 was taken from my credit card. I was given an install date of April 1! 45 days in the future but I did not complain. My online Dish account has shown a balance of ($299.99)+ for the VIP622. Today when I look at my statement I see that Dish has taken 117.00 from that positive balance for a bill that is not due yet! It is normally taken by autopay on the 12th of the month (March 12 would be the appropriate date).

So now I may be in the same situation as you; Dish took money given them for purchase of a VIP622 to pay my next month's Dish bill which is not even due yet!

I would suggest that everyone who has access to their Dish account online and has recently ordered a VIP622 check to see what is happening to their money/payments.

END QUOTE

I would suggest that if you have ordered and paid for a Vip622 through Dish that you fully understand what they can and will do to your payment. Do not be suprised when they call you asking for MORE money or push you to the end of the line saying that you had insuffiient funds for the receiver.

I hope this is information is not correct. I just checked my online account. I pay my bill by auto debit each month. I ordered my 622 on 02/17/06. My acccount shows the $299 credit for the 622 purchase then it shows a redution in my account balance to $213. They deducted my $86 monthly bill from the $299 credit for the 622. My install date is set for 3/25. I am going to call them tomorrow to verify that I will receive the 622 before the install date. Thanks for the heads up!!! :confused:

rgerst said:
I hope this is information is not correct. I just checked my online account. I pay my bill by auto debit each month. I ordered my 622 on 02/17/06. My acccount shows the $299 credit for the 622 purchase then it shows a redution in my account balance to $213. They deducted my $86 monthly bill from the $299 credit for the 622. My install date is set for 3/25. I am going to call them tomorrow to verify that I will receive the 622 before the install date. Thanks for the heads up!!! :confused:

Thank's for your experiences...
I can almost certainly guarantee you that they will not call you, but they will not ship anything to you either... they do not have any to ship! Further, when you reviewed your account you will see that the money is no longer there for the purchase because they have taken it for next months bill. So they won't ship you anything until you put more money in the accoun. this is exactly what trick they played on me today. You ill hear that unless you pay us more money we cannot access the computer to give you an install date.
Do as I did DEMAND that they refund the money they took for the March bill. they will then tell you that they are unable to do this. Get a supervisor they have the overide ability. Have them refund the money back and take it from there. Let us know what grief you get.... and there will be some, but then again, maybe not, as they don't have any units to ship as of yet.

kenny911 said:
That sucks. You must have a lot of money to have 6 HD tv's and spending $6k in receivers...

Thank's Kenny911 -
I love TV and I love HD even more. I got one 921 at first and loved it. I waited months for it to arrive. Even back then Dish were full of delivery promises and guaranteed availability - total BS even the dealers told me they didn't have any at the warehouse. Anyway, when supply got smoother I bought all the rooms the 921 and then i got hooked on the idea of the 922 but someone told me to hold off until the Vip622 (Mpeg4) receivers came out... and here I am.
I don't mind spending money but I don't like being lied to or people misappropriating funds at their whim.
I would willingly pay full retail to get my hands on six Vip622 (cash on delivery, guaranteed!).

I understand. Dishnetwork doesn't value the customer. They think we have no other options etc... I'm not sure why you are willing to go for the 622 after you spent all that money on the 922. What if they pull this stunt again next year? Maybe you should try cable because it doesn't involve any large purchases.

kenny911 said:
I understand. Dishnetwork doesn't value the customer. They think we have no other options etc... I'm not sure why you are willing to go for the 622 after you spent all that money on the 922. What if they pull this stunt again next year? Maybe you should try cable because it doesn't involve any large purchases.

I agree on the cable, and before anyone starts, I am a former Dish Network customer. I too called and see what specials they would offer for a former customer to return after a couple of years, they had nothing, didn't want to offer nothing and didn't care one way or the other. If there is anyone from Dish reading this, up yours !!! !protest I went with DirecTV, not to much better, hell I am considering spending money for c band again. I loved it but at the time couldn't carry it with me when I moved. And no I have no access to cable where I live.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)