Dish/Tribune Dispute

zippyfrog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
I see that Dish/Tribune are going at it. 3 years was the last time there was a dispute, so it makes sense that it is time for this again. It was predicted in another thread after the latest uplink seeing the programming guide being split from the satellite channel. Here in Chicago, there is the threat of losing WGN.

WGN Chicago - Keep My Station

2019: The Summer of Takedowns

Well, we have no Tribune stations here and we don't watch WGN America so this won't affect our household like the Meredith or FSN disputes.

I get a kick out of this. From the Tribune site I have linked above:

"We offered DISH an extension of our current agreement with no increase in rates while we continue to negotiate, and DISH rejected our proposal. Without an agreement in place, we can’t keep providing you with our top-rated local news, live sports, and high-quality entertainment programming."

On the Dishpromise.com page I get:

"We have accepted Tribune Broadcasting Company’s offer to extend the agreement for their stations in order to continue to negotiate. We do not understand why Tribune is threatening to blackout their stations at this point."

So Dish rejected the extension according to Tribune but Dish says they accepted Tribune's offer to the extension :biggrin I can't tell who is telling the truth! Or maybe they both are and are talking about different extensions and deals?

So you'll either have no provider and no channels at all or another provider and another set of disputes.

There are several choices. You can watch OTA for free, sub to a streaming service that has your locals. If there is a dispute with streaming, you can easily switch providers without any loss. No contracts, etc. Years ago there was little choice, but now there are more.

There are several choices. You can watch OTA for free, sub to a streaming service that has your locals. If there is a dispute with streaming, you can easily switch providers without any loss. No contracts, etc. Years ago there was little choice, but now there are more.

All those 'choices' are only available to people who have unlimited hi-speed internet and/or OTA reception which isn't the case around here at all.

All those 'choices' are only available to people who have unlimited hi-speed internet and/or OTA reception which isn't the case around here at all.
While I'm sure that's the case where you live, it's not going to be the case for the majority. MOST people will be able to receive OTA and get decent internet service.

If there is a blackout that would be four channels in Ct. gone, FOX, CBS, CW, WGN. WGN isn't what it was at one time they have dropped a couple of original shows and now most is duplicated on other channels anyway.

Reactions: charlesrshell
If there is a blackout that would be four channels in Ct. gone, FOX, CBS, CW, WGN. WGN isn't what it was at one time they have dropped a couple of original shows and now most is duplicated on other channels anyway.
I see nothing at the uplink site that says they should be gone. Perhaps a temporary outage?

I see nothing at the uplink site that says they should be gone. Perhaps a temporary outage?

IF... they are blacked out. CBS in Ct is already gone Tribune has two networks in Ct that would be a total of three.

I get a kick out of this. From the Tribune site I have linked above:

"We offered DISH an extension of our current agreement with no increase in rates while we continue to negotiate, and DISH rejected our proposal. Without an agreement in place, we can’t keep providing you with our top-rated local news, live sports, and high-quality entertainment programming."

On the Dishpromise.com page I get:

"We have accepted Tribune Broadcasting Company’s offer to extend the agreement for their stations in order to continue to negotiate. We do not understand why Tribune is threatening to blackout their stations at this point."

So Dish rejected the extension according to Tribune but Dish says they accepted Tribune's offer to the extension :biggrin I can't tell who is telling the truth! Or maybe they both are and are talking about different extensions and deals?

I believe DISH because of how DISH worded it. DISH says they accepted Tribune's deal rather than take credit that DISH offered a deal. So far the channels are still there.

Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)