Dish Upcoming Installation question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bucknut33

Original poster
Apr 21, 2018
Tennessee
We are getting dish installed next week. Hopper 3 and wireless joey. However, our cable internet is currently installed in the hookup where the hopper 3 will be installed. Will this be a problem for the installer? Thanks for your help. Appreciate it!

Yes. Can't use the same cable as your internet. I'd consider putting the Hopper where your other room is and the Joey where your internet is, unless that TV is a 4K. In that case, new cable will need to be run for the Hopper

So if I have the cable company and set up the internet in another room, we should not have any issues then, right? Obviously it would be easier if the dish tech could just swap out the outside cables and change outlets for internet to another room.The hopper 3 can then just connect via wifi. Thanks for your help. I appreciate your time.

Reactions: papachops
It will be easier.... if the dish tech swap the cables, clean the house and cook diner ;)
But you understand that the dish tech does not get paid for that. The dish tech does not have the proper equipment to check the cable signal strength (the satellite and the cable TV/Internet run on different frequencies)

That’s the Dish Techs problem to figure out a solution if the cable internet is already using the outlet.

If they need to run a new wire they need to run a new wire.

If the tech doesn’t want to run a new wire, then they can relocate the cable modem if they want to reuse the existing wire.

Remember if you had no existing wiring the tech would run all new wires. That’s part of the basic install.

Never let the tech try to tell you to call the cable company to move the modem so they can use the line that was already being used.
Or vice versa

It’s just as bad as a lady I hooked with Dish and got Comcast internet.

She didn’t have Comcast internet when we hooked up the Dish, so we used the existing wiring.

So Comcast comes out, their tech disconnects the dish to the room where we had the computer, then tells the customer to call us to run a new wire because we used “their” wiring.

I get called out and I gave the customer 2 choices.

1) pay me to run a new line from the dish

2) I’ll hook the dish back up the way we had it and you can call Comcast back to do their job right and run a new wire like they where supposed to.

Needless to say I hooked it back up the way we had it and she called Comcast back.

The rule is if the line is not being used it’s fair game. I don’t care what name it says on the cable.

Last edited:
If there is a option for new line to the hopper, you run a new line, but if there is no option for new line?
If you relocate the Internet in 80% of the cases will work just fine, but some times the signal is to weak or to strong or the line is not good... and what will happend after that? Customer will call the cable company, their tech will come over, disconnect the dish cables, put splitters all over the place and then you need to go again to fix it!

If you live in nice house and dont want more wires hanging on the siding is way better to call the cable company first to have your Internet relocated.
Get the right person for the right job!

I would specify when I placed the order and again when I great the installer how and where I wanted the NEW cables run. If I got any negative feedback I would halt the installation until I got full agreement on my requests or they convinced me of a better solution .
My cable Internet was obviously placed where I wanted it, close to my computer or in a wiring closet. I would not change that unless I was also moving my computer.
The WiFi function is best placed near the center of the house or at least the center of Internet activities. Unfortunately in my home that was not possible so almost every is wired gigabit connections.

Reactions: pattykay
On another note if you want new wire ran, sometimes it’s best to remove the wiring so it has to be replaced then try to tell the installer to run a new line.

It’s like my own techs. I’ll look at a job beforehand and tell them to run all new lines on a job.

They will come back and say everything is good and they used existing lines.

Sure enough 2 months later we get a service call, lines need to replace and of course now the tech wants to get paid because it’s a service call.

I had another job 4 hours away and they had some crappy wiring. The tech I took with me and he would have rather spent 2 hours tracing out the crappy wiring in a 12 unit motel, then spend 6 hours running all new wires.

I reminded the tech it’s 4 hours there, 4 hours back plus gas, and mileage.

Spend the extra 4 hours doing it right and never have to come back again.

But most techs are lazy like this. They want to get in and out, which mostly happens with contractors or direct employees as they likely are not the ones coming back to fix it.

Unlike a retailer

On another note if you want new wire ran, sometimes it’s best to remove the wiring so it has to be replaced then try to tell the installer to run a new line.

It’s like my own techs. I’ll look at a job beforehand and tell them to run all new lines on a job.

They will come back and say everything is good and they used existing lines.

Sure enough 2 months later we get a service call, lines need to replace and of course now the tech wants to get paid because it’s a service call.

I had another job 4 hours away and they had some crappy wiring. The tech I took with me and he would have rather spent 2 hours tracing out the crappy wiring in a 12 unit motel, then spend 6 hours running all new wires.

I reminded the tech it’s 4 hours there, 4 hours back plus gas, and mileage.

Spend the extra 4 hours doing it right and never have to come back again.

But most techs are lazy like this. They want to get in and out, which mostly happens with contractors or direct employees as they likely are not the ones coming back to fix it.

Unlike a retailer
This contractor chooses to take the extra time to do it right :)

And then laugh at the guys who give me a hard time about it with high TC rates while mine is sitting at 0% right now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts