Dish Upgrade, 811 and "Moving" - Dilemma?

Xanthophyll J. Carotene

Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Longtime Lurker, first time poster:

I have a bit of a dilemma here. I want to upgrade my 811 when the switch is made in order to take advantage of the local HD channels. I live in the middle of nowhere MN and there is no possible way to get signals via antenna.

The problem is this: I have a DISH 500 and my service address and billing address are different.

In order for me to take advantage of the $49 upgrade, DISH would have to come out and not only change my receiver, but put a new dish up as well. This could be a real problem. I don't have the expertise to put a new 1000 up, and don't think this would be an option anyway, my understanding is that is has to be a professional install. Suggestions? :confused:

Thanks in advance

XJC

I sure hope you setup a cookie to remeber your login name! :)

I can't remember but I thought that the professional install included a new dish and vip211 for $98

Xanthophyll J. Carotene said:
Longtime Lurker, first time poster:
I have a bit of a dilemma here. I want to upgrade my 811 when the switch is made in order to take advantage of the local HD channels. I live in the middle of nowhere MN and there is no possible way to get signals via antenna.
The problem is this: I have a DISH 500 and my service address and billing address are different.
In order for me to take advantage of the $49 upgrade, DISH would have to come out and not only change my receiver, but put a new dish up as well. This could be a real problem. I don't have the expertise to put a new 1000 up, and don't think this would be an option anyway, my understanding is that is has to be a professional install. Suggestions? :confused:
Thanks in advance
XJC

" Move " back to your real address, get the new receiver installed , call back the next day and " move " back to your fake address. I 've done it for service calls in the past and called and "moved" back the same day. It 's easy .

Mike-

That's a crazy idea...... Hmmm.... it just might work!

So you've never had the installer question you? Did you manage to get the locals back to your fake address? Wonder how long I would have to call in advance and be without my locals at my real address?

Thanks for the info Mike. I'm a bit nervous about doing this (I have no idea why) but what the hell.....

I "moved" back to my real home address in Beaumont after Hurricane Rita destroyed my old dish. After the installer got both a side sat dish installed and my dish 500 installed I called to confirm the appointment was complete with Dishnetwork. I then hung up and called right back to Dish within 5 minutes, and told them "Here is my new service address I moved to: yada, yada ,yada. Had Houston locals again within 2 minutes of the call.

The sat companies know that people "move" to get the locals they want. The key in the law is that the sat providers can not "Knowingly " sell you out of market locals. Don't tell them and they won't ask. Just keep your billing address the same throughout and just change your service address. THey have call in centers all over the U.S. and overseas too. You never get the same csr twice. They even have a number to push now when you call them just for moving.

Now that is convenient.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts